a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another pic of a legionniare

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I guess the 1er RE Colonel has the final say and sets the criteria. In British culture heavily tattooed people are often seen as either gang members/criminals or mentally insecure by old school employers hence they don't usually get to work in high positions in government or the private sector, it also seems to go with the British class system, lads who come of a council estate are more likely to be covered in tats than someone who's ex public school. I don't know if French culture sees this the same way. If so, a French Colonel may prefer not to have his men heavily tattooed due to the stigma attached.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It can mean whatever you want it to mean surf guy. No clue about your culture. You cannot go anywhere in America without seeing someone heavily tattooed. Guess the entire country is mental, in a gang or a criminal. Isnt that right nick fury?. HAHHAHAA. You have some ink alright and you teach English to school children. Man, you are dangerous you naughty naughty boy Nick;). That must mean I am mental too. HA. Ill take it.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
It can mean whatever you want it to mean surf guy. No clue about your culture. You cannot go anywhere in America without seeing someone heavily tattooed. Guess the entire country is mental, in a gang or a criminal. Isnt that right nick fury?. HAHHAHAA. You have some ink alright and you teach English to school children. Man, you are dangerous you naughty naughty boy Nick;). That must mean I am mental too. HA. Ill take it.

True tats are hugely popular in the US, though there are still a lot of people and companies that don't like tats. In Korea tats are really looked down upon by many in the older generation...lets say anyone over 40 (though not all). The younger generation, under 30, are getting into it more and more, still not to the levels seen in the US or Europe. I have a lot of tats and a full sleeve but I remain covered at all times at work. Summers are a bitch. :D

In Aubagne I only had a huge chest tat and they didn't care... Primarily the Legion avoids anyone with gang, terror affiliated, Nazi or other racist tats. I don't believe they want anyone with face tats but it isn't always a deal breaker depending on the person's skills and or if the tats are genuinely tribal in nature (i.e. Maori).

That said, IF you are on the edge, excessive tattoos could be held against you IF the officer in question has a negative attitude towards tats. As with all things the person in charge of hiring brings with them their biases.

DCLXVI has been twice and wasn't given a permanent disqualification. That says a lot. I have literally met a dozen or so wannabes from the board and other wise and he is the absolute fittest and most determined guy I've met plus one of the best friends and best roommates I've ever had in my life (and you know how ******* hard it is to find a good roommate...better chance winning the damn lottery). I know other guys who had the motivation and fitness but not to his insane level of fitness and unlike others he has nothing holding him back at home, no loose ends etc. I am confident he will get in this time, granted, as confident as you can be in Legion selection. But I'd wager he has an 80-90% chance due to fitness, determination and wanting a career, as well as his personal history/story....he's taken a ton of shit luck as well as his share of personal mistakes and turned them into ******* fried gold on a stick. ;)

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you Fury,

Sincerely man, thank you. It is too bad the board all doesn't know me in person. Aside from that, I am just a guy like others with my own misfortune and luck, too.
I instead turned it into something else, something heavier. I don't know why I failed twice, but I am not questioning it. I have the third. In the fitness world FAILING is a good thing. We call fail(ing) F.irst A.ttempt I.n L.earning.
I kept my mind and body strong, in the most insurmountable of odds and in a place where most men on this forum, maybe 3 percent have ever been and came out alive and used it for the good of himself and turned his entire life around. I ask for no handshakes or highfives. I am not angel. I am no saint. I am no devil or baphomet. I never gave up and never forgot about wanting to become a legionnaire. I didn't ask for she crap I was dealt. I never ask for different cards. I just dealt with the hand dealt and blamed no one and took responsibility and manned up and did every second of all my mistake day for day. I did a Legion contract ALREADY, just elsewhere. Nick and I became friends in both dark times. We had everything in common and looked out for one another. Starved together. froze together and even counted our pennies and nickels and dimes to pay for bills and crap food when we were both dirt poor. I have as good as chance as any. I am not special. I am not anything of a miracle.
What I know is that I held on and kept on. I kept fighting. I never transferred anything to anyone and I sucked it all up. Nick is a better friend then one could ask and or hope for. It's time this board knows a few things about a few things. I think SOME guys basically are legionnaires already, even if they actually never make it in.
But here I am still walking tall. Anyone can stop reading my tangent anytime, anytime!.
I don't mid if I tick some people off on here at times. I don't mind when I fail out during my working sets. Pause, take a breath and then finish. I don't care that I fall down sometimes. I get back up. I don't care that I have bad days. I have more good ones anyhow. Hell, I don't even mind openly admitting I committed a crime and went to the BIG BIG BIG Federal house penitentiary for a legion contract (time). But you know what, I did what I did to survive. I hurt no one. Robbed no one, harmed no one, assaulted no one, violated no one, ZERO. I did what I did to eat. I did what I did so I would make it. I don't justify it with survival. I just survived. I a don't regret it. I don't pray to no necro gods. I don't repent or hail mary. I am a good man and human with human flaws.

I never gave up. Here I am today, two failures later and gearing up for my third golden divine moment. As good a chance as any other man. SO there you have. Like it, dislike it. My determination never faltered and I sure as hell never fell down and stayed down. I fought every step of the way. Guess what, here I am. Cashing in on the golden ticket. Redeeming. Time takes time. Timing is everything. I have paid my dues, took my licks, healed my wounds, mended my heart. I am debt free. Thank you gentlemen for hearing what DCLXVI has to transmit. OUT.

okidoki

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I bet i am not the only one that had to google "baphomet"...........good luck DC.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My own observation is that there are many more people of both sexes in the UK sporting tattoos.

As a point in history tattoos gained Royal sanction in 1862 when the then Prince of Wales visited the Holy Land and decided to have a tattoo of the Jerusalem Cross. Subsequently Edward VII visiting Japan insisted on meeting the tattoo master Hori Chiyo and selected a variety.

Thereafter it became almost a cult for RN officers to have all sorts of tattoos. Prior to that it was normally a write of passage only for members of the lower deck. Army officers at the time seldom found it fashionable and for them it was a rarity.

There are certainly now more tattoos within both military and civilians than when I served and it is simply a matter of personal choice.

V 2.0

Reaction score
Home Country
Hungary
I guess my post went over too many peoples heads. They kind of always do.

How do I soften the blow on this one... people aren't even remotely interested in your pseudo-intellectual, paranoid ramblings. Shed that superiority complex.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
My own observation is that there are many more people of both sexes in the UK sporting tattoos.

There are certainly now more tattoos within both military and civilians than when I served and it is simply a matter of personal choice.

I believe your observations also hold true for Canada. Personally after reading 'Bravo Two Zero' and understanding the risk of detainment in reconnaissance operations, I decided against anything that would draw any extra attention to myself in a POW scenario. I learned the lesson of not out-cooling anyone on my basic airborne course. Now that I am no longer in the trade, I haven't found anything that says 'me'. I however see a great looking tattoo of the French Commando Badge of a fellow soldier's calve so the jury is still out.

Personal choice for the soldier however, the Catch 22 being it's also a personal choice of those on the selection board.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Steve,

I was advised by one of my training team not to have any tattoos. I was just a young recruit and he reminded me of Hitler's secret order.

This wonderful man served in Italy with the Cdos and with others, he saved the bacon of some Paras.

One of whom was (Green) Serge's uncle. He then flogged the parachute silk to some Italian ladies.

He rejoined the Corps after WW2, ran the sniper school, was the Queen's shot at Bisley and retired as a WO1.

He was teetotal, honest as the day is long and I was indeed fortunate to be one of his pupils.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Chas, you have been fortunate in being trained and in good company with some of the best. I believe you are referring to the no quarter order given for commandoes and paratroops. (Kommandobefehl of 1942)

On the other side of the coin are the blood group tattoos of some branches of the Second War German forces, if you were lucky enough not to be shot outright, you would receive further processing.

During our 'tactical questioning' course we were taught to look at identifying marks that would draw attention to a captured individual. When you have limited time you have to be selective in who gets further processing. More detailed interrogations were warranted for someone who looked like he didn't fit in or deserved a second look. Somebody that the men looked up to (regardless of uniform and insignia) showed signs of leadership and someone with a 'death before dishonour, snake eater tattoo' would also warrant a closer look. If you do get a tattoo, choose well.

Morale of the story, if you are unfortunate enough to be captured, try to look like a PONTI and not a commando.

(PONTI is a person of no tactical importance)

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks surf guy and the other guy for your comments. You reserve your rights. Good luck in selection too if you guys ever go. All the best.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks surf guy and the other guy for your comments. You reserve your rights. Good luck in selection too if you guys ever go. All the best.

By trying to come across as an academic when you obviously are not you set yourself up for all the criticism you get.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sorry surf guy, you wont get to me my man. Plenty of members on here know I am a college graduate. Especially my dear friend in REALITY, not cyber world, NICKFURY. Many others. Again, the best of luck if you ever go and all the best pursuing anything else you might put your mind too. All the absolute best in selection.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hey boys, let's keep to the topic and how about being civil, failing that, take it to PMs.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
By trying to come across as an academic when you obviously are not you set yourself up for all the criticism you get.

He was hardly trying to come across as an academic, he admitted to run ins with the law and going to the big house for quite a few years. What he was getting at was that he turned it around and went back to school and earned a degree when he got out.

He's not an academic or some intellectual sitting in a cafe putting on airs. He speaks from experience and life and of course as a man who had a lot of experiences both good and bad as well as a lot of time to read widely and extensively and apply that to his life. Just because he throws in a few less common words doesn't mean he is trying to be better than anyone or pretend he's something he's not.
He's seen the worst of humanity and of himself and clawed his way up to a better place through hard work and determination to see it through. If you want to misinterpret that, then feel free. If you don't like what he writes, then move on.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
This was about a senior Legionnaire with tattoos over his boat, and once again turns into a cyber bun fight. Im off to the bureau got some admin to do.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Steve,

I was advised by one of my training team not to have any tattoos. I was just a young recruit and he reminded me of Hitler's secret order.

This wonderful man served in Italy with the Cdos and with others, he saved the bacon of some Paras.

One of whom was (Green) Serge's uncle. He then flogged the parachute silk to some Italian ladies.

He rejoined the Corps after WW2, ran the sniper school, was the Queen's shot at Bisley and retired as a WO1.

He was teetotal, honest as the day is long and I was indeed fortunate to be one of his pupils.

Serge top man and i bet the Italian Ladies were very grateful.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
He was hardly trying to come across as an academic, he admitted to run ins with the law and going to the big house for quite a few years. What he was getting at was that he turned it around and went back to school and earned a degree when he got out.

He's not an academic or some intellectual sitting in a cafe putting on airs. He speaks from experience and life and of course as a man who had a lot of experiences both good and bad as well as a lot of time to read widely and extensively and apply that to his life. Just because he throws in a few less common words doesn't mean he is trying to be better than anyone or pretend he's something he's not.
He's seen the worst of humanity and of himself and clawed his way up to a better place through hard work and determination to see it through. If you want to misinterpret that, then feel free. If you don't like what he writes, then move on.
Don't agree on a lot of what he says Nick, neither do a lot of people agree on what I post. But it still baffles me the man going again for a third time and all we Greens get are excuses" Its Time to put up or shut up". He can keep procrastinating all he likes he like everybody else has to take the bull by the horns and knock at the door.

To quote a friend of mine When I was in sales I had to knock on hundreds of doors just to make a living, Then my mind-set changed I knocked on the door of opportunity and made a fortune.!!!!!!!