a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the modern day Foreign Legion

spooker

Reaction score
Home Country
India
From what I've read the Legion has always had the 'rough' edge over most other armies since its inception and most Legion memoirs up until the 90's confirm it, indeed that roughness might have gotten lesser since its inception in 1831. Does the modern day Legion have anything of the old Legion in the 90's and early 2000's still in it, with regards to toughness and roughness that is (anyone currently serving confirm?).
Please pardon any unspoken errors that I might have made since this is my first time creating a thread on this site and since I haven't been near anything military (in reality that is) in my life please forgive if I have made any mistake on that front.
Just curious about this outfit is all.
(Roughness as in harsh discipline, punishments etc.)

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I can tell you of my experience and the experience from what I see in post from legionnaires, the experience is that each generation changes and adapts to technology, tactics, and their personnel. Sure, there is a very common tradition thread that runs from the beginning and all through the generations. Traditions are what make an organization, its history and its culture.

Just today I read an article in Stars and Stripes, a US Military Paper, where a United States Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel plead guilty at a Courts Martial for conduct unbecoming an Officer, making false statements, and some other charge. The punishment, he will end his career now and retire. The Offense, he was the Battalion Commander for 3rd Recruit Training Battalion at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina. What happened, the LtCol, placed a Senior Drill Instructor , he was a Gunnery Sergeant, I'd say the Legion Eq. is likely a Sergent-Chef or Adjudant, back into a training Platoon while he was under investigation for putting Muslim Recruits into the commercial dryers and spinning them a few times. So, this DI, under investigation is administering Intensive training, a form of punishment and motivation to a new Muslim recruit. The new recruit of course faints and the DI (Drill Instructor) gets a little "hands on." The recruit jumps up, runs out the hatch, and swan dives off of the 4th Deck and dies... Big problem here.

They, the press, are making this the modern day Ribbon Creek Incident that happened back in 1956 at Parris Island where a drunk DI took his platoon on a forced night march for punishment and led them through a Creek (River) where 6 recruits drowned.

The discipline is still harsh in the Marine Corps as I am sure it is in the Legion. Physical violence is no longer an acceptable form of discipline in the Marine Corps, guess what, neither was it back then in the 1950s, but hey shite happens and sometimes a good slap is an attention getter.

Lastly, each previous generation berates the new "softer generation." Back in my day...you fill in the blank; however, keep this in mind, tradition and the military are not easily divorced no mater what generation it is past, present, or future. Hope this helps

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/par...rges-linked-to-recruit-death-scandal-1.516394

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
As I understand MC have hard time separating real dick heads who abuse position of power from guys who really just want to toughen up recruits and maybe sometimes push them to hard.

We have two thing going on there. One is liberal- leftist policy infiltrating all pores of life and other is reasonable sanctioning of "bad apples" in army. If you let army love that by them down (like they did in old days) if they are like US police there is good chance that they won't do anything, They will try to push thing under the carpet so one bad apple would make whole bucket of bad apples.

As I understand story linked by USMCRET

With higher ranks comes higher responsibility. There was also some "pushing under carpet" in order to save their us and rank. Looks to me that US Army is organized in that way which linkages that kind of behavior because superiors would be guilty for mistakes of those under no matter what.

That isn't good, gives army bad look and something have to change. I mean here is clearly accident after ID pushed recruit to hard (OK, there was something more to it wit that back story) .

USMCRET for your time in army I'm sure you saw superiors abusing recruits in relay bad way which don't have nothing with training or hardening of men. That things should be sectioned if army want to look better.

Do you know for that case where instructor in FFL shoot blank in recruit's balls so he lost one nut after that. Legion tried to cover that up but ecunaly everything went out and that gives FFL really bad look. I if FFL was sorting out that problem instructor would get away with month in "la taule"! Not good enough for shooting of someone's ball.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I was not in the US Army, the US Marine Corps Dusaboss

Of course I know you was Marine Corps. For god sake, it says in your nick, Im not a idiot. :)

I spoke about United States Armed Forces overall not about US Army as separate part of it. Yes, its can be confusing because if you say army of any other country its clear that you think at all armed forces of that country but if you say "US army" one can assume that you speak on specific branch with that name.
Maybe it's better if i write Army of US. :)

Anyway, everything I wrote stand for US army and USMC

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

What do you think USMRET stands for ? Get your head in gear and not your arse !:)

My original number : RMV 202910- stands for Royal Marines Volunteer.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusaboss,

What do you think USMRET stands for ? Get your head in gear and not your arse !:)

My original number : RMV 202910- stands for Royal Marines Volunteer.

Omg Chas, Read my last post. I'm not an Idiot! I'm trying to explain that, but ...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Every generation believes that their service training was harder than that of those who followed. This is a normal trend. In my day training was severe. There was some brutal physical abuse but fortunately bullying NCOs' were admonished, reduced in rank or even dismissed the service.

I was trained by former WW2 Cdos. They were fair, very competent and wanted the best for their proteges. Discipline was strict and we were expected to reach a very high standard and never to let the Corps down.

The Royal Marine of today has to meet the physical requirements of training in order to earn the Coveted Green Beret. He is also far more intelligent than those of my day. He has much more learning and skills to take on board. I suspect it is the same with the current FFL. Tradition and Regimental History also plays an important part, thus imbuing a great sense of pride with those that serve in such renowned units.

35% of all current RM recruit applicants have the qualifications to become officers. Some are already graduates.

Finally the Royal Marines are known as the Family Corps.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You wrote; USMCRET for your time in the army I'm sure...............
Ok, ok should I write navy (that also does not fit.) instead of army. I think that doesn't matter that much. Army, Military, Armed forces. Are all synonyms

But if gonna get into the details that much in Oxford dictionary, definitions says :

Army : "An organized military force equipped for fighting on land."

Navy: "The branch of the armed services of a state which conducts military operations at sea. "

Which one fits USMC better?

How much operations USMC had at sea in comparison with operation on land?

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Of course I know you was Marine Corps. For god sake, it says in your nick, Im not a idiot. :)

I spoke about United States Armed Forces overall not about US Army as separate part of it. Yes, its can be confusing because if you say army of any other country its clear that you think at all armed forces of that country but if you say "US army" one can assume that you speak on specific branch with that name.
Maybe it's better if i write Army of US. :)

Anyway, everything I wrote stand for US army and USMC

Dusaboss, just for your reference one never, never refers to a Marine as a Soldier even in a generic form, we despise it vehemently, just a piece of advice.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusaboss, just for your reference one never, never refers to a Marine as a Soldier even in a generic form, we despise it vehemently, just a piece of advice.
Really ?!? :) So now "EX" thing isn't enough, now I have to be careful to not mistake marine with soldier?

Do be honest USMCRET, with all do respect, thanks for advice, but I don't give a F if some ex- American soldier would get offended if I call him that way. There is no intention to offend anyone, so what you USMC guys think about yourself in your close circles isn't really my business.

And by the way this is FFL website, not USMC. I'm sure there is plenty of corps dedicated sites where you can share your "pieces of advice".

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Really ?!? :) So now "EX" thing isn't enough, now I have to be careful to not mistake marine with soldier?

Do be honest USMCRET, with all do respect, thanks for advice, but I don't give a F if some ex- American soldier would get offended if I call him that way. There is no intention to offend anyone, so what you USMC guys think about yourself in your close circles isn't really my business.

And by the way this is FFL website, not USMC. I'm sure there is plenty of corps dedicated sites where you can share your "pieces of advice".

You are a piece of work, you will never join, you have no clue, and yes it is beyond offensive to call a Marine a Soldier. All the while I have been a member of this forum I have given very good advice for those aspiring to a military career, whatever that may be

Coward

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You are a piece of work, you will never join, you have no clue, and yes it is beyond offensive to call a Marine a Soldier. All the while I have been a member of this forum I have given very good advice for those aspiring to a military career, whatever that may be

Coward

Beyond offensive to call a Marine a Soldier then you don't have a clue what good chunk of world think about US armed forces.

Me personally, I don't have nothing against you guys In huge organization like that gotta be good and bad elements.

Don't force me to respect you just because you are USMC. I guess that they learn you there that you are best in the world, but I'm not buying that.

Respect need to be earned and I don't see a reason why would I respect USMC more than any other military organization in the world.

You started by some word games in language which isn't my native. I really didn't have any intention to offend anyone from USMC but you started with some demands "don't call me like that", "call me like this" etc. Why would I do that?

Or if we gonna play dirty I have just one demand to your loved US military. Please don't bomb my country once again.