a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull Ups

SwampPearl

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I've read a few books about the FFL from ex legionaries around different time periods, and in most, they emphasize the importance of upper body strength. Not more or less for push ups, but for the pull up test, which in my last book was 10 reps. Is the FFL still serious about the amount of pulls ups you can do? In one of my books, the squad couldn't go into the mess unless each member did 10 reps on a bar above the doorway.

Last edited:

K9-

Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Mate in every army its important to have upper body strength and FFL isnt exemption! Ad stop reading books.. do something ;)

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
All armies do pull ups, you got the push ups for the pushing muscles and the pull ups for the pulling muscles, there you just trained all the major muscles of your upper body. And 10 is not that many, any young man in decent shape could achieve that amount fairly easily with some training. If you can't achieve 10, your not putting the effort into it, or you need to shed some weight.

SwampPearl

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Mate in every army its important to have upper body strength and FFL isnt exemption! Ad stop reading books.. do something ;)

Shut up armchairgeneral, I know how important pull ups are, I was asking do they still do 10 pull ups before lunch etc... If you dont know, dont be such a smart alec, your not clever :l

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I've seen some different videos and most of the time they seemed to be doing it in sets of 6. But don't take that number to seriously, you just do as many as they tell you to do.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Shut up armchairgeneral, I know how important pull ups are, I was asking do they still do 10 pull ups before lunch etc... If you dont know, dont be such a smart alec, your not clever :l

I dunno if its done in Regiment, but in my selection we had to do 10 before breakfast. Most of us couldn't but we had to stay on the bar trying til the duty CCH told us to get off.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
It probably depends on the whim of your CCH or who ever is bossing you around at the moment.

Citlal28

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Funnily enough, Acording to the last time I checked the Legion Recrute site (around 10-sep-2016) the required amount of pull ups to pass selection is 3... Maybe a new green can enlighten us???

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Funnily enough, Acording to the last time I checked the Legion Recrute site (around 10-sep-2016) the required amount of pull ups to pass selection is 3... Maybe a new green can enlighten us???

Actualy I think the minimum requirement is 4. However during selection if you can do 4 and a fifth looks unlikely than those that are pumping out 10s and 15s are going to be the ones going through.

To get into the REP which is a French para regiment the minimum required is 4, but if that ia all you can do when you finish basic, no point in expecting to go to the REP. Rope climbing, pull ups and pressups all have there raison d'etre in the army, as does running and long marches.

There is so much competition to get in and you are on the forum, so why not put as much as possible on your side and go for 12 pull ups. There will be no point in pointing out to the CCH that French army regulations say that...

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Shoot for 30! **** the minimum.

Also remember you will be tired and maybe stressed with less food, different food and less sleep and do the run first. So train far far far far above the minimum. you want to do 12 -15 at your worst. :)

Buner101

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
Funnily enough, Acording to the last time I checked the Legion Recrute site (around 10-sep-2016) the required amount of pull ups to pass selection is 3...
I checked it also and yes it states 3 as You wrote.Personally i think of it :"that is a f@ckin minimum if you wish to get your @ss through the door , dont bother us if you cant do at least that, better stay where you are now and lose some of that fat you carry".