a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull up form at selection

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Any test BITD and no way would I ever have got in I no that for certain but would I want to join the Legion in 2018 probably not so feel quite lucky to be an old fart, and not having to navigate what some of you are to get enlisted.
It was more about fitness and mentality not what was between the ears but if you could learn the language (I struggled) well I struggled with most things apart from fitness and to this day would hold my own and still do as I still like to put myself up against othersto this day, as in age groups their is some fit old timers about!

I don't necessarily agree with you Papillon. Our careers, Le 'tit cpl also are not that far apart. It's true we didn't have todays Hi Tech, I mean you can nowadays program the Luc L on your smart watch and check your progress. Maybe even have a spread sheet printed out with a graph.

We more or less went in blind. In our day there was no going civil before 5 years were up. But it's changed since then.
Would I join if I was four weeks into my 21st birthday today? I think I would, yes. When I see that people are posting, that they are on their way to knocking on the door, and seeing where the legion is being sent, I think lucky c*nt. You've only got to put of with Aubagne and the Castel and then you are going places.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I don't necessarily agree with you Papillon. Our careers, Le 'tit cpl also are not that far apart. It's true we didn't have todays Hi Tech, I mean you can nowadays program the Luc L on your smart watch and check your progress. Maybe even have a spread sheet printed out with a graph.

We more or less went in blind. In our day there was no going civil before 5 years were up. But it's changed since then.
Would I join if I was four weeks into my 21st birthday today? I think I would, yes. When I see that people are posting, that they are on their way to knocking on the door, and seeing where the legion is being sent, I think lucky c*nt. You've only got to put of with Aubagne and the Castel and then you are going places.
Hi Joesph understand your reply, and a fair point or (points) but just think so much has changed so for me I would not.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
All this talk of minimums and such is not conducive and is the wrong mentality to go and join the military IMHO. The basics are there as a minimum guideline, basically a wake-up call saying if you cant do this seek life elsewhere. Just wanting to meet requirements at the minimum is the complete wrong idea for fitness, what does that say about you personality? I am here to do the absolute minimum required and that should be sufficient?One should not aim to just meet requirements physically one should aim to break them to your own breaking point. Personally I believe that if one wants to join a "boots on the ground unit" you should at least be able to run 12km in 70min,16 full length pull ups and 65-70 push ups(one go). This again is what I consider my comfortable zone of which I would view myself as a decent candidate and would not consider going lower. Again this is my personal opinion and what I've seen as a thread throughout my research of military fitness standards. Open to critique and questions.
But these guys coming in and saying all funky crap on half arm and dead hang and all weird and wonderful things c'mon guys!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
All this talk of minimums and such is not conducive and is the wrong mentality to go and join the military IMHO. The basics are there as a minimum guideline, basically a wake-up call saying if you cant do this seek life elsewhere. Just wanting to meet requirements at the minimum is the complete wrong idea for fitness, what does that say about you personality? I am here to do the absolute minimum required and that should be sufficient?One should not aim to just meet requirements physically one should aim to break them to your own breaking point. Personally I believe that if one wants to join a "boots on the ground unit" you should at least be able to run 12km in 70min,16 full length pull ups and 65-70 push ups(one go). This again is what I consider my comfortable zone of which I would view myself as a decent candidate and would not consider going lower. Again this is my personal opinion and what I've seen as a thread throughout my research of military fitness standards. Open to critique and questions.
But these guys coming in and saying all funky crap on half arm and dead hang and all weird and wonderful things c'mon guys!
Do you meet these standards SnafuSmite?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Although It is NOT the same thing. But I see Snafu's point. If you want to beat Mr U, Bolt over 100 hundred metres in the olympics, qualifying to represent your country isn't enough.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

70 min for a 12k have you ever thought of how fast you would do it if you run? We were doing our 8k with full kit in 35/40min and then their was the times on the assault course, their was some super fast times being done on that.

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
70 min for a 12k have you ever thought of how fast you would do it if you run? We were doing our 8k with full kit in 35/40min and then their was the times on the assault course, their was some super fast times being done on that.
Wasn't the 8k distance measured for a chemical attack radius or something anyway? Method to the madness.......

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't the 8k distance measured for a chemical attack radius or something anyway? Method to the madness.......

Don’t no buddy, just no it was one where you dug deep and gave it your all as nothing like finishing before your buddies 🥇

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
QUOTE="mm66, post: 223347, member: 2552"]Wasn't the 8k distance measured for a chemical attack radius or something anyway? Method to the madness.......[/QUOTE]

Aye 8km marche commando or 8km T.A.P., as ît is some times called
Evacuate a contaminated zone (chemical attack. ..the stuff they bung can only travel so far before disippating

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Do you meet these standards SnafuSmite?
Almost but not quite, have a little bit of work to do, but am confident I will be there when I plan to depart. I still wanna improve my pull-ups and running times, I need to work in my pacing, I tend to go full throttle at the beginning and then taper down instead of a constant steady pace.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Absolutely, with the correct training and being in a good physical condition you can smash that time. I was using it a benchmark for the minimum I feel one should be able to do, if one wants to appear a decent candidate.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think I meet your requirements. 70 min for a 12k shouldn't be a problem. I'm doing 10k in about 55 min Usually combination of faster and slower km's. Pull ups, about 14 good , I have to work on it (that would improve it self when I lose those 5 kgs). Push-ups Im' on 60 max.

I think what you give good guide for guys in what shape they need to be. Especially older like me. Younger could sneak in with lower numbers

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Snafu i was the same with pacing at the start. A tip to pacing yourself when ur outside is you shoukd be able to sing a song like happy birthday without running out of breathe. Then obv as fitness grows you can go faster.

Last edited:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Snafu i was the same with pacing at the start. A tip to pacing yourself when ur outside is you shoukd be able to sing a song like happy birthday without running out of breathe. Then obv as fitness grows you can go faster.
I'll run singing Le Boudin!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Found out the requirements.
Form is everything. Minimum 7 pull ups, chin above bar, elbows locked. Dead hang at each rep. Fuck me that's a set back. Hopefully not too much of a decrease in reps on my part

Vary your width, maybe wider because you have to pull up a lesser distance. Some do it closer less spread out and they rely on really strong biceps. Now I am talking palms inboard, facing you. some guys have very strong back/lat muscles and they do palms away and very wide grip, but you have to be cock strong for these. But the pay off, you only have a very short distance to pull.

When they did away with the Kip motion on pull-ups and we went to straight dead hangs, as if you were moving straight up and down in a tube. Many a times the monitor for PFTs has his count and you have yours, you're on 20 and he's on like 10.

I gave this routine once before: As little rest as you can between sets certainly no more than a minute

1 Pull up & 5 Push ups
2 Pull ups & 10 Push ups
3 and 15
4 and 20
5 and 25

then

5 and 25
4 and 20
3 and 15
2 and 10
1 and 5

This is a good routine to build strength. You can also get a harness and add weights hanging from your waist.

What no one said yet, from what I have read is this, the Caporal tells it straight, first thing mount the bar and begin, don't get 7 you're out the door immediately. Don't go in there wearing super heavy jeans and boots, come on man think about it light running shoes and a pair of clean work-out clothes, light weight. A Marine Corps Digital Pattern Camo Uniform, your skivvies, and boots weighs 9 pounds

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yep.

Another edit: when they say locked, they mean your lats. DON'T LOCK YOUR ELBOWS, YOU NEED ARM TENSION. if you lock your elbows, you will be causing damage.

There is straight, locked, and bent it is a combination of the first two not the last. You will be counting 1,2,3,4,... The Caporal will be 1,1,1,2,2,2,3.... You failed

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Come on guys if you can’t bang out 15-20 chins or pull-ups then find the form for joining a circus as you sound like clowns if young men in their prime wanting to join an army are struggling to meet basic fitness I just struggle to understand!
I could understand if you were worried about speaking French or not being a good shot or other military stuff but basic fitness get a life as your dreamers as the one thing you can do is get fit or to be honest you should be fit regardless and on the point over and out!

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Come on guys if you can’t bang out 15-20 chins or pull-ups then find the form for joining a circus as you sound like clowns if young men in their prime wanting to join an army are struggling to meet basic fitness I just struggle to understand!
I could understand if you were worried about speaking French or not being a good shot or other military stuff but basic fitness get a life as your dreamers as the one thing you can do is get fit or to be honest you should be fit regardless and on the point over and out!

Nothing more needs to be said on the matter😂😂!!