a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Year and Counting...

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have set my goal to leave for France about a year from now. I know it's kind of a ways out but I have some ends to tie up here (bridges are better crossed unburnt). So I came up with a checklist of things I think I ought to do or at least will behoove me to have completed. This is all based on my research concerning the matter and information provided on this forum:

-PRK Surgery - Correcting my vision to 20/20, no scarring and no side-effects for high-impact or high-altitudes.
-Swimming Proficiency - I'm already a decent swimmer, but hell, it couldn't hurt to be better.
-Scuba Diving Certification - I haven't done it before, I've wanted to for a while now, and I heard it could give me a leg up on the competition.
-Climbing Proficiency - I've climbed before, I'm alright, but again, it couldn't hurt to be better
-Orienteering Proficiency - I've done Land Navigation when I was in the military, I was decent at it but I want to brush-up on my skills (and it's fun to do)
-Shooting Proficiency - I qualified as expert shot in pistol and rifle in the military (and a bazillion other weapon systems as well), I've done reflexive fire and MOUT (okay I just want a reason to throw lead down range)
-First-Aid Proficiency - Been there and done that (quit a few times) but I need to get re-certified.
-Psychometric Testing Proficiency - I don't know if I've done one before but since I heard they administer the test for the FFL I figured it would be best to study.
-Krav Maga and Muay Thai - I've done both before and I'm regularly on a heavy bag for my workouts, but again, you can never be too proficient in kicking someone's ass.
-GPP and SPP (Beep Test) - I'm in really good shape, but I figured the only way to get better at a Beep Test is doing Beep Tests.
-Basic French Language Proficiency - I'm going through Pimselur Language course, Assimili Language Course and Rosetta Stone as well as studying under a tutor so hopefully I wont be an abject failure in speaking and understanding French when I get there.

Any critiques or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

CanadianBorn

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
That's quite the list of things to do/accomplish. Hope ya stay motivated. Puts my list to shame.

- Show up

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Feck me I decided in a minute, 4 hours later I was on the ferry.

When will you guy,s understand. the Legion will TEACH you all that you need to know.

Follow Stoengs (hope to god I spelt that right :) ) fitness training is a very good idea ( it even gives you a real insight to how the Legion works, if you read what he is really saying)

Or don't, I had been a civie for a few years and all I did was run around the block a few times, ( pissed ) while waiting for the ferry, at 29 years old I still passed the entrance exam....

I was surprised to discover that you could sign a contract for only 5 years, I thought it really was for life..
THAT'S how naieve I was about what to expect in the Legion

And NEVER did the Legion let me down,

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
You're thinking too much. Why would suba diving be useful?????

Get off your arse and go. Bridges can be rebuilt.

O

Ossis. O

Unregistered
Mr Suck,be nice to your neighbours dog, never trust a skinny butcher,real men do not use straws and if you are going to get your knuckles tattooed,make sure love is on the right hand.Anything else I can think of that may be useful in your quest to join the Legion I will add. Regards

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
17 across do I go or don't I in a year. Well if you take that long you never will go. Till proved otherwise just another dream chaser.

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Ossis, what happend to the link to the preacher photo?

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Not the same photo, but the one from the front of the dvd will do, Must be my favorite Robert Mitchum film :) just noticed you linked the two photo's...

O

Ossis. O

Unregistered
Wolff,on a serious note...the Mrs is the church goer for both of us.She has been lighting a candle for you every Sunday morning. Sincerely Ossie

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Seriously, that is very touching, Please give her my thanks. My Mme has just seen that and she is literally in tears.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Wolff just get better man after the op and rest up and get well that's all the brotherhood want all the best mon brave.

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Once again Thanks Martin but we really are getting off subject here the OP, need's ...... how can I put it.......

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Krony and a night in the foyer or a swift size nine Ranger up the arse.

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Maybe size 10.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
17 across do I go or don't I in a year. Well if you take that long you never will go. Till proved otherwise just another dream chaser.

Can you enlighten me as to what dreams I might be chasing? I'm not an idealist and I don't have anything to prove.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Mr Suck,be nice to your neighbours dog, never trust a skinny butcher,real men do not use straws (Don Shipley)and if you are going to get your knuckles tattooed,make sure love is on the right hand.Anything else I can think of that may be useful in your quest to join the Legion I will add. Regards

Tattooed knuckles... Check
No Straw... Check
Neighbors Dog... Check
Skinny Butcher... Check

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Feck me I decided in a minute, 4 hours later I was on the ferry.

When will you guy,s understand. the Legion will TEACH you all that you need to know.

Follow Stoengs (hope to god I spelt that right :) ) fitness training is a very good idea ( it even gives you a real insight to how the Legion works, if you read what he is really saying)

Or don't, I had been a civie for a few years and all I did was run around the block a few times, ( pissed ) while waiting for the ferry, at 29 years old I still passed the entrance exam....

I was surprised to discover that you could sign a contract for only 5 years, I thought it really was for life..
THAT'S how naieve I was about what to expect in the Legion

And NEVER did the Legion let me down,

I appreciate the info. The fitness aspect of things I'm not worried about and I do understand that the Legion will teach you everything you need to know. It's the getting accepted aspect I'm working on. I'm not forking out every last dime I have to go to France naïvely thinking that I got this thing in the bag and that because of the awesomeness that exudes from my pores I will be able to walk my "privileged" American ass to the Legion gates and they will commence begging me to join. I'm brushing up on the skills that I have (or had) so that when I fill out that piece of paper they will know that I'm serious about it, I've thought about my decision, that I want it and that I'm not going to quit because I'm not making great money and living the romantic dream that I thought the Legion would be. From what I gather they're not exactly hurting for people and the competition is thick - full of very motivated people that have no where else to go (for whatever reason).

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
EmbraceTheSuck,

Stop twiddling and sucking your thumbs. Get all your affairs in order a.s.a.p. and go. As you say you will, if accepted, be taught all you need to know. Anything else is peripheral.
Chas 99% need not apply.

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Ever heard about being over qualified, what ever you may know, if the Legion wants you to do that, they will TEACH you the Legion way of doing it, and the last thing they want or need is some smartarse thinking he already knows a better way of doing the same thing. basically the proportion of ex special forces who apply and are turned away is because of this very simple reason, no point in learning French either, They will still teach you, you think you can iron a shirt, guess what you will be taught in the first week. it's not rocket science you just have to shut up and do what you are told, which for a long time will be cleaning, so why not get a job as a cleaner in your year of preparation? stop thinking just go for it.

okidoki

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I'm brushing up on the skills that I have (or had) so that when I fill out that piece of paper they will know that I'm serious about it, I've thought about my decision
They may also think this fella would have many oportunities elsewhere why is he here....just get fit and go, if your fit go.