a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining question

santiago0812

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Firstly I would like to apologize if something similar to this has already been asked.

I am curious as to whether the following would be a conceivable plan. If i was to study undergraduate economics in the United States (Virginia military institute) I will be 22 when I graduate, from there if I do graduate study for 2 years in France I will be eligible for French citizenship and I will be 25years old upon completing graduate studies.
From this point (assuming I now have French citizenship, can speak French, and have undergraduate and graduate degrees) would I be able to become an officer in the Legion(or in the regular French Army), and if so how would I go about doing this?

Thank you for your time

Desefortunadamente

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Whoa, slow down there guy! You're getting a little ahead of yourself aren't you? One too many hypotheticals and variables, take it a step at time.

I'll leave you with the Dalai Llama's take on mankind; "He is so anxious about the future that he doesn’t enjoy the present. And as a result he doesn’t live in the present or the future. And he lives as if he’s never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived.".

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So a student at VMI- Lexington , the West Point of the South. As I recall you have to join the ROTC but on graduation you are not required to join the US armed forces thereafter. Since you must be a member of the ROTC why don't you join your own services?
No way will you get to St. Cyr, graduate and become a French Army officer. Serve Uncle Sam ! Even try to join Uncle Sam's Misguided Children for a military career. That is if it is your genuine aim to become a commissioned officer. Alternatively : 'dream on.'
Per Mare per Terram- Semper Fidelis- In Pace Decus In Bello Praesidium.

scum of the earth

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
My cousin went from Australia to France and is now in the École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr being trained to be a French officer. Why do you want to go though ? Are you French ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
From this point (assuming I now have French citizenship, can speak French, and have undergraduate and graduate degrees) would I be able to become an officer in the Legion(or in the regular French Army), and if so how would I go about doing this?
The question is a bit long-winded, but to cut a long story short IF you have French citizenship, you have exactly the same rights as any other French citizen. So you may decide to follow the same cursus as anybody wanting to become an officer in the French Army (typically St-Cyr Military Academy, the equivalent of West Point in the US). However, there's no guarantee you'll be assigned to a Legion regiment after you graduate.

polca01

Reaction score
Home Country
Morocco
Eligible for French citizenship? After only two years? You're dreaming my friend... The fastest way to be French in the Legion 3 years.. By mariage 4 years.. Or living in france for 10 years. Even having a French child doesn't give you the right to have the residency card of 10 years.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The question is a bit long-winded, but to cut a long story short IF you have French citizenship, you have exactly the same rights as any other French citizen. So you may decide to follow the same cursus as anybody wanting to become an officer in the French Army (typically St-Cyr Military Academy, the equivalent of West Point in the US). However, there's no guarantee you'll be assigned to a Legion regiment after you graduate.

I understand Legionaries are restricted on how high they can climb the ladder being foreign ,but if the get citizenship could they be a captain and higher ?

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
They are not restricted at all, but if on use the smallest bit of logic, it is obvious that if you start from zero (private) the road to the top is longer than for the kids that starts in the middle after university.

However I know of one legionnaire that reached the rank of two star general.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Eligible for French citizenship? After only two years? You're dreaming my friend... The fastest way to be French in the Legion 3 years.. By mariage 4 years.. Or living in france for 10 years. Even having a French child doesn't give you the right to have the residency card of 10 years.
Unless you're wounded in action while serving in the Legion, according a law passed in 1999. Then the French citizenship is granted automatically if you request it, even if you have only 6 months service.

scum of the earth

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Unless you're wounded in action while serving in the Legion, according a law passed in 1999. Then the French citizenship is granted automatically if you request it, even if you have only 6 months service.
‘Français par le sang versé’.

Zanzara

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
To get naturalized, you need to pay taxes for 3 years before you make the request. Keep in mind that in order to start paying taxes you need to get rectified first, which is actually a pretty quick and easy thing nowadays.

On the other hand you don't have to have French citizenship to go to Saint-Cyr, but the quota for foreigners is logically pretty low. Anyway, to go there, you need to be an NCO, have a neat record and IQ scores (yep, the ones you get in Aubagne when you're a blue) and of course be proposed by the ‘big heads’. Pass all the tests, get accepted, do your thing and two years later you're a lieutenant.

... but seeing that nowadays an EV section numbers in less than 30 EVs selected in 3 weeks compared to 50 or 60 in 2 weeks from years before... you have other worries my friend. I'm a Cpl in Castel, before I went on vacation last week one EV fraction (EVs that get selected in one week) arrived. You know how many they were? Six.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
They are not restricted at all, but if on use the smallest bit of logic, it is obvious that if you start from zero (private) the road to the top is longer than for the kids that starts in the middle after university.

However I know of one legionnaire that reached the rank of two star general.

Was he French of foreign?

Zartan

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So a student at VMI- Lexington , the West Point of the South. As I recall you have to join the ROTC but on graduation you are not required to join the US armed forces thereafter. Since you must be a member of the ROTC why don't you join your own services?

You aren't technically in the ROTC at VMI, you're in the Virginia Corps of Cadets. It's just a military style school, like the Citadel. There's no guarantee of any comission into any of the armed forces, you'd have to apply for an officer position the same as someone who went to any other college.

A guy I train with graduated from VMI and enlisted in the US Army. He's in the Army Special Forces pipeline right now.

Personally, I can't figure out why someone would go to a military style college if they didn't have to, much less pay for it themselves, but hey, to each their own. I'd rather go to a school full of hotties and have the option of chasing ass.