a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Honestly, I am not upset. It is good advice and I will use more caution, makes sense, it really does. Thank you everyone.
Excellent. Remember, you are now a professional soldier, so, in every aspect of your life (even on leave), act professionally...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
If you don't get what Rapace, Chas and I said, you never will!!
Just felt bad for a guy ending up apologizing for posting pics that all of us were glad to see. But yes, of course it could be bad thing to do that.

And what I also had in my mind is that today every legionnaire has a smartphone. It would be hard to rely on personal responsibility of every soldier if there is no clear rule about what is allowed what and not online.

Is there some rules about that?

rockitz

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Congrats man and enjoy your well earned leave. I'm curious, how does leave work in the Legion? Do they set you up with a room somewhere or do they just kick you out the front gates and tell you to get lost for 2 weeks? I imagine that hardly anybody has any friends or family nearby to stay with.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I don't think that 666 has done any wrong with posting that pictures. That's my personal opinion and I'm ready to change it if someone explain to me in what way he threatens Legion and legionnaires with that pics. The only bad thing he did is if someone of his seniors see that and for some reason don't like pics.

I admi that Rapace is 100% right : some legionnaires shown on 666's wonderful pics (and they are great) mignt simply want to remain under "anomymat" and thus these pictures might help identify them while they don't want it. Worse, some pictures and some names might help terrorists by giving them information the Legion does not want to disclose, and so on ...

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Congrats man and enjoy your well earned leave. I'm curious, how does leave work in the Legion? Do they set you up with a room somewhere or do they just kick you out the front gates and tell you to get lost for 2 weeks?

How it works is that after work is done on the last working day, you're free to go. Just like any other job with a vacation. Where you go, what you do, if you sleep in a 5 star hotel or under the bridge... well quite obviously that's up to you. You do have the option of staying in your room but as you can imagine no one wants to do that for more than a day or two.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Congrats man and enjoy your well earned leave. I'm curious, how does leave work in the Legion? Do they set you up with a room somewhere or do they just kick you out the front gates and tell you to get lost for 2 weeks? I imagine that hardly anybody has any friends or family nearby to stay with.

Of course you are free to go where you want in France. I managed to go to Andorra with my legion ID carte and was stopped coming back by the French border police. I was a bit tipsy from the duty free bicardi rum. The police said that I did not have the right to travel on my military ID. If I hadn't been on the duty free I would not have asked if that meant I had to stay in Andorra. The policeman said that they would send a report to the Commanding officer of the REP which meant big trouble for me.
As it turned out they just let me go on my way with a warning.

You can also stay at Malmousque which is a lagion leave centre in Marseille or in Fort de Nogeant in Paris. If you are in the 3REI you can stay on St Joseph island where the legion also has a leave centre. The food at these places are usually very good, but they are deducted out of your pay whereas if you sleep elsewhere it is not. Just remember to keep the regiments telephone number with you in case you get into bother.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Of course you are free to go where you want in France. I managed to go to Andorra with my legion ID carte and was stopped coming back by the French border police. I was a bit tipsy from the duty free bicardi rum. The police said that I did not have the right to travel on my military ID. If I hadn't been on the duty free I would not have asked if that meant I had to stay in Andorra. The policeman said that they would send a report to the Commanding officer of the REP which meant big trouble for me.
As it turned out they just let me go on my way with a warning.

You can also stay at Malmousque which is a lagion leave centre in Marseille or in Fort de Nogeant in Paris. If you are in the 3REI you can stay on St Joseph island where the legion also has a leave centre. The food at these places are usually very good, but they are deducted out of your pay whereas if you sleep elsewhere it is not. Just remember to keep the regiments telephone number with you in case you get into bother.

Aye. coming back from tours in afrique etc. i always had an address of a mademoiselle in my pocket! only trouble is la permission passed very quickly! Happy new year to my brothers and friends on the forum!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Aye. coming back from tours in afrique etc. i always had an address of a mademoiselle in my pocket! only trouble is la permission passed very quickly! Happy new year to my brothers and friends on the forum!
Same In Orange after wards en tour stayed with friends in Paris and Orange especially with a very select band of brotheres as said earlier in other posts that Gonzales was a babe magnet.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Aye. coming back from tours in afrique etc. i always had an address of a mademoiselle in my pocket! only trouble is la permission passed very quickly! Happy new year to my brothers and friends on the foRUM.
What you didn't stay on the Island though that in the summer all that female form on the beaches in Calvi.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What you didn't stay on the Island though that in the summer all that female form on the beaches in Calvi.

So what's your point!? 40 yrs ago as a young legionnaire and caporal l had no choice but to stay by the base. it was only when i made caporal / chef when I was given more freedom and got some decent leave! that i made the most of! and got as far away as possible! any more questions sprog!!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Hi Martin, I know what you mean about the talent on the beaches in Calvi. It started in early spring with the Scandinavians and then the French, Brits ,Italiens and Germans in Summer, followed by the Scandinavians again in Fall/Automn.

When I first got there I was already a corporal but the rule was that if you weren't and had less than 1 year's service you had to stay on the island. In those days the REP had a centre de repos (leave centre) in the citadel which is at the far end of the bay of Calvi. It was an old military hospital converted to house legionnaires during their leave. The meals were brought up by Norweigen containers (hay boxes) from the officers mess.

During the day you could go down into the town in tenue de plage (beach clothes) which some bright spark had the great idea of it being all in white. You were allowed into town and the bars with it on until 18:00 and then it was in uniform, kepi on so on.

I spent my leaves at Malmousque which is in Marseille (as you know).

The centre de repos in Calvi was given back to the mayor's office and it was up to the commanding officer's discrection if the legionnaire's could go to the continent or not.
Calvi and the REP have changed and moved with the times. I'm not sure if I would regongize it nowadays, but I don not think I would need a GPS to get me to the Son Des Guitares (major legion bar) on the rue des Schtiffman with my eyes half closed and a bucket of beer down my neck.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey 666,

Congrats for making it in. I hope in the near future that I'm able to do the same.

If you don't mind me asking, how much French did you know before you arrived? How many people who got selected with you knew any French? And is it an advantage or a disadvantage?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hey 666,

Congrats for making it in. I hope in the near future that I'm able to do the same.

If you don't mind me asking, how much French did you know before you arrived? How many people who got selected with you knew any French? And is it an advantage or a disadvantage?
Knowing some of the French language is always an advantage.
The more proficiency, the better it is.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Knowing some of the French language is always an advantage.
The more proficiency, the better it is.

Always better to understand what order you have to obey !

The only reason I ask if it could possibly be a disadvantage is that knowing French could make it seem as though you obviously had the resources to learn it, and thus, don't come from the type of background that they would consider for someone to become a good Legionnaire. It's been stated repeatedly how they want people with nothing to go back to and seemingly no opportunities prior to trying to join. And learning a language like French, from someone who is already from the US, can possibly make it seem as if that person isn't nearly in as dire straits as they think and as the Legion would want.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The only reason I ask if it could possibly be a disadvantage is that knowing French could make it seem as though you obviously had the resources to learn it, and thus, don't come from the type of background that they would consider for someone to become a good Legionnaire. It's been stated repeatedly how they want people with nothing to go back to and seemingly no opportunities prior to trying to join. And learning a language like French, from someone who is already from the US, can possibly make it seem as if that person isn't nearly in as dire straits as they think and as the Legion would want.

I really dont think you would be thought of as privileged because you taken time to learn French , your local library will no doubt have books plus there are numerous learning aides on fleabay etc for just a few dollars, crack on.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Killer...
Listen, learning anything before or in the legion is always a good idea. If you can learn in the legion, you are ahead of many others, trust me..
Highlander...actually NO. Sorry, but the legion does not run around slapping hands of men who take pics. Sorry,but we take pics everyday here and so do our cch and Sgt...and above. I have pics of everywhere. Guys, don't worry its not some secret here. If a guy doesn't want to be in a pic, trust me, he won't be. End of that and I'll post loads of pics if volt will host them on his site.

Highlander

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Killer...
Listen, learning anything before or in the legion is always a good idea. If you can learn in the legion, you are ahead of many others, trust me..
Highlander...actually NO. Sorry, but the legion does not run around slapping hands of men who take pics. Sorry,but we take pics everyday here and so do our cch and Sgt...and above. I have pics of everywhere. Guys, don't worry its not some secret here. If a guy doesn't want to be in a pic, trust me, he won't be. End of that and I'll post loads of pics if volt will host them on his site.

I said some specific things and locations, 666. Of course the Legion has changed, I always saying here that legionnaires are all over facebook and instagram.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
How is accommodation these days? How many guys can expect to share room with and how many share toilet?

U guessed it depend on REG in which you are and building.

Had really bad experience with that when I was in high school campus. Terrible place, still have trauma from that period of my life. :)

Not to go into details it was genuinely bad in every imaginable aspect. Place was renovated couple months after my graduation.

Just to say, 60 of us were sharing 1 shower and 2 toilets, one of which was only for pissing. :)
Have such bad memories on that place and I was kept there almost against my will for 4 years!

Don't want to go again through that, but considering everything I saw related to FFL accommodation it looks much, much better from my facking campus.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Killer...

Thanks man.

I know you had touched on this before, but can you say anything about the recruiting spike? Is it still in effect? And for how much longer? Does it even matter now, as in, is the Legion expecting to allow in more candidates than in the past for the foreseeable future? Or is it going to close up soon?

Anyways, good luck with everything. Hope to make contact on the other side at some point.