a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 legionnaires of 2e REG killed in an avalanche

Poso1

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Just heard from my brothers about this. Five legionnaires of 2eme REG died in an avalanche today.
May they rest in peace.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
So I heard too. Out of 50, 11 got caught by the avalanche, 5 died, 2 are in hypothermia and 4 ‘slightly’ wounded so far. They were training in the region of Valfréjus, in Savoie (French Alps).

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
May those who have passed on rest in peace, may the wounded soon recover.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Yep... :( The second mortal avalanche in the French Alps in a few days (a group of students with their professor were caught in an avalanche Wednesday last week in the ski resort called “Les Deux Alpesâ€￾. Two students were killed). After a period of mild and dry weather in the beginning of the winter, a significant amount of fresh snow has fallen recently on the massif and isn't yet fully stabilised. The avalanche risk is high.
A reminder to wannabes that joining the Legion is not a 9am to 5pm type of ‘desk jockey’ job. It's risky, even when not deployed.
May the legionnaires killed today rest in peace. We'll provide their names as a tribute when the information is disclosed.

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
It is 3e compagnie of 2e REG... As soon as I manage to get hold of any of my friends who were there ill try to give you more info. Last we heard that there are still 2 persons not accounted for...

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
@&^(&^*#&*@^*(&%*(&(%!^&^$&^#*^$)#(&^)#(^)#^#$&)#@&%)#!#@)$(#":!@*^(*^@

The above represents the curse words that are not allowed on the forum, in every language that I can curse in.

I *#^&*$#^$#& hated BSM (Brevet de Skieur Militaire) Military Skiing Certificate, not because of the danger...that's part of the job...but because in the Alps, you can do everything right and still get the %^$(^&$ end of the stick.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) in the Alps, you can do everything right and still get the %^$(^&$ end of the stick.
Well... Not only in the Alps, I guess. Mountain, a bit like the sea, is a highly unpredictable environment. The victims were attending a training at the Groupement d'Aguerrissement en Montagne (GAM) located at Modane.

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
@&^(&^*#&*@^*(&%*(&(%!^&^$&^#*^$)#(&^)#(^)#^#$&)#@&%)#!#@)$(#":!@*^(*^@

The above represents the curse words that are not allowed on the forum, in every language that I can curse in.

I *#^&*$#^$#& hated BSM (Brevet de Skieur Militaire) Military Skiing Certificate, not because of the danger...that's part of the job...but because in the Alps, you can do everything right and still get the %^$(^&$ end of the stick.

Must say that I hate it to. And it is true what you say. You can do everything right and still get f***ed.
Three days ago I had an accident while skiing of piste and I broke most of the ligaments in my knee. At least that is what doctors think but I have to wait for more detailed examination. If this is like they say it is, Im inapt for service probably for more than one year. And, almost forgot, will have to get a knee surgery.
Yeeiii BSM...

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Just got the info that everyone is accounted for. Now our thoughts are with the injured ones...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Very sad to see that this tragedy has taken place. They were all BSM qualified but shit happens. The 2 REG make up for half the population of St Cristol so there will be many people affected by it. Legionnaires have a knack at winning over the hearts of local population in spite of their "bad" reputation. And of course those that have lost their lives also had another family besides the legion.

Speedy recovery for those who have been wounded. For those that might ask what they were doing off piste, please remember that these men are not weekend mountaineers and they were training to go into action in the toughest conditions.

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
For those that might ask what they were doing off piste, please remember that these men are not weekend mountaineers and they were training to go into action in the toughest conditions.

You are right. BSM stage IS for training to ski and marche of piste. Skiing on piste is for civilians.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Slightly correction, they weren't "off piste", they followed a route and the passage where it happend, the day before, a reco had been done. As we all now, the 'structure' of snow, change from one minute to the other, depending on the temperatures and winds. Apart from that, they were all about to ship out on mission in the coming weeks. The M.o.D Le Drian, should be present today at St Christol (i suppose).

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
You are mostly right, Don. :) But a passage in the mountains can't be called a piste. No matter how much recon has been done it is still off regular pistes. And yes I do know what Legion officials told the media.