a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indonesian Dream of Joining

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Hello people, 22 years old from Indonesia.
I have always wanted to join the LE since 2 years ago, but this time, it has been my dream to live up my full potential as a human being. I am always fascinated by the military way of life and their organised hierarchy creates order in life.

I was a heavy smoker for 2 years and just stopped at November to pursue my dream of joining the LE. I followed Stoeng's training program although I am unable to complete the 5 hours walk with 20 kg of the first month, I replace its exercise with running 1 1/2 hours everyday, not 3 days per week. I'll start walking with heavy backpack once I temporarily move to Bali to continue my exercise away from the urban life.

I plan on joining in mid 2017 after I successfully reached 3 months of training and exceed minimum requirements of the selection process. Thank you all!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello ragnarok and welcome. Train hard and let us know how you get on.

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Hello ragnarok and welcome. Train hard and let us know how you get on.

Thank you sir!

The start of my journey, I only target at least 4 pull ups and run for 3 km under 12 minutes. Sure that was impossible for the first try from my heavy smoker lungs and lazy ass that usually sits in front of computer for 18 hours straight.

The first day, I wasn't even able to do a single pull-up and reached 33 minutes for 3 km.

This is my 2nd week, following instructions given in this forum for its physical exercises, I am able to run 11 km for 1 1/2 hours, do 5 fully extended arms pull-ups and 20 push ups with no problem. I feel this is a great improvement from a lazy, chainsmoker kid.

After 3 months of daily training, I'll apply for my Visa to France around Feb-March and join the LE in mid June

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Welcome on this forum, ragnarok, train hard and then good luck for the selection.

Keep us posted whatever happens, and don't hesitate to ask questions !

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Welcome on this forum, ragnarok, train hard and then good luck for the selection.

Keep us posted whatever happens, and don't hesitate to ask questions !

Will do sir! I really appreciate the support!
For now, I think I injured my knee because I force myself to run for 2 days with this pain. Today's my recovery day, but upper body workout is still on going. I recover quite fast so I'll start running tomorrow.

OP , out of interest how will you get to France ?

I'll try to get a tourist Visa or probably Short Stay Visa. Book a flight but I'll pay the flight ticket after my Visa's been approved. I'm trying to find the cheapest flight due to my extremely limited budget. I'll probably sell everything I own so I'll have enough money for Visa, and two way ticket (Visa requirement for Indonesian).

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
For now, I think I injured my knee because I force myself to run for 2 days with this pain. Today's my recovery day, but upper body workout is still on going. I recover quite fast so I'll start running tomorrow.

Don't over-train : you might get seriously hurt !

Rest till your knee is OK again

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Don't over-train : you might get seriously hurt !

Rest till your knee is OK again

Yes sir, it feels good to rest, been a while. I'm restless and excited to join the LE. I'm just giving everything I have so I won't come half-cocked when I knock on their door.

I may look physically weaker compare to other men due to short height (downside of being asian, 5'6") and been underestimated beaucoup fois.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Dude, you should watch out with your knee. I had a good friend who injured his knee on an obstacle course. The next day he ran a cooper test (I think he did around 2800m). His knee was completely busted, he got medically discharged and had to get a surgery. So rest your knee, maybe do some swimming or some other cardio exercise that won't hurt your knee.
Good luck!

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Dude, you should watch out with your knee. I had a good friend who injured his knee on an obstacle course. The next day he ran a cooper test (I think he did around 2800m). His knee was completely busted, he got medically discharged and had to get a surgery. So rest your knee, maybe do some swimming or some other cardio exercise that won't hurt your knee.
Good luck!

Will do sir and I appreciate your post. I am resting today and probably tomorrow I'll just do some swimming

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Will do sir and I appreciate your post. I am resting today and probably tomorrow I'll just do some swimming

Good Idea, I know resting sucks when you have an injury, I hate resting when I'm injured, it feels so annoying but it's something you just have to do sometimes.
Good luck to you.

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Good Idea, I know resting sucks when you have an injury, I hate resting when I'm injured, it feels so annoying but it's something you just have to do sometimes.
Good luck to you.

Couldn't agree more. Guess I'll search for specific foods to increase recovery rate at the same time reducing future injuries. Anyway, I was wondering about running, is it normal to feel out of breath as if I was about to pass out but I can still run normally without any problem? It's a weird way to explain it in words, it's like an illusion of depleting oxygen in my body but it's not.

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
If you are not in good shape it is normal. When started with running I was losing my breath for a good 3 months

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Couldn't agree more. Guess I'll search for specific foods to increase recovery rate at the same time reducing future injuries. Anyway, I was wondering about running, is it normal to feel out of breath as if I was about to pass out but I can still run normally without any problem? It's a weird way to explain it in words, it's like an illusion of depleting oxygen in my body but it's not.

Stop calling everyone sir, we are all mates here. You might try packing ice around your knee and keep it elevated ( lifted up on a cushion) for an hour a day, but I'm no doctor and I would give it a weeks rest before running again. Keep off of any weight on your back after that, including the the speed march with back pack for at least a month.

The royal marines training program for wouldbe recruits strictly advises against any weight as you can do more damage than good in the beginning. As for being out of breath after a run, you have been smoking heavily for some time so give it a chance, your lungs need time to adapt to a constant supply of fresh air.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Stop calling everyone sir, we are all mates here.

I totally agree with this. Sounds annoying to me. :) I didn't wanted to be the first to say that.

Also that Belgian guy with his "God bless" to everyone. OMG. Nobody sneezing here. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Welcome,
Watch your knees and ankles. When you get to my age your knees will say 'good morning' to you when you go down stairs.lol
Good luck in all your endeavours and I concur; No Sirs. We are all equal on this forum and I hope you enjoy it.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'll try to get a tourist Visa or probably Short Stay Visa. Book a flight but I'll pay the flight ticket after my Visa's been approved. I'm trying to find the cheapest flight due to my extremely limited budget. I'll probably sell everything I own so I'll have enough money for Visa, and two way ticket (Visa requirement for Indonesian).
When I was in Sumatra a local guy told me he needed a $3000.00 bond to get a visa for the UK , does that sound right?

He may have been trying to get a $3000 "loan" off me :)

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Alright everyone. No more "sir". I just don't want to disrespect or offend anyone here. Being used to meet people off or online that are easily offended, it's been my habit to be respectful towards everyone. This is what I love about LE and its environment, people here doesn't take respect from others, they already earn it.

I've been resting for a day and it feels much better. I'll keep resting from intense load to my knees today.

When I was in Sumatra a local guy told me he needed a $3000.00 bond to get a visa for the UK , does that sound right?

He may have been trying to get a $3000 "loan" off me :)

I'm not sure about UK but applying for tourist or short stay Visa to France, Indonesian is required to already book hotels for each day I'm in France or any place in Schengen (no missing days at all) and give our bank statement to make sure we have enough money to actually be there as tourist and not trying to get a job at all.

Also, it's common to see locals here trying to scam tourists for their money. Whenever they see someone non-asian in Indonesia (mostly white), Indonesian assume they are very rich. Marking up prices beyond the regular price for them and usually promotes any kind of service, from renting vehicles, hotels, even up to drugs and prostitution. Arriving here, finding a reputable travel guide or knowing someone from here is the only choice keep your pockets from free flowing.

I'm not really a native Indonesian, I'm half Japanese, half Indonesian so I don't look like ordinary Indonesian, sometimes considered tourist if I only speak English to them, so I know how it feels like being scammed by some people here.

IFUGAO

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
Hello people, 22 years old from Indonesia.
I have always wanted to join the LE since 2 years ago, but this time, it has been my dream to live up my full potential as a human being. I am always fascinated by the military way of life and their organised hierarchy creates order in life.

I was a heavy smoker for 2 years and just stopped at November to pursue my dream of joining the LE. I followed Stoeng's training program although I am unable to complete the 5 hours walk with 20 kg of the first month, I replace its exercise with running 1 1/2 hours everyday, not 3 days per week. I'll start walking with heavy backpack once I temporarily move to Bali to continue my exercise away from the urban life.

I plan on joining in mid 2017 after I successfully reached 3 months of training and exceed minimum requirements of the selection process. Thank you all!

So have you tried Aubagne yet?

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Kind of a late reply, but I'll be in France this weekend and enter LE in Aubagne next week.