a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old age wannabe.. trying to join this year

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Apologies in advance for asking this, but at the age of 38ish, is there any opportunity for old farts like me to still try out for DINOPs or CPG? Of course, I would get my fitness squared off right away, but just wanted to ask if older recruits had opportunities for specialized units.
I am not sure, but I believe the age limit is 28. The answer is probably somewhere on this forum. Use the search function.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
There's one G.C.P. team (about 20 members) in each regiment of the 11th Airborne Brigade (whether Legion or not). These teams can operate as standalone units or jointly altogether. G.C.P. are part of the COS (Commandement des Opérations Spéciales) and are commanded by a Lt-Col, member of the 11th ABB HQ. Each single team is commanded by a Lt or Capt. All their members have the minimum rank of Caporal-chef and are qualified for HALO/HAHO jumps (they hold a distinctive para patch, called “Brevet de Chuteur Opérationnel”).

MixedRaceDude

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
I am not sure, but I believe the age limit is 28. The answer is probably somewhere on this forum. Use the search function.
Dang. 10 years too late. Haha. Wanted to find out as I'm planning to live out my days in the Legion and just wanted to focus on something niche. I hear there's an INT unit as well. I guess that could work. Just trying to find something to keep myself motivated throughout what lies ahead for me with life in the Legion. Thank you Voltigeur. Will definitely do more research on my end.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
And I'm back home..

That glorious career lasted for twelve days, everything went fine to the point when Herr Doctor wanted to see me and then I was out the same day. He didn't like my old scars, which I have quite a few. I knew it was risky business with those scars but wanted to gamble anyway. Well, doesn't matter, I gave it a shot. Now I'll heat up the sauna and drink for a week.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Good on ya for walking the walk.

Kiitos for the update, and good luck in your future endeavours. But in the meantime, enjoy the sauna and adult beverages!

DanSorin

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
And I'm back home..

Hope you will land on your feet! Please, after the sauna and the drinks tell us more about your days there. Being the same age as you, I am very curious. In March, my tooth implant will be done and as soon as the doctor says that I am okey, I will buy my plane ticket for the next week.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Actually got back last week so it's been party-hard for a few days already in my friends summerhouse but now we have a decent internet here.
Nasty ass looking surgery scars on both my lungs, other side got punctured by a broken rib when i fell off the roof once and other side got stabbed by drunken hobo. No physical restrictions, I got fixed up but they sure look nasty. The roof one happened before my time in Finnish military and I got thru that ok. But i didn't have any kind of medical documents about them and the Doc was worried that there might come some difficulties and complications during training or fighting.
No worries guys, I'm in the best shape of my life 'cause I trained so hard and got rid of smoking too, so it's not all bad :)

Yo Dan, hit me a PM!

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Yeah, maybe I'll attend the church on Sundays too...

Jokes aside, a decent job is what I need now and that's the next thing I'll start looking for. I would also like to take this time now to thank everyone I have talked to on this forum, thank you all for your advice, this is a good community and I wish I were a larger part of it. But I think it's time for me to fade out in the next few days/weeks since I don't have much to offer to these conversations - due to the lack of knowledge and the fact that I failed the selection.
If you want, send me a PM for my email that if any of you guys are in my ‘hoods’ someday, I'll be happy to treat you couple of pints at the pub :)
Adios

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) But I think it's time for me to fade out in the next few days/weeks since I don't have much to offer to these conversations - due to the lack of knowledge and the fact that I failed the selection. (...)
Why? Look at me. I've nothing to offer, but I'm not going up forum.
Oh man I'm only now realizing you are rejected!? What happened. Can you write short story from your trip?

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I think one lesson is if you have tons of nasty scars, make sure to bring lots of medical documents with you. But not sure how much it will help. Maybe invest in plastic surgery to minimize the scars, but that is pretty expensive and only works so much.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Why? Look at me. I've nothing to offer, but I'm not going up forum. (...)
Well... Not sure you're the right example to put forward... :rolleyes:. Or are you offering people sticks to hit you? Humm... That's getting slightly embarrassing...

(...) Oh man I'm only now realizing you are rejected!? What happened. Can you write short story from your trip?
He explained what happened to him. Don't you read the posts? Too much inward focus, I presume...

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well... Not sure you're the right example to put forward... :rolleyes:. Or are you offering people sticks to hit you? Humm... That's getting slightly embarrassing...

He explained what happened to him. Don't you read the posts? Too much inward focus, I presume...

On Point Rapace, as always.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello guys..

I'm just another scandinavian wannabe, trying to make something out of my life.. Nothing has worked out for me so far, no job, no wife, no family, no life..
I'm 32 years old and really trying to get that second chance... I do have some previous military experience basically from finnish army which is conscription, so every male citizen has to get throuh with it.. My service was only 9 months long, I was a radio communications guy back in -05

I do have a relative, my grandfathers brother, who was a legionnaire, he fought and died in the battle of Dien Bien Phu.. So obviously, my family doesn't want me to join but I really haven't talked about it with them because they just try to talk me out of this.

I just want to do something with my life.. to be somebody.. instead just collecting social wellfare checks and sippin' beer in my couch. To be proud of something I have accomplished, and I believe from my heart that legion is a place I can call home. In my country a legionnaire is a respected man, as like every other soldier.. The late Karl Peters (Pietiläinen, legionnaire for 28 years) who just died a week ago, is considered as a war hero, and has somewhat a celebrity status in this country, due to the pride of our soldiers during ww2... Now I don't want to be a hero, I just want to make something out of my life.. I know I can do better than this, just don't know how....

So, I'm training hard, I'm not good at running, or pull-ups, but I'm training.. And as soon as I can hit those pull-ups and luc-leger levels, I'm gonna fly out and take my chances and do my best.

This forum and you guys have given me major good knowlegde, and I thank you for that. Way better than any youtube content (there are a lot of people talking fake shit)

If I'm sent home, at least I gave my best shot, and then I'm free to pursue other things.
I salute you guys, respect, and I hope I can call you guys my Brothers some day.

I have spoken :)
I joined at 34, age means zero. Just have to out up with the nit wits(18-26 year olds) Which is a challenge. Especially listening to all the garbage that pours out of their cum receptacles..

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I joined at 34, age means zero. Just have to out up with the nit wits(18-26 year olds) Which is a challenge. Especially listening to all the garbage that pours out of their cum receptacles..

YEAH MAN! And he is clinically insane ! Still got accepted!

Young man. Just don't be pussy as I am an you will be fine !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tammerfors,

I am sorry that you did not get in. Failure in one area often leads to success in another. Anyway at least you walked the walk with dignity. Unlike other 'Blatherskites' !

So, I tip my hat to you.

All the best in the future.