a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Believe in yourself (also, I have question)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I was drunk last night so my emotions run little bit wild:), but i meant what i wrote. Thanks for support to all.
Have to reduce my beer intake :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Unfortunately no. I bought new running shoes and just after first day running i get it in my heed that bitch working in shop give me smaller number. :)

So i get blisters on feet and new experience how legions might be. Got to limit myself on push and pull ups. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Unfortunately no. I bought new running shoes and just after first day running i get it in my heed that bitch working in shop give me smaller number. :)

So i get blisters on feet and new experience how legions might be. Got to limit myself on push and pull ups. :)

I'm not sur that it's entirely the fault of the bitch working in the shop. Make sure you check the size of your rangers (boots) before leaving the magasin de corps in Aubagne.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Ye, there's part of my fault to. I'm gonna change it tomorrow and definitely will double check boots when i get one pair.
Do you need to mark your name on boots? When instructor throw them all through the window could be tricky to find yours. How it's best way to mark boots?

Joseph Cosgrove someone already mentioned in the forum and I also noticed that many ex legionnaires go to Thailand after service. Is there some reason for that, are it's just coincidence?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ye, there's part of my fault to. I'm gonna change it tomorrow and definitely will double check boots when i get one pair.
Do you need to mark your name on boots? When instructor throw them all through the window could be tricky to find yours. How it's best way to mark boots?

Joseph Cosgrove someone already mentioned in the forum and I also noticed that many ex legionnaires go to Thailand after service. Is there some reason for that, are it's just coincidence?

Many former servicemen gravitate towards Thailand. Certainly there are several RMs' living there. In Europe Spain is another popular watering hole.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think I found one are couple possible reasons why some anciens go to Thailand after retirement.

Beaches are among the most beautiful in the world. Nice warm climate.
And everything is cheap. (And i mean everything :)) With with full legion pension you could have nice life over there.
I want to go there :) But first have to serve my 20 years and I want that. Thai only after.
It's similar to my country but with beaches and better.
Here if you are stranger with money you will have some fun and people would be nice to you. Not so good if you are born here.

If Joseph are someone who living there would be so kind to tell as first hand experiences?

Is this filmed on Thailand? Maybe someone knows this guy? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu4GA7nnD1U&t=5s

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I did this training and really can't keep up with this little blond girl. One on one she will kick my arse. My only chance would be to lay on her in keep her down with my weight.:)
Aero kickboxing maybe looks silly but it's good, believe me. I trained kickbox and are trainings didn't were more intense than this. And i was competing not recreational.
Who don't believe me try to keep up with her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lujcE3FGL_U

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Update on my running ability progression. It's now 2 -2.5 months after my start with 3 - 4 day per week running training and only before two weeks I did notice massive jump in my ability to run long distances.

I thought progress will be slow and gradual, but NO! It was slow, very painful and I felt massive boost in matter of days!
First two months very little of progress. Already started to think that I'm too old for this ,and then boom! I was able to double my distance (from 5 to 10 km), also increase my running speed and which is most, important running for me become fun. Just 2-3 weeks ago it was so hard, almost form of torture.

Maybe I have chance after all.;)

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Swinging and not total extension of the arms is not taken into consideration

In Paris they will take "swinging" as a good pull up, I realized it few days after I joined and I saw some South African guys wiggling like worms on the bar after 4-5 normal pull ups and they would crank out 14-15 with the "wiggling" method, no superiors complained about that, but after asking around whether that was accepted, few french people said that they won't take it into consideration in Aubagne.

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I ran today 2400 m in 15 minutes and I can do 5-6 correct pull-ups (7-8 with swinging). I made decision to seriously begin my training. Actually I wanted to start two months ago but I gave up do to high temperatures because I'm lazy Kurva.
I will share my progress and details of the training if someone is interested.
I don't know. Somehow is easier when you share with others.
However Decided to join or not I will be physically ready until the winter.
Share your training methods and ways of motivation.

Greetings!

2.6K in 12m is MINIMUM, you should strive for at least 3K to have some kind of advantage over at least a few people there, most of the recruits are pretty slim, a few of whom I met were either cross runners or long distance runners (1 czech guy was national record holder for one of the long races for his category).

tojourpret

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Question in regards to the 2.8km run. Going through the threads and watching videos I've seen during the sports test it's 2.8 in 12 minutes. Other places have said it's the beep test. Either way I plan on having plenty of distance on my legs by time i go. Just wondering if anyone can clear up if it's one or both of them.

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Question in regards to the 2.8km run. Going through the threads and watching videos I've seen during the sports test it's 2.8 in 12 minutes. Other places have said it's the beep test. Either way I plan on having plenty of distance on my legs by time i go. Just wondering if anyone can clear up if it's one or both of them.

In Paris we did BEEP/BLEEP (Luc Leger) test, pull ups and a quick simple IQ test, other recruits said that you do Cooper once you arrive in Aubagne, but right now I'm absolutely clueless, a "friend" of mine from UK who went to Aubagne and was later rejected for unknown reasons said that in Aubagne you do a few medical/psychological interviews/tests, one IQ test and that's it, he didn't say anything about any of the physical tests.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In the old days you had the Cooper which was running around the track for 12 mins. You also had a lot of other physical tests, but let's stick to what happens nowadays. It's the Beep test and pull ups. The thing is if you only train up for this then during instruction you are going to suffer. Practically each morning you will be doing excercises and it won't be the Beep. You will go on long runs and finish off with : sit ups, or pull ups, or squat thrusts, or rope climbing, or...sprinkle to taste.

To give those of you who are reasonably new to the forum an idea of some of the things that will be expected of you, here's a sample. You will be expected to run for 8 (eight) kilometers with backpack, webbing, rifle and helmut on in less than an hour.
Not quite the same as short sprints in sports kit. You must build up your stamina.

tojourpret

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In the old days you had the Cooper which was running around the track for 12 mins. You also had a lot of other physical tests, but let's stick to what happens nowadays. It's the Beep test and pull ups. The thing is if you only train up for this then during instruction you are going to suffer. Practically each morning you will be doing excercises and it won't be the Beep. You will go on long runs and finish off with : sit ups, or pull ups, or squat thrusts, or rope climbing, or...sprinkle to taste.

To give those of you who are reasonably new to the forum an idea of some of the things that will be expected of you, here's a sample. You will be expected to run for 8 (eight) kilometers with backpack, webbing, rifle and helmut on in less than an hour.
Not quite the same as short sprints in sports kit. You must build up your stamina.

Thanks for clearing that up.
For the guys who may not have any prior military experience as Joeseph Cosgrove said don't show up to any sort of military training only trying to meet the bare minimum. Only going to make it harder on yourself. Put in the work now and you suffer less later.
Good point bringing up running with gear also. Back in the US Army we had guys who could run like lightening and lead the group in sports kit. Moment you put any sort of weight on them their speed went right out the window and they were the last ones to finish.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yesterday tried 5 m rope and climbed with no difficulties. I'm still not for scrap metal ;)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Man! I'm so unmotivated when I wake up in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem? When I think that in the Legion getting up is in 6 or 5 every day, that looks complicated for me. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Get your finger out and set your alarm. if you're going to try then you know what is expected. So train up for it.