a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction

IRLFFL

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hi guys,

So been on here for a couple of months now ( not asked any stupid questions, yet ) and I am really considering joining, or at least trying to join the Legion. I did have a few questions, most of which have been answered by reading the forums but still a couple unanswered. I guess you can only learn so much from reading or watching documentaries, to learn the rest you must experience it.

Anyways a bit about myself, I'm 28 (not too old but not young either ) I'm from a small town in Ireland, not much going on work wise or anything else for that matter. I am pretty fit as I train Muay Thai and do some running. I've just started learning French and have an ok grasp of a few words and short sentences.

Well that's it for now, any questions fire away and if any advice I'd be more than happy to take onboard.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
IRLFFL,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy it. Pay attention to those named in Green. Normally they will be helpful.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Big welcome to the forum. If you feel that you have questions ask away. The more general questions have already been answered but there are still a lot that haven't. And even if it has already been answered, because it has been put differently, ask again. I mean who cares, no money is being exchanged and of course there are new developpements. The answers I could give you to basic training will not be the same answers as someone who has just finished.

IRLFFL

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Thanks for the welcome guys.

A few things worth noting that I left out earlier, so I am single but have two small kids. I plan on going sometime in May or June, I want to better my French first as I feel that would be a major stepping stone to getting in. Also I have also been thinking about the British Army as an option.

So about questions, I have two! One is more of just a wonder, as in what it's like for Irish or what you've experienced when serving with Irish in the Legion and the other is to do with teeth. Now I know it's been explained in teeth post but just as to my own teeth they are healthy, not pearly white but no bad teeth or chips so would a little discoloration be an issuse? Also fillings, are they counted against your overall teeth health?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
IRLFFL,

It is not my business to pry but care of the children should come first. On the assumption that this is catered for I suggest you try to join the British military. Your leaves will be much easier and infinitely more frequent. Moreover you will not have to learn another language.
Finally you will not be an absentee father.

Chas .99% need not apply.

IRLFFL

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
You are correct Chas, the care of my children is very important and has played a big part in my reasoning to go. I might not be around as much but I'd rather have something to offer them in the future other than what I will if I stay. A father on welfare with no career or no means to support them. Not to mention my own ambitions for getting something out this life.

As for the selection between the two, I don't know but the Legion seems to call out to me as the way to go. The children aside, there's just something there that I want, whether it be the the title of Legionnaire or earning your Kepi Blanc not one seems more important than the other but to be a part of a family and have a brotherhood with the men next to you is probably why I most want to go. I've never felt like I belong where I am, moved around so much growing up never having friends for longer than a couple of years and not having much family has left a longing to find that. Mabey it's the wrong reason for wanting to go but I want to be a part of something bigger and more important than what I have been, do something worth remembering.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
IRLFFL,

It is not my business to pry but care of the children should come first. On the assumption that this is catered for I suggest you try to join the British military. Your leaves will be much easier and infinitely more frequent. Moreover you will not have to learn another language.
Finally you will not be an absentee father.

Chas .99% need not apply.
Bloody hell the Irish Guards are well under strength.

IRLFFL

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
British Army are constantly recruiting, they have a high turnover? Here in ireland its once a year or even once every couple of years and crazy numbers applying for 40 places. It's a more who you know to get in.

I've researched both the Irish guards and royal Irish regiment both of which have high numbers of Irish serving but joining either would be, for lack of a better description, convenient. Like Chas said, I'd have more leave and down time but I'd always wonder what if I had gone to France and joined the Legion, I would feel like I've cheated myself for an easier option.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
British Army are constantly recruiting, they have a high turnover? Here in ireland its once a year or even once every couple of years and crazy numbers applying for 40 places. It's a more who you know to get in.

I've researched both the Irish guards and royal Irish regiment both of which have high numbers of Irish serving but joining either would be, for lack of a better description, convenient. Like Chas said, I'd have more leave and down time but I'd always wonder what if I had gone to France and joined the Legion, I would feel like I've cheated myself for an easier option.
Take it from one who knows Brigade Of Guards is not the easier option.

IRLFFL

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
No I did not mean that the guards training is easier or easy, I mean that to pick the British Army over the Legion would be the easier option in regards to getting more leave. I have no doubt that the training for the guards, or any regiment within the British Army is hard. Some aspects of training might be easier like leave, down time, language barrier but both will have difficulties I'm sure.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
No I did not mean that the guards training is easier or easy, I mean that to pick the British Army over the Legion would be the easier option in regards to getting more leave. I have no doubt that the training for the guards, or any regiment within the British Army is hard. Some aspects of training might be easier like leave, down time, language barrier but both will have difficulties I'm sure.

Wise up mate ! Two children and 1 in 10 chance of getting in the legion ! If it's a challenge you're looking for, RMs or Paras in the Brit army/Navy and before you go over the age limit.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Wise up mate ! Two children and 1 in 10 chance of getting in the legion ! If it's a challenge you're looking for, RMs or Paras in the Brit army/Navy and before you go over the age limit.
Or of course the Household Division. ie Irish Guards

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi buddy. I would go Brit army way if I was in your shoes even if you did 3 years if you still had the desire to join the Legion and learnt French over you 3 year contract you could then way up your choices, you would be combat ready your French would be better and more marketable to the selection process for the legion. it is evident now that getting in the legion is the hardest part! A fit young man with basic French should fly through training its not hard its the traditions and bull shit that get to you. also I think the days of guys staying back and getting rank(Fut-Fut) prior to going to the regiment that are twisted bastards in my experience, they have a chip on their shoulder and can make life difficult, but at the end of training you get a night out on the town time to sort the men out from the boys (I got jailed that night) went hunting down a German that had been giving me a hard time for 4 months🤼*♀ï¸￾ Then got the carrot and stick regarding the REP when up for regiment selection but it worked out.
Go Brit I did both!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered

Irish Defence Forces or the Garda just putting it iust there.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
So about questions, I have two! One is more of just a wonder, as in what it's like for Irish or what you've experienced when serving with Irish in the Legion and the other is to do with teeth. Now I know it's been explained in teeth post but just as to my own teeth they are healthy, not pearly white but no bad teeth or chips so would a little discoloration be an issuse? Also fillings, are they counted against your overall teeth health?

Hello IRLFFL,

Second question : you must have healthy teeth, sufficient to eat normally (there are French Army standards which have already been explained on this forum I think, otherwise look on the recruitment page of the Legion, it is full of helpful information if you search well). If you don't find the information, come back to me by PM

First question : there is an Irishman, former legionnaire, on this forum. His pseudo is legion-eire : try to be in contact with him.

A word about your kids and your motivation. You say "there's just something there that I want, whether it be the the title of Legionnaire or earning your Kepi Blanc not one seems more important than the other but to be a part of a family and have a brotherhood with the men next to you is probably why I most want to go." That is an excellent motivation. Try to expand it and explain it to the GESTAPO when you will be questioned. Try also to explain why this can only be realized for you in the military and not in ... a monastery or another form of brotherhood !

As for the kids, the GESTAPO might consider that this is a negative element since you will not really be 100% available for the Legion. try to make up your mind about that : you must go to the Legion and be able to say that you are completely detached from your past and your former friends, including your kids. If you are selected, you will be enrolled as a "single legionnaire, without wife nor kid". You will not be able to see your kids except when you are on leave and your first leave will probably not be before 8 months after you join ! In any case you will have another name and you will not be allowed to leave France before you are "rectified" (Régularisé de Situation Militaire), that's when you get your real name back ! Don't try to do it before : I knew a guy who tried to go back to England during his leave when he was not RSM : he was arrested and expelled from the Legion after serving 40 days in the brig !

So seeing your kids, being in contact with them, will be very difficult. The only thing you will be able to do is to send money for them, part of your pay, but not before the end of instruction.

In any case, welcome on this forum and don't hesitate to ask more questions directly or via PM

My advice : join the British Army, they are not as smartly dressed as the Legionnaires, but they are closer to your kids

In any case, good luck and keep us posted

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

In the Legion, they have many applicants and they take only 1/10 maximum !

if you think this way, then there is only one option left for you : find a good solution for your kids, forget temporarily about them and go to Paris, to Fort de Nogent trying to become one of us !

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Hello IRLFFL,

Second question : you must have healthy teeth, sufficient to eat normally (there are French Army standards which have already been explained on this forum I think, otherwise look on the recruitment page of the Legion, it is full of helpful information if you search well). If you don't find the information, come back to me by PM

First question : there is an Irishman, former legionnaire, on this forum. His pseudo is legion-eire : try to be in contact with him.

A word about your kids and your motivation. You say "there's just something there that I want, whether it be the the title of Legionnaire or earning your Kepi Blanc not one seems more important than the other but to be a part of a family and have a brotherhood with the men next to you is probably why I most want to go." That is an excellent motivation. Try to expand it and explain it to the GESTAPO when you will be questioned. Try also to explain why this can only be realized for you in the military and not in ... a monastery or another form of brotherhood !

As for the kids, the GESTAPO might consider that this is a negative element since you will not really be 100% available for the Legion. try to make up your mind about that : you must go to the Legion and be able to say that you are completely detached from your past and your former friends, including your kids. If you are selected, you will be enrolled as a "single legionnaire, without wife nor kid". You will not be able to see your kids except when you are on leave and your first leave will probably not be before 8 months after you join ! In any case you will have another name and you will not be allowed to leave France before you are "rectified" (Régularisé de Situation Militaire), that's when you get your real name back ! Don't try to do it before : I knew a guy who tried to go back to England during his leave when he was not RSM : he was arrested and expelled from the Legion after serving 40 days in the brig !

So seeing your kids, being in contact with them, will be very difficult. The only thing you will be able to do is to send money for them, part of your pay, but not before the end of instruction.

In any case, welcome on this forum and don't hesitate to ask more questions directly or via PM

My advice : join the British Army, they are not as smartly dressed as the Legionnaires, but they are closer to your kids

In any case, good luck and keep us posted
Not as smart as the Legionnaires well mon brave don't knock what you don't know. You've never been on Major Generals as A Guardsman in the Household Division. Most of the worlds forces cannot hold a candle to the turnout of a Guards Battalion.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Not as smart as the Legionnaires well mon brave don't knock what you don't know. You've never been on Major Generals as A Guardsman in the Household Division. Most of the worlds forces cannot hold a candle to the turnout of a Guards Battalion.

Reply in one word : RESPECT

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
The Irish legionnaire is a mate of mine gone back to civvie life and is very happy there.

IRL_legion

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
*UPDATE

So first things first, same member different account. Lost my phone with all profiles and login info on it, so instead of trying to remember passwords I just made a new one. :rolleyes:

Second and probably the one you will want to know, no I did not get myself to France... yet! :D Ok so I did exhaust the option of the British Army (for reasons I won't post publicly) so my only option now, not a bad thing, is the Legion. Just want to say thank you to you guys for all the advice and I'll make another post soon about where I'm at with my training and what my plans are.