a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back to the legion ???

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
My exams at the University are going well. Thanks to all those who wanted to support me morally for those.

As some know, after the event in Paris, I wrote a letter to the General COMLE asking him the permission to come back and wear again, at least the green beret if not the K B, in order to help. In my letter I explained that I could do good secretarial work (which I refused when it was first offered to me). I also said that I would be humble enough to limp without shame where I had been a young healthy REPMAN. The argument was that one more limping secretary also meant one more healthy legionnaire ready to fight the terrorists.

I received an answer on Friday. The answer is very kind, but it is NO.

The General, or the person writing for him, says that they have reviewed my file and that I have been considered medically inapt, and that (despite all the documents I sent them with my letter) they do not believe that my situation has changed enough to allow me to rejoin. They nevertheless thank me for the simple fact that I volunteered ! But they offer no hope of "surexpertise".

There is nevertheless something very positive in the letter. They tell me that I should continue my studies in psychology : the Legion needs psychologists to help debriefing the legionnaires after a mission in order to avoid PTST and other problems which could occur after difficult combats. In the letter they say that although to have military psychologists, they are ready to accept me as a civilian psychologist since I have known the combat sitution and the post combat debriefing. I might even been allowed then to wear a uniform, but without any rank, since I earned the title of Legionnaire and left with honor.

I hesitated before telling you that, but you are my only family since my father expelled me, so I felt I owed you, and all wannabes, the complete truth.

Greetings to all,

loustic

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
(...) There is nevertheless something very positive in the letter. They tell me that I should continue my studies in psychology : the Legion needs psychologists to help debriefing the legionnaires after a mission in order to avoid PTST and other problems which could occur after difficult combats. In the letter they say that although to have military psychologists, they are ready to accept me as a civilian psychologist since I have known the combat sitution and the post combat debriefing. I might even been allowed then to wear a uniform, but without any rank, since I earned the title of Legionnaire and left with honor. (...)
loustic, my wee Brother, am glad to hear you are doing great with the exams. You do know, that you will need finanicial means, and some savings, to be able to make the 'big move' back to France and the south. And on top of it, somewhere to live etc etc... plan it 'CAREFULLY'. All the best. 'There's no promises that hold'.

DuckDown

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Too bad that you couldn't go back loustic but happy for you that your studying is going well and that you have a chance to work with the Legion once more as a psychologist. All the best for you!

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
loustic,
I'm sorry the answer from the COMLE is not what you hoped it would be. I also think that it's a great thing they offered you an opportunity, although a different one (one door shuts, another one opens?). If YOU think you would be satisfied with that line of work - go for it!
Good luck with the rest of your study!

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Continue to kick ass on your studies, and something will happen down the line.

Winners will always find a way to win.

UNK if the French military still does the 2 day stopover in Cyprus, coming back from AFG...but some of the "psychologists" (non-medically trained) there were definitely not "psychiatrists" (medically-trained). One was a CNE in the Legion, no medical training...probably some seminars/stages/formation specific to his tasks. At least he had already been in AFG and done "stuff". The other one...no idea on background or combat experience. Although I do believe he was an actual medical doctor, probably licensed in psychiatry?

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

I will do that, a REPMAN, even medically unfit, never quits ! Psychology is another fight for me and for this one, I am medically fit to be the winner.

One was a CNE in the Legion, no medical training...probably some seminars/stages/formation specific to his tasks. At least he had already been in AFG and done "stuff". The other one...no idea on background or combat experience. Although I do believe he was an actual medical doctor, probably licensed in psychiatry?

We had the same stop-over coming back from Mali, and the same impression of "lack of professionalism". I did not give all the details of the letter I received but it was clearly mentioned that I could better serve the Legion as clinical psychologist, well trained in that domain, since I had had the experience inside the Legion and after Mali. I don't think it was only a consolation price ! It was for real and I am going to learn as much as I can in that domain to help my brothers legionnaires.

Another argument was something obvious which I had not taken into account : I have been out of the Legion for too long, so I must, by the rules, go again through Instruction. This means the KB march, and according to my medical file it would not be possible, not because I don't want to but because I cannot do it as fast as the others !

Thanks all of you for not rejecting me after this confession

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Go for it bro and best of luck with your studies.

Fin109

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Winners will always find a way to win.

UNK if the French military still does the 2 day stopover in Cyprus, coming back from AFG...but some of the "psychologists" (non-medically trained) there were definitely not "psychiatrists" (medically-trained). One was a CNE in the Legion, no medical training...probably some seminars/stages/formation specific to his tasks. At least he had already been in AFG and done "stuff". The other one...no idea on background or combat experience. Although I do believe he was an actual medical doctor, probably licensed in psychiatry?

""Winners will always find a way to win"

Motto to live by, all to often people give up. I think it is -almost- always possible to achieve what you want.

And congratulations Loustic, it may not be the exact information that you wanted, but it is a whole other deal which you need to pursue!

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My exams at the University are going well. Thanks to all those who wanted to support me morally for those.

As some know, after the event in Paris, I wrote a letter to the General COMLE asking him the permission to come back and wear again, at least the green beret if not the K B, in order to help. In my letter I explained that I could do good secretarial work (which I refused when it was first offered to me). I also said that I would be humble enough to limp without shame where I had been a young healthy REPMAN. The argument was that one more limping secretary also meant one more healthy legionnaire ready to fight the terrorists.

I received an answer on Friday. The answer is very kind, but it is NO.

The General, or the person writing for him, says that they have reviewed my file and that I have been considered medically inapt, and that (despite all the documents I sent them with my letter) they do not believe that my situation has changed enough to allow me to rejoin. They nevertheless thank me for the simple fact that I volunteered ! But they offer no hope of "surexpertise".

There is nevertheless something very positive in the letter. They tell me that I should continue my studies in psychology : the Legion needs psychologists to help debriefing the legionnaires after a mission in order to avoid PTST and other problems which could occur after difficult combats. In the letter they say that although to have military psychologists, they are ready to accept me as a civilian psychologist since I have known the combat sitution and the post combat debriefing. I might even been allowed then to wear a uniform, but without any rank, since I earned the title of Legionnaire and left with honor.

I hesitated before telling you that, but you are my only family since my father expelled me, so I felt I owed you, and all wannabes, the complete truth.

Greetings to all,

loustic

You will always by be family little brother! And from what I've seen and observed on the forum a lot of potential! Good luck on your studies! Reptiles never give up!

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
That's great news actually, you would serve the Legion far better and with more satisfaction as a psychologist than a secretary! Something to keep you motivated! Keep up the hard work Loustic! Very uplifting letter in its own way!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Good man Loustic, one major advantage that you would have over your psychologist comrades working with legionnaires is that you have been there and know what legionnaires are talking about. My companion sometimes asks me why, when everyone we meet in Thailand seems to be ex-SAS or other special forces, do I never say that I'm an ex legionnaire?

My answer is quite simple; I don't want to be another "armchair ex special forces". And also the question 'what was it like?' Basically sum up seventeen and a half years of your legion career in five minutes.

I hope it works out for you mate

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
it is good news becuase it is a No with a however. means an opening for serving as a civilian with La Légion
think you get more respect and openminded legionairs then a real civilian psychiatrist since you still are and always will be part of the legionfamily and can relate with them for have being on deployment yourself

Bonne chance

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Lou'

I'm sorry the opportunity to once again serve in Legion uniform was closed. We all wish you the very best of luck with your studies, you have a unique opportunity in making a huge difference in the lives of serving and veteran Legionnaires. The guys want to confide in someone who has been there, not someone who has never put his life if the hands of anyone else he called his brother. That contribution might be a heck of a lot more valuable than freeing up another grunt for overseas.

All the best
Steve

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Loustic,

Once more I congratulate you on your diligence and desire to succeed with your exams. I wish you well and you have demonstrated true grit. I am delighted that no door was closed to you with finality. Once qualified it would be wonderful if you were able to assist your Legion brothers in their time of need. Remember you belong to an exclusive club and this in itself brings you recognition and respect. No-one can take it away from you. That is an achievement and challenge that many will not have met.

Stay calm and think positive.

Kind regards- C.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Lou'

I'm sorry the opportunity to once again serve in Legion uniform was closed. We all wish you the very best of luck with your studies, you have a unique opportunity in making a huge difference in the lives of serving and veteran Legionnaires. The guys want to confide in someone who has been there, not someone who has never put his life if the hands of anyone else he called his brother. That contribution might be a heck of a lot more valuable than freeing up another grunt for overseas.

All the best
Steve

These are really very comforting words !

I will obey what I now consider as a direct order : become a good clinical psychologist, go to where ever there will tell me to go and help my brothers legionnaires even if I am now a civilian ! ("un péquin")

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Loustic,

Once more I congratulate you on your diligence and desire to succeed with your exams. I wish you well and you have demonstrated true grit. I am delighted that no door was closed to you with finality. Once qualified it would be wonderful if you were able to assist your Legion brothers in their time of need. Remember you belong to an exclusive club and this in itself brings you recognition and respect. No-one can take it away from you. That is an achievement and challenge that many will not have met.

Kind regards- C.

Same answer as I did for SLehman. After a painful weekend I am getting over it, as a true legionnaire must do !

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
These are really very comforting words !

I will obey what I now consider as a direct order : become a good clinical psychologist, go to where ever there will tell me to go and help my brothers legionnaires even if I am now a civilian ! ("un péquin")

Bah! Who said anything about being a civilian? You'll always be a Legionnaire, you'll just be wearing civilian clothes!

Cheers jumper.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
You will always by be family little brother! And from what I've seen and observed on the forum a lot of potential! Good luck on your studies! Reptiles never give up!

Reptiles, Sardines or Jungle Bunnys never give up.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Once more I congratulate you on your diligence and desire to succeed with your exams.

Well Chas, my January exams are over now. I believe I did reasonably well, sufficiently well to get a "pass" in each branch, thus a "credit". I will have the official results on Friday, but when you are in second year you already feel whether you did well or not. And as older and (hopefully) more mature student, I feel fine.

In order to give you more information about me : everyday I keep training. Of course, there are exercises I can no longer do intelligently or usefully, but I can walk a lot and, most important, I can swim in a great swimming pool. If I ever go back to the Legion, even if it will be in civvies, I want to be able to show everybody that a REPMAN remains fit until his last second.

That's what I am doing, waiting for the official results.

But your moral support has been wonderful these days !!!

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Well, so much for going immediately back to the legion !

But I got the official result of my January exams : I passed all of them and I have an average of 14,7 / 20 !

I am happy ! Spent the whole Saturday drinking !