a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian looking to join

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
hey all - any tips for a 20 yr old canadian/swede looking to join the Legion? Ive read up on selection requirements and a lot of threads on here talking about what to say & don't say to get in and i think physically im good as well as mentally but i have had some problems with the law which im not going to go into. also does religion and background matter? i come from a jewish family but im not very religious. hopefully this wont impact my chances becuse i really want to join the legion seems like my best chance tos start over

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
A lot of Muslims have joined the legion mate, if they did then Jews definitely can. According to the official website, they do not care about religion or beliefs. Btw, I thought anti-semitism is dead and long gone from Europe

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Article 2 of the Legion Code of Honour:

Chaque légionnaire est ton frère d’armes, quelle que soit sa nationalité, sa race ou sa religion. Tu lui manifestes toujours la solidarité étroite qui doit unir les membres d’une même famille.

Translated:
Each legionnaire is your brother in arms whatever his nationality, his race or his religion might be. You show him the same close solidarity that links the members of the same family.

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
you would think so but i heard that selection is relly difficult and i dont want anything to stop my chance. plus i also read that the interview is done by someone called the Gestapo and that the legion took many SS in after ww2 so that they still sing songs from nazi germany. someone on youtube even said that they dont want jews or arabs in it. is this true or am i worrying over nothing

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi Jb and welcome
Can you do 7 proper pull ups or more ? It begins with this
Do you speak french as many canadiens do ? If so, its an advantage
What is your scolar level?
What are your work expériences ?
Height and weight ?
Teeth problems ?
Will you eat pork ?
If you are not religeous, sure you can
Do not mention, previous delinquences, will serve you none and learn to shut the fk up. It will help a lot
Do not mention your jewish back ground and do not put X in the, " i do not eat pork" questionnaire box. Can only stigmatise and you never know the interviewers view point
If you make it to Aubange
Keep your hands out of your pockets at all times (not even to scratch your balls )
Do not slouch
Do not drag your feet
Reply, "present",when your name is called and add the rank (present, caporal chef. .etc ) and loudly so he hears
Be quick to respond. ..when told, come here or go there. ..it's chop chop no fkn about, we haven't got all day. Capito ?
No asking stupid or irrelevant questions but listen good
Do not get to familiar with the other wannabes. ..most or all, you will never see again (dont tell them your life story and do not ask theirs. .they are probally bull shitting)
Remember this
Physical tests
Medical tests
IQ / logical tests
Security screening
Work détails / corvée / cleaning duties. ..you excell, you shine brighter than the other wannabe stars, capito
Buy a return ticket. ..just in case
Have you understood ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Article 2 of the Legion Code of Honour:

Chaque légionnaire est ton frère d’armes, quelle que soit sa nationalité, sa race ou sa religion. Tu lui manifestes toujours la solidarité étroite qui doit unir les membres d’une même famille.

Translated:
Each legionnaire is your brother in arms whatever his nationality, his race or his religion might be. You show him the same close solidarity that links the members of the same family.
Can't tell you how happy I am that I understood le code d'honneur du legionnaire without reading the translation ^____^
JB I never heard about these things you are saying, never take your info from a youtube video without at least double checking the references (if there are no references then don't even watch!) The greens here surely will confirm/deny the truth about what you are saying but I don't think at all that this is true. There are Muslim/Jewish legionnaires. If you eat pork and drink alcohol you are good to go.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
There is and always have been, Jews and Muslims in the Legion. ..more Muslims than Jews, sure
Néo nazies racists ? There might be a few and they maybe have rank too. ..and ? Deal with it
Do not voice : political, religeous or hateful opinions to no one, even to the biggest SOB on earth. Keep your cool and dignity. Do not get your self noticed in an un nécessaire way. Your opinions / beliefs are private

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
thanks guys that rlly helps sounds like if i keep quiet about eeverything except how much i want to be selected that i can make it. le petit caporal you are a legionnaire now? i am very physically strong and no health problems minus mistakes i made in the past i think i am perfect for the legion. will the interview try to find out a lot about me or are the questions pretty easy

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I was a legionnaire and now i am a wannabe civilian that just cant make the break
Your motivation or détermination, call it what you want, are your best buddies : going to and during your time in the Legion
He, the interviewer, will try and find out as much as possible about you, in the short period of time allocated. ..time is on your side and he has many others to interview

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
you would think so but i heard that selection is relly difficult and i dont want anything to stop my chance. plus i also read that the interview is done by someone called the Gestapo and that the legion took many SS in after ww2 so that they still sing songs from nazi germany. someone on youtube even said that they dont want jews or arabs in it. is this true or am i worrying over nothing
Don't watch or believe anything on Youtube with regards to Ryan French Foreign legion ultimate guide or whatever he's calling himself. There are always some idiots that will say stupid shit but thats in every organization. 95% of people wont give a damn if your Jewish or whatever you call your god. Gestapo is a nickname, DSPLE is the official name, you're worrying about nothing mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I was a legionnaire and now i am a wannabe civilian that just cant make the break
Your motivation or détermination, call it what you want, are your best buddies : going to and during your time in the Legion
He, the interviewer, will try and find out as much as possible about you, in the short period of time allocated. ..time is on your side and he has many others to interview

you are the first real legionaire i have talked to. i have some criminal charges in the past that i am afraid of comingup in selection. i have specific questions id rather not tlk about on a public forum relating to my record. can i email you or message you directly for your advice pls? jb1997lk@gmail.com is my email

leo

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
plus i also read that the interview is done by someone called the Gestapo and that the legion took many SS in after ww2 so that they still sing songs from nazi germany. someone on youtube even said that they dont want jews or arabs in it. is this true or am i worrying over nothing

During the final recruit selection process, engagés are subjected to very intensive and very gruelling interviews which can last for hours. I have read where an engagé was ordered to strip down to his undershorts and stand at attention and was then asked if he is gay. The people who conduct these interviews are referred to in jargon as "The Gestapo" because of their Gestapo-like interview techniques. Every detail of your background and even your very motive for wanting to join the Foreign Legion will be minutely examined and questioned. No matter how much you don't like the Gestapo interview, don't piss off any caporals or sous-offs at Aubagne because if you do then he will write you up as inapte and then you're out. Even having the "proper attitude" is a requirement to get into the Foreign Legion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I have read where an engagé was ordered to strip down to his undershorts and stand at attention and was then asked if he is gay.

Be careful of what you read Leo. I honestly have never heard of any engagé volontaire being asked to strip down to his under wear by the "Gestapo". Asked if he was homo, yes, in his jocks? No. What for?

The people who conduct these interviews are referred to in jargon as "The Gestapo" because of their Gestapo-like interview techniques.

I think that the term "Gestapo" is a left over from a previous era of the legion, just after WW2 ? I don't know.
But using Gestapo-like technigues !? Come on Leo, If you don't know for sure or have proof, please refrain from spreading hearsay.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
you are the first real legionaire i have talked to. i have some criminal charges in the past that i am afraid of comingup in selection. i have specific questions id rather not tlk about on a public forum relating to my record. can i email you or message you directly for your advice pls? jb1997lk@gmail.com is my email

Hi jb 1997. You have the possibility of sending Private Messages, by clicking the 'inbox' on the top right of the page next to your name.
It's up to you, but I would edit your post and take off your email address, if I were you.

leo

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I think that the term "Gestapo" is a left over from a previous era of the legion, just after WW2 ? I don't know.
But using Gestapo-like technigues !? Come on Leo, If you don't know for sure or have proof, please refrain from spreading hearsay.

When I tried to join the French Foreign Legion in 1989 (failed my eyesight exam) that's what the engagés called them - the Gestapo. Even in this same thread SnafuSmite says "Gestapo is a nickname, DSPLE is the official name."

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Was called B.S.L.E.,in my time. ..and i infilttrated it once (will explain or might not later. ..probably not, but who knows ?)

My last week in the Legion
After many passe par touts (Joe, please explain as i still have cauld turkey)
I was given corvée BSLE, and it was the week end
The Fud, yup, a total fud : who was permanence /surveiant, francophone, of course. .left me un attentede, i kid you not!
I am amongst the (song books of evry legion aire. ..active (this is before the digital era,96. .i spent my corvée (cleaning duty) Reading my and others "song books"...especialy others (mostly NCOs, who i had a grudge with (they were many and most were french and depassed me in rank, with out the service) Shit happens and so does oppertunities (take advantage whence it occurs).

Back to the circus
I will explain later, or maybe not
All things dépend
1. My humour
2. My want
3. Carear
4. Wage
5. Ivresse
6.Attention.
(alors, fais gaffe enculé)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
When I tried to join the French Foreign Legion in 1989 (failed my eyesight exam) that's what the engagés called them - the Gestapo. Even in this same thread SnafuSmite says "Gestapo is a nickname, DSPLE is the official name."

There is no question that DSPLE is known as the "gestapo". when I joined in 84 and 17 and a half years later they are still known by that name. No-one is questioning that. What isn't true are the gestapo-like techinques

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Here certainly does. He used to have one of the old printer printouts in his office of a Brit guardsman. He interviewed me when I joined. There was another Brit NCO, Green or Greene who also interviewed me.