a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion WWII uniform

Broncs

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Next month I have my first WWII rifle match of the year. While it is not required many people dress like military to whos rifle they use. I am having a hard time finding any good WWII legion photos and I mostly see them wearing berets or kepis but am not sure if those were actually publicity dog and pony pictures or actual combat ones. So any advice or help here will be greatly appreciated!!!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
In the counter attack at Bir Hakeim, they wear the Kepi.

Hannibal_Barca

Reaction score
Home Country
Lesotho
Next month I have my first WWII rifle match of the year. While it is not required many people dress like military to whos rifle they use. I am having a hard time finding any good WWII legion photos and I mostly see them wearing berets or kepis but am not sure if those were actually publicity dog and pony pictures or actual combat ones. So any advice or help here will be greatly appreciated!!!
Well, it depends where you live and what kind of Legionnaire do you want to be. You can choose a winter uniform as used at Bjervik (1940), an African style uniform as used at Bir Hakeim (1942), or you can even choose a tropical uniform from Tonkin (1945). But the latter would be a bit tricky as you will need to find a good old fashioned tropical helmet and of course if you live in Florida a winter uniform might not be such a good idea.

Broncs

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well seeing as I live in Montana and there could still be snow on the ground for the match the winter one would work if you have pictures!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I believe they were the same as we wore, English uniforms with Legion buttons. We did change those types of uniform around 1963. I am not sure about the combat uniforms.

Broncs

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I did come across a sight where they made 1/6 dioramas and were meticulous with detail and the had one of a legionnaire from North Africa wearing a US jacket with French pants. just not sure how correct that is...

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
On some pictures from Indochina you see a mismatch of uniforms in a combat situation. (need, supply and demand).

Hannibal_Barca

Reaction score
Home Country
Lesotho
Well seeing as I live in Montana and there could still be snow on the ground for the match the winter one would work if you have pictures!
Well, I think that getting the uniform of a Legionnaire from Narvik (1940) could be a bit challenging for you (puttees, heavy white socks, sheepskin canadienne etc.), but you shouldn't have too much difficulties finding the uniform of a legionnaire from 13th D.B.L.E. from Italy in 1944. What you need to find is US Army "chino" shirt and slacks, M1923 web rifle belt, M 1938 leggings, the Cross of Lorraine sleeve patch on left sleeve, a fourragere in the red flecked with light green of the Croix de Guerre 1939-1945. For the head you use the khaki beret of French Fortress Troops' pattern and you put on it the gold diagonal braids indicating your rank. For example you use two braids for "Sergent".

I could send you the illustration of this man, but I'm afraid I have no idea how to upload a picture let alone make a snapshot of it from the book. Can ask my young friend here, if you're interested, whose more computer savvy than me.

And you better hurry up... Once Obama gets his hands on your weapons, you'll be lucky to keep your meat cleaver or electrical blender.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
View attachment 3106View attachment 3107View attachment 3108Posted for Hannibal-Barca:
Since Bronco is an American I think it would be easier for him to use Legion uniform from 1943-45. It's pretty simple. Until Tunisia campaign (1943) the French Foreign Legion used British uniforms and equipment, which is why you can see foreign legionnaires at Bir Hakeim wearing British battle dress and helmets. After Tunisia Campaign (1943) the French Foreign legion wore American uniforms and helmets. I think most simple is that uniform of a sergeant from the 13th DBLE in Rome. He only needs to find that Fortress beret. I think Chaussers Alpins wore a similar one.

There is somewhere on Compagnon de la Liberation website a great picture of De Gaulle visiting Foreign legionnaires in Rome in 1944...

Broncs

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks Voltigeur! I used to own that book And should probably go out and get it again.

Hannibal_Barca

Reaction score
Home Country
Lesotho
Here is the only photo I was able to find on the internet of General De Gaulle inspecting the troops of the 13th DBLE in Rome in 1944. That's the visit I was referring in my message to Johannes. There ought to be more of them but alas I cannot find them.
http://www.kwaak99.demon.nl/Buitekant, M.htm

A few extra photos from Rome in 1944. Particularly interesting is a photo below of a legionnaire holding a Legion pennant. As you can see he wears a simple US style uniform with a French Fortress Troops beret.
http://www.1dfl.fr/decouvrez-ses-unites/13e-dble/

Gold diagonal braids on a beret of a Legion NCO.
http://www.ordredelaliberation.fr/fr_compagnon/442.html

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The cravate verte (green tie) was a surplus left over from the WW2 French Chantiers de Jeunesse around '46.

1518839715729.png

For the green beret it was it was first issued to the Legion paras and then became the official headress of the Legion for excecise and daily garrison work in '59. I did spend my last 11 months in the museum in Aubagne.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I believe they were the same as we wore, English uniforms with Legion buttons. We did change those types of uniform around 1963. I am not sure about the combat uniforms.
If my memory serves me right, it was King Louis Philippe Ier who said that the legion should have their battle dress with gold colored buttons (boutons dorés) which they still have but are used with the green and red "chasse mouches" épaulettes de tradition.

Here is great video about this subject.

Thanks Dusa. A mention that Puyloubier has a museum of Legion uniforms open to the public.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The Legion grenade has 7 flames (not like the one we see in the video shown on their sleeves by the American re-enactors).