a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DCLXVI is a legionnaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Chatting with him today. He asked me to let everyone know. He is a Legionnaire. Not my business to state his Regiment or his location. He showed me more than enough proof through snapchat that he was there and was a Legionnaire.

Just for those of you who were wondering, there it is. He made it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
666 asked a lot of questions before his third attempt which people took time to answer. Now it should be payback time, not for me personally although he did draw me up a training program that got me into shape before returning to Africa. No, for the other hopefuls, this is part of what the forum is about : ask, take note and then do - and then share.
We'd all appreciate the pitfalls that can be avoided in advance and anything that my make life a bit easier.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Wandering Minstrel, my forum friend, please also forward my heartiest congratulation as well. I am delighted for him and am sure he is equally so. We were in e-mail correspondence prior to his departure.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
666 asked a lot of questions before his third attempt which people took time to answer. Now it should be payback time, not for me personally although he did draw me up a training program that got me into shape before returning to Africa. No, for the other hopefuls, this is part of what the forum is about : ask, take note and then do - and then share.
We'd all appreciate the pitfalls that can be avoided in advance and anything that my make life a bit easier.
Agree with you 100% Joseph. He ‘busted our balls’ for so long with his ‘saga’ about joining the Legion that IF he actually got selected, he could have at least come back to the forum and let everybody know. We would have all been happy for him and celebrated this... He had much enough time to do that before I banned him from the forum.
Anyway, good for him if the story is true and let's move on...

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Chatting with him today. He asked me to let everyone know. He is a Legionnaire. Not my business to state his Regiment or his location. He showed me more than enough proof through snapchat that he was there and was a Legionnaire.

Just for those of you who were wondering, there it is. He made it.

Send him my congrats! Also would like to know if he made the REP. You can private E-mail if you wish . Cheers!

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Do you happen to know how long it took from the day he walked in until he was informed that he was selected?

thadeusz

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Agree with you 100% Joseph. He ‘busted our balls’ for so long with his ‘saga’ about joining the Legion that IF he actually got selected, he could have at least come back to the forum and let everybody know. We would have all been happy for him and celebrated this... He had much enough time to do that before I banned him from the forum.
Anyway, good for him if the story is true and let's move on...

I don't understand you Rapace, if this guy you call "666" for reasons I don't know, if this guy was banned by you, WHY would he feel like coming back ? And how could he come back on this forum since he has been banned ?

By the way, what is exactly "banning" and who takes the decision to "ban" ???

Ban is such an awful word, brings back sad memories about books about the Middle Ages !

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I don't understand you Rapace, if this guy you call "666" for reasons I don't know (...)
I or others don't call him “666â€￾, he chose himself the screen name DCLXVI, which, if you know Latin numbering, is... 666. But that's not the point.

(...) He was banned , if this guy was banned by you, WHY would he feel like coming back ? (...)
He was banned for suspicions of posting under another false Id. As previously said, this ban occurred after he was allegedly selected in the Legion. He had enough time to let the board know about his success (if he actually succeeded).

(...) By the way, what is exactly "banning" and who takes the decision to "ban" ??? (...)
You're not familiar with internet forums, are you? Banning means preventing a board member from posting on the forum. The decision is made by the moderators... In their great wisdom ;)

(...) Ban is such an awful word, brings back sad memories about books about the Middle Ages !
OMG... Poor boy, so you're being shocked by the word “banâ€￾? Tell me one thing: are you planning on joining the Legion? If yes and if you make it, what will happen when a cabo-chef in Castelnaudary calls you a tête de noeud or some other nice words? You'll have a nervous breakdown? :D :D

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In retrospect I should pay more attention. I believe that Thadeusz is the father of a serving member in the FFL. Hence my like of the post by Rapace is unfortunate and misguided.

If he however had been a tender wannabe then it might have been appropriate.

Frankenstein

Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Do I understand this right?. A Man who is in and has shown proof to other man or men was banned because of another man or user. That doe nto make sense why he would be a banned?. How could the man post anything about his experience if he was banned before he had a chance too.

thadeusz

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
In retrospect I should pay more attention. I believe that Thadeusz is the father of a serving member in the FFL. Hence my like of the post by Rapace is unfortunate and misguided.

If he however had been a tender wannabe then it might have been appropriate.
I am indeed the father of a boy who joined the Legion. I became a member of this forum to try to understand better what is now my boy's life. When I read Rapace's post I think that there must be some truth in what people say : legionnaires, and especially those who have a little bit of power, like the "cabo-chef" he mentioned, must be brutal and rather disrespectful of human life.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Sincere apologies Thadeusz for the last part of my previous post. I didn't remember you were the father of a serving legionnaire and not a wannabe. Having said that, there's no real reason for being shocked by the word ‘ban’... That's the usual term on internet forums. And yes, when people have some power, they may tend to abuse it... Always good to keep that in mind.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) Ban is such an awful word, brings back sad memories about books about the Middle Ages !
Sad memories about the middle ages!? I got banned from "ye olde taverne" (pub- that wasn't the name of it, it had a more 20th century name to it) for causing a fight when I was 19.
It just means you lie low, apologize and we move on. There's no stockades involved or other bad things, but try and remember this is a Legion forum and the Legion is founded by strict rules.

Frankenstein

Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
I am not understanding this whole thing. I actually know nothing what is it about. What I cant think of is why ban a guy before he can even come to this place and express an experience?.

I mean, please do not take this wrong, but isn't it fair to let a man post what he wants, when he wants?. It is not up to me, or you(Mods) or anyone else to put a time frame on a man. Then, when he doesn't meet your time frame, you then ban him?.

None of this makes sense to me. Does it it anyone else?.

Frankenstein

Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Ok. Thank you. Yea, I don't know one way or another. I will just worry about my own butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.