a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A random question.

shayne1smith

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am sure you are all tired of answering questions pertaining to tattoos but hopefully this one is something you haven't heard before.

Ok I have a shit ton of tattoos and I plan on leaving for France in the next few months. I realize tattoos are not an issue in the Legion face neck whatever it's all good. But I have to ask this as I am setting up an appointment to get tattooed soon.

Will brightly colored tattoos affect my ability to make it in? Not on my chest or back but on my hand and throat as well as the back of my neck. I am planning on getting my throat finished with brightly colored red roses that will sleeve pretty much my entire neck up under my chin all my throat (that isn't already covered) and all the way up the sides of my neck behind my ears.

Now I have done the research and even e-mailed the Legion several times once in French even and have received nothing of use on the matter. I have seen pictures of people in uniform with neck and hand pieces but always in black and grey.

I ask only because I want my throat and vital areas finished and tattooed by someone I trust here in the States before I leave. I don't want to be walking around for 5 years or however long with an unfinished piece on my throat. I hope you can understand my bringing it up despite however annoying the "can I get in with such and such issue" questions are.

So the question is. Highly visible/brightly colored tattoos on the throat neck and hands, will they affect a possible candidates ability to join?

I have pictures of my tattoos up on my profile if you need a frame of reference for my tattoo situation. Thanks a ton guys.

Duke Paerson

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I am sure you are all tired of answering questions pertaining to tattoos but hopefully this one is something you haven't heard before.

Ok I have a shit ton of tattoos and I plan on leaving for France in the next few months. I realize tattoos are not an issue in the legion face neck whatever its all good. But I have to ask this as I am setting up an appointment to get tattooed soon.

Will brightly colored tattoos affect my ability to make it in? Not on my chest or back but on my hand and throat as well as the back of my neck. I am planning on getting my throat finished with brightly colored red roses that will sleeve pretty much my entire neck up under my chin all my throat (that isn't already covered) and all the way up the sides of my neck behind my ears.

Now I have done the research and even E-mailed the legion several times once in French even and have received nothing of use on the matter. I have seen pictures of people in uniform with neck and hand pieces but always in black and grey.

I ask only because I want my Throat and vital areas finished and tattooed by someone I trust here in the states before I leave. I don't want to be walking around for 5 years or however long with an unfinished piece on my throat. I hope you can understand my bringing it up despite however annoying the "can I get in with such and such issue" questions are.

So the question is. Highly visible/brightly colored tattoos on the throat neck and hands, will they affect a possible candidates ability to join?

I have pictures of my tattoos up on my profile if you need a frame of reference for my tattoo situation. Thanks a ton guys.

You got one thing right matey......WE ARE TIRED OF SEEING/ANSWERING STUPID MUTHER FU***ING QUESTIONS SIMILAR TO YOURS, EITHER GET A LIFE OR GET A TICKET TO FRANCE. what is this, brain dead week?

shayne1smith

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah the search didn't really help.

Some people who were heavily tattooed didn't make it but one had a Fin swastika and some of the others got pretty wishy washy answers from non legionaries or people just saying the most ignorant things. No one that asked tattoo questions joined and let the forum know what happened and no one gave definitive answers. One guy mentions a Maori who joined and had his face heavily tattooed but again Maori face tattoos are in black and grey and this information is not very good. The only person even close to being as heavily tattooed as me asked questions and he never even left to France.

I am asking a specific question and if no one in this forum has the ability to answer it I am ok with that but obviously I am going to try.

I am going to have my ENTIRE THROAT AND NECK COVERED IN A COLORED TATTOO THAT EXTEND BEHIND MY EARS AND UNDER MY CHIN.

Does anyone ACTUALLY know if brightly colored tattoos are a different animal than just being heavily tattooed?

I have spent hours reading this forum I deeply appreciate its members and information but I do not want any witty comments or judgments.

BafuD

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Well just in case, don't take them if you're joining the Legion. :p

shayne1smith

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You got one thing right matey......WE ARE TIRED OF SEEING/ANSWERING STUPID MUTHER FU***ING QUESTIONS SIMILAR TO YOURS, EITHER GET A LIFE OR GET A TICKET TO FRANCE. what is this, brain dead week?
How about you pay my ticket to France and I wont care to ask questions?

So since I am not "Brain dead" I think I will keep asking the relevant questions about my ability to join so that when I quit my job spend over a 1000 dollars and take a very big risk to join a foreign army I have done everything in my power to make it through selection and become a legionnaire as apposed to your plan which is to show up with no idea what I am doing and possibly get turned away for something simple I could have avoided and waste a lot of money and the Legions time/resources.

Excuse me for doing my best to learn and being serious about joining. Would anyone else like to not answer my question or say something that is in no way helpful?

Last edited by a moderator:

libertypo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
You are brain dead after all. You don't get it, do you?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Haha yeah this is my plan if I cannot get a good answer from anyone. But I wanted to ask as opposed to not even trying :) I just really like tattoos and wanted this one done haha

The main reason you can't get an straight answer is because there isn't one. One guy might get it and another with the same tats not.
Personally I would think that you are far better off not to get your tats finished. If I were a recruiter, I would wonder why you feel the need to be so highly visible.

shayne1smith

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The main reason you can't get an straight answer is because there isn't one. One guy might get it and another with the same tats not.
Personally I would think that you are far better off not to get your tats finished. If I were a recruiter, I would wonder why you feel the need to be so highly visible.

Thank you very much good solid advice I will take to heart.

muller

Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
HI

I have ton of tattoos myself and I contacted a friend who was in the so called 'gestapo' in the Legion. He said that tattoos are ok if you can hide them under long sleeve clothes. Some are ok on the face, but any gang or racial offensive tattoos will get you on their (**** off list). I am planing to try to get into the Legion next year WHEN MY DIVORCE WITH MY WIFE IS SETTLED.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Joe, the 'old wise man' has spoken. Tattoos are not a problem per se, but they could become one by what they may reveal of your own psychology or your past. Standard 'tribal' tattoos that are seen everywhere may not be a problem (even on your neck), as it can be considered like the 'fashion of the day' but strange, racially or religiously connoted or highly conspicuous ones may be a cause for rejection. Let alone that you'll have problems to get FOMEC...

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Let alone that you'll have problems to get FOMEC...

Hahaha Rapace. Never thought of that - but it's a very good point especially if you've got bright red roses and yellow tulips all over your face and neck like the OP!

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What the hell, I'll be the one to ask.. What's FOMEC?

Cosmetics Grimm. Cosmetics like lipstick and eye liner and mascara. You must put it on before going off for some fun or the boys will never fancy you :)

It's a bit like muff marmalade - makes something look more appealing (or scary) than it really is LOL :)

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hahahahaha, now the comment about the pretty pink, ahem, i mean manly red roses tattoo running up his neck makes so much more awkward sense. Merci messieurs.

In other news I am rethinking my own plans for a rainbow unicorn tattoo on my ass after Kron's caporal-chef allemande comment. I've decided to make it bruise purple and fecking another male unicorn as this is far more macho and manly. Please excuse while I now choke on my own oversized, um, sarcasm. ahem.