a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More new legionnaires in 2017 and more reservists

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Of course there is! But its not just one. There is the one called "MAOA" gene, but scientists are studying others variables like exposure to violence and others genes. They associated this gene with agressive behavior, for criminal profiles too. its like the "fight or flee" behavior, some people will likely fight everytime in danger situations. But you dont know until you are in a danger place like a violent community or at war huh?

Not expert but I'm interested in psychology, love to read about it and to analyze human behavior. I highly doubt that there is one are couple genes and hormones who can control complex behavior such is war. Aggression, maybe, but war is not only aggression. For exemplify Fight-or-flight response can do more damage than good in modern armed conflict. That why good part of training is directed towards controlling that behavior.

Many scientist today study aggression as some type of disorder which is absolute nonsense (In some rare cases it is disorder) . That is very important survival mechanism and people have to be aggressive (not necessarily physical violence) in order to survive are to be successful. Then again, be too aggressive or in ways they your "herd" does not approve and you will be expelled from the herd.

What I meant to say with my previous post is that everyone of us is capable for violence if we are puted under right condition.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I don't believe in stereotypes, but man thay are fun. :) Is it true that French are arrogant? Rapace are you arrogant? :)

This one is good. About Norwegian emotions.View attachment 5819

Don't no about arrogant dusaboss, but they don't like fighting much or their would not be a Legion (For every legionnaire that dies a French man lives) not much more I can say on that apart from their must be as I love French rugby and have met some tough French guys over the years but not enough to make up a army!😊

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I don't believe in stereotypes, but man thay are fun. :) Is it true that French are arrogant? Rapace are you arrogant? :)

This one is good. About Norwegian emotions.View attachment 5819

Dusaboss,

You may believe that you are a smart arse. Rapace is a former Para officer. Asking him if he is arrogant is a simple impertinence. Show some respect.

You won't pass any selection with such a 'Smart Alec' approach.

I remain, a proud hard nosed bastard and a tad arrogant..

If you actually succeed, then when you achieve old age, you may also have some thing to proud of . But not now !

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dusaboss,

You may believe that you are a smart arse. Rapace is a former Para officer. Asking him if he is arrogant is a simple impertinence. Show some respect.

If you actually succeed, then when you achieve old age, you may also have some thing to proud of . But not now !

And being an Officer in most services is no easy thing. Marine Corps Officers are for the most part very elite so is any French Officer a graduate St. Cyr.

The Legion got a really good deal when Lt Frank, a US Army West Point Graduate, went AWOL for 5-years and served in the Legion. He returned to the US and faced his Courts Martial with Honor. Even a Legion Commander spoke very highly of him in a letter to the Courts Martial.

I wonder if the Legion would have him back after he serves his sentence? I know the US Army and Military will not.

But, I do not begrudge Lt. Frank.

I wonder if the Legion would?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusaboss,

C'mon Chas. That wasn't my attention at all. I do respect Rapace. Question was a rhetorical and joke. I asked Rapace because he is our usual French man on this forum.
As matter of fact, he is only French man that I have contact with.

And I don't think I'm a smartass. ;) Many times I'm pissed off myself because of stupidity.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
C'mon Chas. That wasn't my attention at all. I do respect Rapace. Question was a rhetorical and joke. I asked Rapace because he is our usual French man on this forum.
As matter of fact, he is only French man that I have contact with.

And I don't think I'm a smartass. ;) Many times I'm pissed off myself because of stupidity.

Dusaboss I want to help you here, 1st I did not enter the Marine Corps until I was 25-years old and I retired after I made 45. Having a career at my age was improbable due to the fact the average age of the Marine Corps is under 22 years old. The Marine Corps turns itself over almost every 4-years, that's right look it up. Dusa, at 33 to 35 I was at my very strongest and I had reached my performance pinnacle. a ran the three mile I <21:35, I did 10 to 13 dead hang pull-ups, and always I did 100-crunches in less than two minutes, this is a very respectful mid to high PFT Score. Marines must take a PFT every every 6 month.

Dusa, you will likely never make it to 20-years in the Legion the way I did in the Marine Corps, I retired.

Chas thinks about it everyday
I think of it everyday
Ossie O thinks of it everyday
Joseph Cosgrove
Martin
Mark
Johnny

All serious warriors whom took the oath of enlistment, shipped to the farm or boot camp, survived the farm or boot camp, and they earned their title have something that is forever.

However, you are rapidly losing the opportunity to be a Legionnaire. Believe me 5-years or 10-years in the Legion is far greater than never knowing what it is to be called Legionnaire, Marine, Soldier, or Ranger. Even if it is for just 5-years it is enough to last you for your life.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

Possibly I was unfair to you. So 'Mea Culpa'. I put it down to your natural exuberance.

I have faith in you and look forward to hearing that you have achieved your goal.

So 'Good Luck'.

Calvink

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Good day all.

Does anyone know whether the expanding process of the Legion will end in July (recruitment), or if it will continue for the entire year of 2017?

Regards

AYF1993

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I think Loustic said once, that July is not anymore the "limit" and now the expanding process is for the whole year. The time is expanded NOT the number of new legionnaires.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Good day all.

Does anyone know whether the expanding process of the Legion will end in July (recruitment), or if it will continue for the entire year of 2017?

Regards

I do not put great hopes it "expanding process". If you are good you will get in. If you are not, for example if you aren't medically fit for army no expanding will help you. If you are not too old (as I am :)) it's better to prepare yourself good than to put your playing tickets on increased acceptance. That will have influenced only on small number of people who will be on brink of getting in.

Calvink

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Thank you all for the response.
I do by no means rely on this expanding process, and have been preparing mentally and physically for selection. It does, however so slightly, ease some of the nerves about spending all that money to get there. The reason I asked is because I will be arriving in France in August. Thanks again for all the help Gents!

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Good day all.

Regards

In fact the Legion needed rapidly about 1000 additional legionnaires, not only to compensate for those leaving (that's the usual 1000) but to expand several regiments : 2 REP got a 5th coy and 13 DBLE was more or less created as a full regiment. This aim will probably be reached in July. But who knows ? The new president might decide to enlarge more regiments to fight ISIS, or I don't know what

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
In fact the Legion needed rapidly about 1000 additional legionnaires, not only to compensate for those leaving (that's the usual 1000) but to expand several regiments : 2 REP got a 5th coy and 13 DBLE was more or less created as a full regiment. This aim will probably be reached in July. But who knows ? The new president might decide to enlarge more regiments to fight ISIS, or I don't know what

I read on foreignlegion.info that the expansion process for 13 Dble will go into 2018, not sure if that's outdated info.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I think Loustic said once, that July is not anymore the "limit" and now the expanding process is for the whole year. The time is expanded NOT the number of new legionnaires.

In 2017, the previous Ministry of Defense and the president decided to expand the number of legionnaires by about 1.000 : 700 in 2016 and 300 in 2017, process to be ended before July first in order to have expanded regiments (2 REP got a 5th coy) AND a new regiment (13 DBLE was expanded to a full regiment). This process had to be completed after 18 months, thus on July 1st.

The new president made it clear that he wants to spend money on the Army in order to help fight terrorism, maybe with legionnaires in Syria (?). He was very clear about spending MORE money (which could be the pay of even more legionnaires and certainly soldiers of the regular Army). So listen to the news : everything can happen, but I hope for the best with president Macron.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I do not put great hopes it "expanding process". If you are good you will get in. If you are not, for example if you aren't medically fit for army no expanding will help you. If you are not too old (as I am :)) it's better to prepare yourself good than to put your playing tickets on increased acceptance. That will have influenced only on small number of people who will be on brink of getting in.

How old are you, dusaboss ?

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thank you all for the response.
I do by no means rely on this expanding process, and have been preparing mentally and physically for selection.

Preparing mentally il the best thing you did : it will be very hard and the mental attitude is essential for selection AND for your own survival during instruction. After that, it will become easier, but you will be molded and that's why it will be easier !

It does, however so slightly, ease some of the nerves about spending all that money to get there. The reason I asked is because I will be arriving in France in August. Thanks again for all the help Gents!

And keep in mind the positive attitude of the Legion for people coming from your country !

Good luck mate and keep in touch, whatever the result may be

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
If I'm not mistaken it was an additional combat company and recon company.

Yes, but not for 13 DBLE : 2 REP (news desert company created to fight ISIS on its own ground) and another regiment were concerned