a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest Factor during Selection

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Hello everyone,

First a little background, I'm 20 and come from a middle class family. Finished school last year and took a year off as I felt lost and didn't want to follow the traditional path of ‘go to university, study something you don't care about, get a 9-5 job’. I'm also from a military family and everyone from my great grandfather onward has served in my country's military. I always wanted to go down that path, however that's not an option for me for various reasons.
When I heard about and researched the FFL, I decided to reject my UK university offer and prepare for joining the Legion this January. I am working on my French. I don't speak it, but I will learn quickly as I already speak Spanish and Italian which are vey close.

My question about selection is “what is the biggest factor in deciding who goes on to basic?â€￾.
- I'm an amateur kickboxer so my fitness is ok (I hope). I get to level 10 on the Luc-Léger and can do about 11 wide pull ups. How does that compare to most others?
- The psycho-technic tests don't worry me, I feel I can ace them.
- What worries me is the ‘Gestapo‘ /psychologist interviews... I don't have a criminal record or anything. What concerns me is that they won't see my motivations for joining as good and will reject me (I've heard quite a few stories of excellent applicants getting rejected because of having ‘too many options’...). Another reason I'm going January is the small number of applicants.

See where I'm coming from? I am staking everything on a career in the Legion, including forsaking a UK education so I can be there. If I go all in and it doesn't pay off, I will be truly lost.

If anyone has advice, tips, comments, etc. for me or others in my position, feel free to share them!

Thank you.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Hello Ricky,
Well... The one thing I can say is that you seem a good Candi sister, young fit and motivated. When you get to the ‘Gestapo’, just highlight the facts or just wait until you are asked a question. Tell the truth, this is your ambition and it is something you have been training for both from a physical and psychological point of view. No one really knows what they will ask you, but if you are clear on your intentions, then I cannae see a problem.
Don't tell them stuff you think will jeopardise your chances, despite what some people say on here about them checking you out, they won't do much with references to your background, they don't have the time resources or inclination to go that far. At the end of the day, they usually take first appearances as a good indicator and your attitude also is taken note of.
Apart from the obvious reasons why guys are rejected, are obvious liars, being overweight/unfit, mental illness. From what I can tell from your message, I can honestly say you have a good chance. Good luck and as old adage goes, you will never know, until you know. Good luck and keep us notified as to your progress.

176607Mick

Unregistered
I was going to edit this to rectify the Candi sister (candidate) but I quite like it and from now on Dusa will be known as 'Candi sister'.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome and good luck to you. I'd say January would be a good time to join. And you are right, there won't be that many wanting to join then. One advantage is that as you go further into training, it'll get warmer.

A word of advice, leave out the part where if you do not get in you will be lost. You yourself have said that you come from a middle class family and have grades good enough to get you into a UK university. Go along the lines, that you have waited until now to be a bit mature etc.

In the mean time train hard and work on your stamina and French.

176607Mick

Unregistered
You ya bell end . [emoji23] have you packed your ‘my little pony’ satchel yet?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Have a return a return ticket and don't burn all the bridges behind you.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ricky, you are young smart and fit. Just what the Legion needs! I joined the in January a bit tougher weatherwise but no big deal! Plus you will be with lads who are just as focused. You gave up a lot in the U.K. The ‘gestapo’? Don't sweat it. You have done your homework.
Now it's up to you! Best of luck.

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words guys! It certainly boosted my confidence.
I will keep on training hard and hope for the best.

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
There is a bumper sticker floating around here that reads: " Not all who wander are lost."

As you get older you start to figure out who you are and what you really want to do in life. You will have plenty of time to think about it as you serve out your contract. In 5 years time you will be fit as a fiddle and better informed about the world. In a sense you will have time to 'grow up.' You might make some mistakes along the way (and crazy things just happen: To quote John Lennon, 'life is what happens while you were making other plans'); but thats life isn't it? Remember to maintain a good sense of humor. My Gran' used to always say 90% of life is how you deal with it; attitude is everything.

The Legion is not a 'deal breaker,' by any means. Who says you can't ever go to school (university) after you've been in the Legion? HA! You are only stuck if you want to be stuck, you hold the keys...

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ricky,

Welcome to the forum and good luck. At interview indicate a true 'want factor' to join. Keep information to the minimum since it gives the inquisitor an opening to press you on the subject. Be direct and do not indicate a too well off background since it might inhibit the interviewer. Simply be sharp, keen and positive. As I said before "Good luck".

Chas 99% need not apply.

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Hello all!

Just a report on my progress:
I have purchased a one-way ticket to Paris Beauvais in early December. I settled on engaging at Fort de Nogent as it's going to be much cheaper (flight was 20 euro :D). I like to think I'm a good candidate and am confident I'll at least get sent down to Aubagne.
As for all the examinations...
Physical: I currently do 14 pull-ups. The beep test somewhat surprised me (unpleasantly) as I was running simulations of it on a treadmill (starting at 8.5 kmh and cranking it up by 0.5 kmh every 1 minute). With this approach, I got to what would correspond to level 11. However, when I actually went to the track and more or less measured 20 meters and did an actual test, I got to level 8 :O Still, I have time to get it up higher.
Psychotechnic: Pretty sure I can handle this easy. Still, if anyone has advice on how to practice (IQ tests maybe?), let us know!
Medical: Going to get my wisdom tooth removed. It's currently growing out, but is somewhat crooked. I'll get rid of it just to be safe. Got ears checked for earwax levels, all perfect. Any other things I should check? Aside from this, I have a very minor surgery on my nose mid-October. Should I mention this if asked about serious surgeries? Also, it has to be under general anaesthesia. Anyone know if this could mess with blood test results? I've heard it can stay in the bloodstream for a while...
Gestapo/Psych: I've given a lot of thought to my reasons, motivations and story. I plan on being completely honest. I don't have a record so there's no reason to hide anything. I just hope they'll see I'm serious about this and want a career and home within the Legion, not just some dreamer looking for adventures. I've sacrificed a lot so far, including rejecting university and breaking up with my girlfriend just so I could dedicate myself to this. I can't fail.

I am training almost daily and counting the days until December.

That's all. Any advice, let me know.

All the best!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
rickyN7, how the F did you do beep test on treadmill ? ? ? :)

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Hahahah just simulate the speed increase :D no biggie.
The level changes every one minute (give or take 6 seconds). The speed required to cross the line at kevel 1 is 8kph, rising by 0.5 kph every level, so just run at 8.0 kph the first minute, then raise to 8.5, then 9.0, etc etc etc. until you can't.
Just thought I could be a wiseguy and improvise with the treadmill... as you see, it didn't work out xD

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I looked up some info on the beep test, mostly how to improve, and found something interesting that some guys in the air force said.
A few just told the poster to just go and practice but some said that it's pointless to practice the beep test as the beep test is meant to gauge overall fitness and they advised just improving your level of fitness and you will get better at the beep test as your fitness improves.

Is there much truth to this?
I know it's obvious that the more fit you are the better you will do on it but does anyone agree that it is unnecessary to practice it when you can just do other exercises instead?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hahahah just simulate the speed increase :D no biggie.
The level changes every one minute (give or take 6 seconds). The speed required to cross the line at kevel 1 is 8kph, rising by 0.5 kph every level, so just run at 8.0 kph the first minute, then raise to 8.5, then 9.0, etc etc etc. until you can't.
Just thought I could be a wiseguy and improvise with the treadmill... as you see, it didn't work out xD

Oh man. With that, I guess you did better training in math than beep test. :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I looked up some info on the beep test, mostly how to improve, and found something interesting that some guys in the air force said.
A few just told the poster to just go and practice but some said that it's pointless to practice the beep test as the beep test is meant to gauge overall fitness and they advised just improving your level of fitness and you will get better at the beep test as your fitness improves.

Is there much truth to this?
I know it's obvious that the more fit you are the better you will do on it but does anyone agree that it is unnecessary to practice it when you can just do other exercises instead?

There is some truth in that. Beep test is made as way to measure your oxygen consumption efficiency and overall fitness comes with that. You can improve beep test score just by doing other sports, but of course you need to try real deal from time to time because of technic and to see where you are.

Actually, my opinion that is really hard to get better in beep test just by doing it. You need running and then fester running where your breath is harder etc.

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Ricky, the IQ test is more of Logic Test. It may be simple to some or hard to a guy with Master degree. You can google/youtube up test psycho-technique and see what's it about.

Last edited by a moderator: