a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Part I My Experience at Aubagne

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks, great break down and true, everything you say during the interviews is important and a bad interview with one of the officers or gestapo has an outsized effect on your chances. I had a bit of that problem, too many things to go home to in their view and I made a few errors in how I answered questions in my final motivation interview. But you had the balls to go. I hope you can get your 6000 a month job back, that sounds like a sweet gig. ;) What kind of contract work is that? IT stuff?

Edit, I didn't see your last post, glad your job took you right back. Good news!

I assume you have the address for COMLE? If not let me know.

Nick,

As for the job it's not IT. I am a demolition contractor who works under USACE as a Project Manager. Paper work and oversight nothing to exciting although I do answer to some big dogs.

If you wouldn't mind just posting the COMLE for me I'd appreciate it. I know it's on the recruit website but there are several there. I would like to make sure I got the right one.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sorry that things didn't work out. As unfortunate as the out come was, I truly enjoyed reading it as it was honest and well written. You've provided some great insight into the process which potential EVs should take to heart.

Best of luck with your future endeavours, you had the courage to go through the door so despite the result, you had the endorsement and respect of the Corporal Chef who you probably have more in common with, than the shrink.

Best of luck with your future endeavours. Cheers mate.

SLehman,

Thanks you too brother, I know there are countless guys on here who talked some sense into me when I was injured. It was the support that I found on here and in the Forums that helped prepare me for the task. I'm not worried about some French Army Adjudant with a Legion Etrangere tab stuck to his uniform. There are definitely a lot of politics which I was not expecting but that is my failure in understanding the process. & again I can only speculate the reason since it's not like you get an analysis breakdown of why you were unable to join other than.

"INAPTE DEFINITIF: Son profil ne correspond pas aux besoins de la Legion Etrangere"

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
He he he he he It might look confusing, especially for a foreigner. I was completely lost myself

Anyway, Thanks for your comments and that even if you failed (it was a bit doomed in advance) you actually tried.

Stoeng,

Thanks for your reply. I always wanted to thank you for the advice which you included on your 3 month training program.

Push yourself until your heart is pounding and sweat is pouring off of your forehead. I always used that to help calibrate my effort. If my heart wasn't pounding and sweat wasn't pouring then I wasn't pushing hard enough. I conquered hundreds maybe even a thousand of kilometers repeating that Mantra.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
EngageVolunteer_AUG52015

In documentary movie, after open the gathes (Aubagne) Legion right now give you clothes and bag is that right or not ?

I wouldn't base anything off of a documentary or even anything you read. The process changes daily. I had guys who I was with go through an entirely different process than I did. The only thing you can be certain about is nothing except that it will be difficult. Don't worry about anything else except being sent home. Don't waste energy on the gossip or the way you are treated and most of all if you come across someone being negative about the experience stay away because that negativity is contagious when you are starving and weak. The best thing you can do for yourself is walk around saying "I love the way that this sucks" keep telling yourself that and eventually you will. No matter what happens DONT GO CIVIL BY CHOICE! That is the worst thing you can do to yourself! Be prepared, mentally & physically. Bonne Chance!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have handed out plenty of these, in my time (3 years and some) when i worked at Fort de Nogent, i know the feelings, to see potential great Candidates, being turned down in Aubagne. C'est la vie, move on.

It is the Legion's way, you must accept that before you walk through the gates. The process may not be perfect. Good men will fail. Weak men may succeed. But the machine will continue to do what it has for the last 184 years. It will produce Legionnaires.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
It is the Legion's way, you must accept that before you walk through the gates. The process may not be perfect. Good men will fail. Weak men may succeed. But the machine will continue to do what it has for the last 184 years. It will produce Legionnaires.

(Chuckles) I enlisted in 1983, retired in 2002, the meat grinder sure will produce. Things that has changed is, the pretending Candidates, gone from stoneage to modern, in a blink, having stamina, to being re-turds of their little passions, computer games for some and do ef all, reality hits and the cry babies, wants out.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
He he he he he It might look confusing, especially for a foreigner. I was completely lost myself

Anyway, Thanks for your comments and that even if you failed (it was a bit doomed in advance) you actually tried.

Do you say it was doomed mostly due to his age?

Nick,

As for the job it's not IT. I am a demolition contractor who works under USACE as a Project Manager. Paper work and oversight nothing to exciting although I do answer to some big dogs.

If you wouldn't mind just posting the COMLE for me I'd appreciate it. I know it's on the recruit website but there are several there. I would like to make sure I got the right one.

Monsieur le General Commandant
la Legion etrangere
COMLE
B.P. 38
13990 Marseille Armees
France
(Of course I couldn't put in the accents on my keyboard).

Should ideally be a 1 page handwritten (printed not cursive) letter in French asking to overturn your inapt definitif (IFM/D) to allow you back into selection. I've only heard of it working for people who left after they had passed rouge selection...mostly for those who left in basic or after basic. But it can't hurt to try. Good luck.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Do you say it was doomed mostly due to his age?

Monsieur le General Commandant
la Legion etrangere
COMLE
B.P. 38
13990 Marseille Armees
France
(Of course I couldn't put in the accents on my keyboard).

Should ideally be a 1 page handwritten (printed not cursive) letter in French asking to overturn your inapt definitif (IFM/D) to allow you back into selection. I've only heard of it working for people who left after they had passed rouge selection...mostly for those who left in basic or after basic. But it can't hurt to try. Good luck.

Merci beaucoup mon frere!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
(Chuckles) I enlisted in 1983, retired in 2002, the meat grinder sure will produce. Things that has changed is, the pretending Candidates, gone from stoneage to modern, in a blink, having stamina, to being re-turds of their little passions, computer games for some and do ef all, reality hits and the cry babies, wants out.

I'm certain you witnessed many traditions being lost and saw many changes during those 19 years. I have nothing but respect for you Don Pedro. You've accomplished what very few have.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I'm certain you witnessed many traditions being lost and saw many changes during those 19 years. I have nothing but respect for you Don Pedro. You've accomplished what very few have.

I sure did, be it from the uniforms, weapon systems, way of doing things, to peel spuds (awesome machines) :D plenty of changes. Traditions, they are perpetual, the Legion ones. Anything else is a fart ,or, just a ghost of the past. As our Teutonic (German) friends used to say 'Worwärts', forward! ;)

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Reaction score
I have handed out plenty of these, in my time (3 years and some) when i worked at Fort de Nogent, i know the feelings, to see potential great Candidates, being turned down in Aubagne. C'est la vie, move on.

Oui c'est la vie. A fecking strange one.

Cpl K...

Danzig.

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
I wouldn't base anything off of a documentary or even anything you read. The process changes daily. I had guys who I was with go through an entirely different process than I did. The only thing you can be certain about is nothing except that it will be difficult. Don't worry about anything else except being sent home. Don't waste energy on the gossip or the way you are treated and most of all if you come across someone being negative about the experience stay away because that negativity is contagious when you are starving and weak. The best thing you can do for yourself is walk around saying "I love the way that this sucks" keep telling yourself that and eventually you will. No matter what happens DONT GO CIVIL BY CHOICE! That is the worst thing you can do to yourself! Be prepared, mentally & physically. Bonne Chance!

Hey man! Greetings from Costa Rica.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write this post. Although i know all experiences are different and the process changes; your post was incredibly informative and clear. Good job buddy! I personally think you should be super proud of yourself for the mere fact of going there, try and make it that far... just that takes a lot of courage! Kudos!

I'm 24 years old, 6.3 ft & 195 lbs, Muay Thai amateur fighter (Purple belt in BJJ as well) very good physical, medical, spiritual and mental health, couldn't finish college (due to economical difficulties), poor when it comes to material possessions (i'm somewhat minimalist so i own exclusively what i need, i don't really care about material possessions to be honest). Stable job, my family is spread all around the continent, no car, no house, no kids, no wife, no credit, no attachments whatsoever, nothing to lose and everything to gain... i've been a hustler/fighter since the very day i was born (when coming from a rough environment in a 3rd world country you really have to) and i have my reasons to join the Legion, and i like to think i will make it through!! However i have some questions and doubts that i like to have answered by someone that was actually there or someone that is currently there... questions that might be answered before in another post, yet i'd to ask them again so i can get the most update data.

I'd like to thank in advance for any info provided.

1.Is it mandatory to have your head/beard shaved by the time you show up to the front gate ? Or is it possible to keep you hair cut and beard throughout the selection process and have it cut when finally selected ?

2.Let's be optimistic for a second and think one made it through the selection process... is it possible at all to get a musical instrument (guitar) and play occasionally? If so, at what point during the training process can you actually have access to a musical instrument?

3.Does the Legion have any problem with tattoos on visible spots, such as fingers, hands, neck? None of them offensive, sings of any kind, or symbols, or with any religious content of course...

4.Okay, so... they just assign you a random name right after you come in? Or how does it exactly work? Can you get your name and last name back at some point?

5.As up to date (11/18/2015) Does the fact that France is "at war" against the Islamic State, will influence on the recruitment process in any way? Considering that they might need more people to protect and attack and for future threats, thinking in a long term fight scenario of course. ((i was absolutely determinate about joining the Legion way before all of this happened, and this war won't change anything to me, i'm still going in and do what i have to do))

6.My mother tongue is Spanish, but i also speak Portuguese and English fluently... which language should i use at first and keep using until i manage to learn French? For interviews and such i mean ...

I'm quite aware of the fact that it is pretty likely i get rejected for any reason, however i am very optimistic and confident, that really helps!!

Thank you very much again and for any kind of help you can provide.

Regards

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Gee! I forgot, Welcome to the Forum.
1: No, but somewhere along, if you get that far, it has to come off.
2: When you get to the regiment and can afford to buy one.
3: Not really.
4:Would be a name suiting your nationality. None of your business. Yes, you can.
5:No.
6: Use the one you are most comfortable with.
7: Use the search option, you will find answers to your questions, if there's none,or, you may want a tad more explanation, give us a shout.
Best of luck.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
EngageVolunteer,

I thank you for this honest report and I salute your courage. Too bad you did not make it ! Probably because obviously you were not desperate and had another place where to go : the Legion (and especially this bad shrink) might think that you would desert more easily than a desperate man.

You have my respect for trying honestly and for having the courage to tell us all that happened

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Danzig and welcome to the forum. Engagevolunteer gave some pretty good advice, especially concerning the negative attitude dudes. Avoid them like the plague. Even though you are keeping a positive attitude the Cadre may see you listening (?) to some creep crying about how hard or dumb things are. These are the guys that the Cadre are watching which means that if he's whining to you you will be noticed.

Keep a low profile without looking conspicuous. Have a chat by all means but keep any grievances to yourself. Good luck and keep is informed.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Danzig,

Welcome to the forum. Heed Joseph's advice. Prior to the Legion he wore the coveted green beret of the British commandos.

I also have the T. Shirt from the mid 1950s'.

Good luck in all your endeavours.

Danzig.

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
Gee! I forgot, Welcome to the Forum.
1: No, but somewhere along, if you get that far, it has to come off.
2: When you get to the regiment and can afford to buy one.
3: Not really.
4:Would be a name suiting your nationality. None of your business. Yes, you can.
5:No.
6: Use the one you are most comfortable with.
7: Use the search option, you will find answers to your questions, if there's none,or, you may want a tad more explanation, give us a shout.
Best of luck.

Hey Don Pedro, thank you very much for your welcome. I also appreciate very much your answers. I feel better knowing that i can play my guitar after all haha believe it or not, that was one of my major concerns when i first started with this whole plan.

Thanks to everybody for the warm welcome! I would appreciate and remember every single tip you guys can give me or anything you can add to the answers provided by Don Pedro... my time will come soon enough, so your words can be really valuable at this point!

Regards.