a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wake up call for pretending candidates

Hawkeye47

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So you mean why can't you just walk or hitchhike back to Paris from Aubagne? It's a 3 hour journey on a high speed train. :)
No clue what ASM is and no Syrian roots, my family heritage is mostly from Ireland and the UK with a smattering of other European dalliances thrown in. Nickfury is a common name since the Avengers movies came out, but I have been using it since way before the movies since I liked the comics. :)
Hawkeye is my nickname also.
Been that b4 the movies

176607Mick

Unregistered
After my service I have been in work ever since. Mostly Middle East and now for the last 5 years in Africa. If I had stayed longer I would have dipped out on the opportunities that emerged at that time. I miss it, yes, and wouldn't change a thing, but I stay in touch with guys from the 1980's early 1990's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
176607Mick,

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your input and seeing you as a 'Green'.

Chas. 99% need not apply. Only 7 out of 100 fully complete training after their PRMC.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
After 8 years service I have been in work ever since. Mostly Middle East and now for the last 5 years in Africa. If I had stayed longer I would have dipped out on the opportunities that emerged at that time. I miss it, yes, and wouldn't change a thing, but I stay in touch with guys from the 1980's early 1990's.

You might know an old friend, American from California....was in Dinops. Was in around the time you were in I think...or might have been right after. Heggie the Royal Marine in that documentary was in around the same time I think?

176607Mick

Unregistered
Was the guy you talk about 'benz' last time I heard from him he was teaching english to people in cayenne whilst propping up a bar

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Was the guy you talk about 'benz' last time I heard from him he was teaching english to people in cayenne whilst propping up a bar

I'm not an ancien, just had my try at selection. I know the American guy from later...after he served. He was good friends with Heggie...Anyway he went back to the US after his 5 and did contract PSD work in Iraq. Thought you might have known him as he was in 6 REG.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You might know an old friend, American from California....was in Dinops. Was in around the time you were in I think...or might have been right after. Heggie the Royal Marine in that documentary was in around the same time I think?

I had Heggie in jail when we were in 5RE. Bit of a moaner and hoping to get back with his fiancee when he got out.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Heggie was in the Corps a long time after me. I have a copy of the documentary somewhere.
I am 78 today. You should be in Green if you completed your contract with the FFL.
Kind regards- Chas.

Last edited:

176607Mick

Unregistered
Nope. My mate came from Austin Texas. I don't know this chap heggie. Moving on

176607Mick

Unregistered
Are there any ex legionnaires on this?

176607Mick

Unregistered
There's no such as "stupid questions" , only stupid people don't ask (Always Seek Knowledge) questions. In the 60's, they would have to haul their ass over to France, stumble on top a recruiting poster, getting in problems with the law, being picked up by the Gendarmerie or the Police (that would have a poster somewhere), or meeting someone, that would tell a tale and give the address. Ah, those where the days, without the 'internet' and confusers...

How things have changed. Me: train from Calais to Paris. Arrived at 0600 and then got cab to fort de nogent only to be told, in english, to fxxk off and come back at 0900hrs. If someone is going to do it, then do so and stop procrastinating [emoji106]

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Arrived at 0600 and then got cab to fort de nogent only to be told, in english, to fxxk off and come back at 0900hrs.

Nice, simple answer for guys who planning to go in some unusual time. :)

176607Mick

Unregistered
I learnt soon afterwards that the cch-who told me to feck orf and who was a Brit- was taking some other EV's for a medical. I remember that day like it was yesterday

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I learnt soon afterwards that the cch-who told me to feck orf and who was a Brit- was taking some other EV's for a medical. I remember that day like it was yesterday

Many interesting stories here. Even if I don't get accepted I would have what to talk about. But 5 years (or more) of interesting stories is much better; I will find out soon am I worthy of my kepi.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
How things have changed. Me: train from Calais to Paris. Arrived at 0600 and then got cab to fort de nogent only to be told, in english, to fxxk off and come back at 0900hrs. If someone is going to do it, then do so and stop procrastinating [emoji106]

The best time to knock on the gates is during regular office hours.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Thanks Sherlock, I went back a few hours later, the rest as they say, is history