a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2e REP elements dropped between Libya and Niger

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The French MoD announced that, as part of “Opération Barkhane” 3 platoons of 2e REP were dropped last night in the area of the Salvador pass, between Niger and Libya. The Salvador pass is a natural communication line between the two countries and is often used by the jihadists to travel between Libya, Niger, Algeria and Mali. It's not said whether any engagement took place so far. More info on this probably later.

Edit : actually the operation took place on 7 April, but was only announced today.

Below a map showing the location.

View attachment 5117

Wigan1992

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Does the report mention they parachuted in or was they dropped by vehicle?

Wigan1992

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
No Don Pedro I was wide awake. It's just with my experience of airbourne forces in Britain, when they say x y and z have been deployed you can guarantee it wasn't via an air drop as the last time they parachuted into combat was ww2... Which again is a refreshing difference to the Legion jumping in doing what there trained to do, I understand what your saying though mate .. And you proberly know they was airdropped in without checking because you know the Legion way.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Does the report mention they parachuted in or was they dropped by vehicle?
No, regular airdrop (with parachutes). Strangely this operation received very little publicity so far... IMHO given the small size of the detachment it was probably targeting a specific individual (or group of individuals). May be a convoy coming from / going to Libya. We'll see.

Wigan1992

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Rapace certainly one to keep our eyes on then, would of thought they where facing more than a group of individuals having deployed 3 platoons though?

Troubadour

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
An Airborne unit that is still making combat jumps! Feckin' bad mofos. The last U.S jump I am aware of, was done into friendly territory just so people could get their combat jump wings back in like 2003.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/airborne-jumps.htm

Looks like Rangers did a freefall jump in 2005 though, but other than that the last real jump was into Afghanistan in 2001. Combat jumps always make me pumped for some reason, it's just the most badass way to deploy that I can think of.

Wigan1992

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
An Airborne unit that is still making combat jumps! Feckin' bad mofos. The last U.S jump I am aware of, was done into friendly territory just so people could get their combat jump wings back in like 2003.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/airborne-jumps.htm

Looks like Rangers did a freefall jump in 2005 though, but other than that the last real jump was into Afghanistan in 2001. Combat jumps always make me pumped for some reason, it's just the most badass way to deploy that I can think of.
No apart from special forces regiments no British or American units parachuted into Afghan as far as regular airbourne forces are concered... Jumping on to a friendly DZ doesn't count my friend.

DarthShizNit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Given the fact that a large number of Libyan Jihadist have claimed loyalty to ISIS recently, the French could very well be the be among the first western power to find themselves tangling with them in a ground fight in one of these border guarding actions.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Given the fact that a large number of Libyan Jihadist have claimed loyalty to ISIS recently, the French could very well be the be among the first western power to find themselves tangling with them in a ground fight in one of these border guarding actions.

Sounds familiar, to me, what's his name of that Texan clown... :D

Wigan1992

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think it's inevitable that the Legion will at some point be knocking at ISIS's door... What a sorry day that will be for them may I add.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
No Don Pedro I was wide awake. It's just with my experience of airbourne forces in Britain, when they say x y and z have been deployed you can guarantee it wasn't via an air drop as the last time they parachuted into combat was ww2... Which again is a refreshing difference to the Legion jumping in doing what there trained to do, I understand what your saying though mate .. And you proberly know they was airdropped in without checking because you know the Legion way.
The last time 2 REP was ‘deployed’ it was to jump on Timbuktu, in Mali, in 2013. Two Cies were concerned : 2nd and 3rd Cie. Any idea which Cie was dropped this time, taking in account that the best prepared are the 2nd cie because it is the mountain cie, but they are on VIGIPIRATE in Paris, so they cannot be in Africa ! They won't be pleased when they discover they missed the feast !

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hope it's my old company the 1ere cie. But we shall have to wait and see bro!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The last time 2 REP was ‘deployed’ it was to jump on Timbuktu, in Mali, in 2013. Two Cies were concerned : 2nd and 3rd Cie. Any idea which Cie was dropped this time, taking in account that the best prepared are the 2nd cie because it is the mountain cie, but they are on VIGIPIRATE in Paris, so they cannot be in Africa ! They won't be pleased when they discover they missed the feast !
No details given (or ‘leaked’) so far... Seems like the MoD wants to keep the whole stuff very low key. May be because the 2e REP elements were dropped in a place where they were not supposed to be? Only pure speculation on my part, don't take it as anything close to verified information.

Below a video of the early days of ‘Opération Serval’ in Jan 2013, with, among other things, the preparation and the night drop on Timbuktu. Loustic, some faces may be familiar to you... One can also Rafale fighters being prepared by the Air Forces guys (and gals...) for a sortie.

[video=youtube;zGDIDGMcbaM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDIDGMcbaM[/video]

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Well it's all speculation till we have concrete details.

But I'd wager if they were after a group or some high value target that the REP platoons are acting as security and heavy firepower for one of France's special ops units. There was talk in the past of having the REP take on a role similar to the U.S. Army Rangers who often accompany Delta Force on missions as backup and security while Delta gets to work. They were never there for show as they were engaged many times.

They could just be using the REP in this role ‘unofficially’ in the absence of an official designation and role.
Of course I could be wrong.... but then again, maybe not... ;)

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) But I'd wager if they were after a group or some high value target that the REP platoons are acting as security and heavy firepower for one of France's special ops units. There was talk in the past of having the REP take on a role similar to the U.S. Army Rangers who often accompany Delta Force on missions as backup and security while Delta gets to work. They were never there for show as they were engaged many times. (...)
Sure... It's definitely a 'plausible' scenario.

Below a link to an article on RFI (Radio France Internationale) website. They confirm that an OAP (Opération Aéro-portée), the French term for combat jump took place near the Salvador pass. The operation was done in collaboration with ground troops of the Niger army. No details given about the unit involved and the number of paras dropped.
The goal was clearly to intercept elements going to or coming from Libya. A number of suspects were captured with radio com equipment and binoculars that were probably spotters. The main convoy targeted apparently managed to go through.

Salvador pass operation

First time elements of ‘Opération Barkhane’ are deployed so up North...