a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa to France: Visa & Stay Details

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok mate, apologies I just keep presuming the people I am chatting to are ex legion. Camurac was a place were we would 'adventure training' skiing etc but it was more like the farm but with a slight smile and without the cd showers and waiting around outside in the snow wearing a very small towel whilst waiting for the Cpl to come down and tell you to shower. Flip flops and a towel in minus 10 degrees at 4am was sooo much fun

No apologies necessary Mick. I have not picked up on all the Acronyms surrounding the Legion. We have similar places like that in the Corps.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
For those that don't know Joseph Cosgrove was also a trained commando earning the Coveted Green Beret prior to the FFL.
You cannot serve with Commando Brigade until you have earned your CGB.

This is unlike Brit Airmobile Brigade (Para) where all wear the maroon beret whether or not they have completed Pegasus Company and their jump course. This has caused considerable friction within their ranks.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Not sure if the RM still do the all arms course but when I did it we got to wear a commando dagger on the forearm of our uniforms.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mick,

AACCse still run by RM with attached Green Bereted Army unit instructors. Only trained soldiers, sailors and RAF may attempt it.

Parent units used to and some still do, give prior training to get their men up to the standard required.

I read recently that whether or not units give prior training, the course is now 17 weeks. 4 of which are the beat up for the course proper.

In my day the AACCse was if memory serves me correct 9 weeks.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Mick,

AACCse still run by RM with attached Green Bereted Army unit instructors. Only trained soldiers, sailors and RAF may attempt it.

Parent units used to and some still do, give prior training to get their men up to the standard required.

I read recently that whether or not units give prior training, the course is now 17 weeks. 4 of which are the beat up for the course proper.

In my day the AACCse was if memory serves me correct 9 weeks.

I'm not saying I was from your day Charles. It was Three weeks beat up in a commando regiment. The RE did it with the commando RE. They artillary did it with the commando Artilllary. The rest with commando log. If you passed you went on for 6 weeks CDO together.

176607Mick

Unregistered
I did mine with Cmdo loggies mostly as I was attached to a unit in the RAOC now RLC in a bleep role before I went to H. It helped me grit the teeth a wee bit more

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
By the way the final commando test is 30 miles across Dartmoor's rugged terrain in full fighting order + weapon. The weather is normally inclement. Marines have to self navigate the course with map and compass. Enlisted men must complete it in under 8 hours and officers in under 7.

I will not dare to say that that MR march is piece of cake. (probably I would not finish it as I am prepared now). But with this you only confirming what I said.

If you compare 30 miles for 8 h with 50 km in 3 days, really looks easy. I would be arrogant and I will say that if I come to kepi blanc march, it would be no significant problem for me. I can run (slow tempo) with 25 kg for 20 km without stopping.I don't see how 20 km of marching in one day can be problem.

But as you say less talking, more action.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
USMCRET With all do respect to USMC I really don't understand routine of instructors in boot camps. I did already watched some of boot camps videos and i was confused.

First time whan I saw boot camp instructor it was in Hollywood movies and I thought that was over exaggerated, but turns out it was not.

I watched some documentaries where instructors have hoarse voice from all that screaming. And when I watch that I do not will sorry for candidates than for poor instructors! Those guys really putting their body and soul it to it. How much is that effective? I don't know, I heard stories from other marines that in your time USMCRET and earlier boot camps was much more effective than today.

GO ! and maybe you will understand !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I will not dare to say that that MR march is piece of cake. (probably I would not finish it as I am prepared now). But with this you only confirming what I said.

If you compare 30 miles for 8 h with 50 km in 3 days, really looks easy. I would be arrogant and I will say that if I come to kepi blanc march, it would be no significant problem for me. I can run (slow tempo) with 25 kg for 20 km without stopping.I don't see how 20 km of marching in one day can be problem.

But as you say less talking, more action.

I'm not sure if you understand the maths. That's 48.28 Km in less than 8 hours over rugged hilly terrain.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I am so glad, that as an insignificant individual, I survived WW2 and took the challenge of joining the finest Corps in the world. It will remain with me for what little time I have left.

The Corps turned boys into men. Achievers only were accepted.

So I am always disappointed when people continue to say, week after week, that they are going to enlist and never even make an attempt.

I regarded it to be LMF and also in military parlance 'crap'.

So did the Brigade of Guards. So glad I joined at 16 years old.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Sorry to bring back this post again, but I do not believe part of the original question was answered. About this letter you can get from Pretoria to use in your application (http://legionpretoria.blogspot.com/2016/12/chargement-en-cours.html?m=1) I'm also very apprehensive because of the blogspot url. However it does appear on the official France in ZA website. Is it perhaps a lazy attempt to weed out those looking to go to France to join up? I looked it over and it asks some personal questions that would allow to police to come knocking on your door to arrest you. I know I may be straying into tin foil hat region here but I have read of ZA police texting criminals that they have won some lucky draw and had to tell them where they are so they can deliver their prize money. Has anyone used this service or has any reliable information?

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Know of one person thats used it, hasn't been thrown in jail yet!
I applied for the letter myself, it seems legit. I have shared a couple of screenshots (altered to prevent fraudulent duplication). I called the office, it is attached to the France in ZA embassy so it must be legit, it is horribly easy to obtain one . Everything is done online.Capture+_2018-07-10-20-55-47.pngCapture+_2018-07-10-20-54-13.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Kenya
What my Johnny done and feedback from him
He applied for a Schengen "holiday" visa
Booked a 2 month return ticket (if you don’t make it, have a 2 month holiday)
Booked into a hotel in Paris with a "FREE cancellation"(Take the printed booking)
Got off the plane at Charles de Gaulle and went straight to the BIG DOOR and knocked on it. (4 months later we got the "I got my Kepi" 30 sec phone call)
He did not close his home bank account
If you are not 110% fit, don’t go
If you are not a perfectly formed male with no "operation" scars, don’t go
If you are not mentally strong (a mommy's boy), don’t go
If you are a fussy eater, don’t go
If you have issues with a 3ft Corporal kicking and punching you, don’t go
If you have issues living with and taking orders from idiots, don’t go
If you are going to be disappointed when you find out that Legion is nothing what you thought it would be, don’t go

If you are a soutie, best you learn basic French and improve your Afrikaans. Plenty there.
If all good, focus and GO. They love Saffers

beautiful elaborated,,thanks

pop's

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Update on Johnny.
4,5 yrs done and has signed up for another 2.
Doing good , now a driver in 2Rep service company. All the codes
These are French Civilian Licences which is very impressive.
Plenty Saffers there now

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Update on Johnny.
Plenty Saffers there now
Awesome stuff Pop's! Congrats to your Johnny!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Update on Johnny.
Plenty Saffers there now
It's been said before you can leave the legion with a sh*t load of certificates which are valid in civvy street. Starting with your truck drivers license.
I remember when the REP went to ex-Youg, they needed an extra 80 HGV 1 (arctic lorries). Plus (not sure why) a load of motorbike 250 cc - obviously to be dispatch riders, but ...:unsure:
As for Divers, it's not just the REP, every regiment has them. You can even get qualified in underwater works such as welding etc.
A first aid instructor is a civvy qualification, life guard also. I mean can you imagine the guy who is qualified as a life guard, waltzing around the legion pool like he's some big shot. I did it for a year in Djibouti before going down to CECAP.
Driving instructor, this is a civilian qualification. Where as people in civvy street are studying for years you can (if good enough) do it in a couple of months.