a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old vs young

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
There seems to be alot of old vs young on the forum now compared to when i joined cervens about 6 years ago. I enjoy the banter and the advice from both sides but i think people need to accept that times have changed. It isnt the way it was way back when, wannabes now are definetly overthinking it but for good reason. The legion is extremely picky from what ive heard. There has been past members that seemed ideal but didnt make the cut and i remember a member that didnt get in due to having weed in his system and then got in his second try. There arent alot of active greens anymore but we should all try get on nonetheless and stop belittling ‘le rêveur ’. Probably going to get slaughtered but c'est la vie.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
What to say, you are probably right. I would confirm that to you. Soon, when I become Legionnaire !

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Well, for old and young there are different motivations, which is why I ask so many questions here whenever I can.

I prefer to have all my chess pieces in the game, hit the ground running, tick all checklists, stand out.

Maybe I would be trying too hard, but I want to make it hard for the Legion to reject me over someone else.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
How auld is auld ?
I think i know what you mean tho. ..
I put it down to a generation thing and you will find this in most " professions " (especially the army and more so the Legion, or anciens if you prefer ! )
In between, " Anciens " and future candidats, is a massive amount of new technology
I watch the Legion vids put out on You tube, the special reportages on T.V. Even the Camerones are celibrated with a massive amount of technical ressources (for archives most likely )
Looking at what the Legion pretends to be, today and the Legion that i once knew, is a world apart
Nowadays, evry one has the right to complain and they do
Sign of the times i suppose (we, the anciens, are on our way out and, Yous,the wannabes are on your way in, right ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
There seems to be alot of old vs young on the forum now compared to when i joined cervens about 6 years ago. I enjoy the banter and the advice from both sides but i think people need to accept that times have changed. It isnt the way it was way back when, wannabes now are definetly overthinking it but for good reason. The legion is extremely picky from what ive heard. There has been past members that seemed ideal but didnt make the cut and i remember a member that didnt get in due to having weed in his system and then got in his second try. There arent alot of active greens anymore but we should all try get on nonetheless and stop belittling ‘le rêveur ’. Probably going to get slaughtered but c'est la vie.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
GuidoLovarini,

I am greatly disquieted about the lack of Greens. The Dreamers however, are very necessary for this forum to survive especially since some Dreamers turn to reality and attempt selection. Even enthusiastic dreaming is good as long as posts are sensible. But I believe there will always now be a paucity of Greens since they have moved on in life.

I enjoy this forum with some mature Green input and some of the friendly joshing from others. A month or so ago I was going to discontinue association. However I have decided to give it a second chance which will make you all groan in dismay !lol

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Many dreamers who became green don't turn back to forum that's one reason why we are have paucity of them.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Was dreamers that made this world
Dreams are free = it costs you nowt /nothing /nada or nista, if you prefer (just time )

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well, I'm going to repeat part of what I told papillion in another post.
In our day there was no forum. no FB twitter, instagram ...
You had books, rumors, snippets of info that had been passed on from a friend who heard it from a distant cousin who knows someone who joined but deserted.

Nowadays you have all that and Cervens. You have those who have been there and those who have tried but left after instruction and those who did not make it after Aubagne. All have asked many questions and listened to many answers. There's been lot's of 'thanks a lot for the advice'. Once in their regiment they have forgotten when they were sponging and soaking up all the information.

Perhaps those greens would like to share us photos and explanations of what they're doing

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Ay
GuidoLovarini,

I am greatly disquieted about the lack of Greens. The Dreamers however, are very necessary for this forum to survive especially since some Dreamers turn to reality and attempt selection. Even enthusiastic dreaming is good as long as posts are sensible. But I believe there will always now be a paucity of Greens since they have moved on in life.

I enjoy this forum with some mature Green input and some of the friendly joshing from others. A month or so ago I was going to discontinue association. However I have decided to give it a second chance which will make you all groan in dismay !lol

Aye you canny be leaving chas mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
I have considered and thought what might happen after I go, if I go.

I have no idea the rules of the barracks - whether we are allowed laptops or phones.

Legion is different from armies of other countries. In America today you can join army or marine and dress up in frilly bra and watch cartoons in barracks, nobody bats an eye.

All things considered, would a Legionnaire be punished for browsing cervens and talking here while in service?

Then comes the fact it is 5 years of service. Contact with outside world is minimal. During breaks, legionnaires will probably be at home with family or getting drunk with comrades.

After service is where legionnaires will probably return to tell their stories. But some may be looking to the future and seeing what they can do then.

All in all, it is an uphill battle. 5 years is a long time on internet and the service will change people.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I have considered and thought what might happen after I go, if I go.

I have no idea the rules of the barracks - whether we are allowed laptops or phones.

Legion is different from armies of other countries. In America today you can join army or marine and dress up in frilly bra and watch cartoons in barracks, nobody bats an eye.

All things considered, would a Legionnaire be punished for browsing cervens and talking here while in service?

Then comes the fact it is 5 years of service. Contact with outside world is minimal. During breaks, legionnaires will probably be at home with family or getting drunk with comrades.

After service is where legionnaires will probably return to tell their stories. But some may be looking to the future and seeing what they can do then.

All in all, it is an uphill battle. 5 years is a long time on internet and the service will change people.

How much have you actually looked into the modern day legion mate ? Your aloud to buy a simple phone when your at castel !! Nevermind after basic training. Ofcourse you will be aloud to browse cervens and own a laptop/smart phone. Its your free time to do pretty much what you want. Many legionnaires have facebooks and instagram that are updated daily so contact with the outside world is definetly not minimal. You maybe be rhinking of the legion many moons ago bud but its 2018 now😀

Please dont take any of that the wrong way mukka.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
How much have you actually looked into the modern day legion mate ? Your aloud to buy a simple phone when your at castel !! Nevermind after basic training. Ofcourse you will be aloud to browse cervens and own a laptop/smart phone. Its your free time to do pretty much what you want. Many legionnaires have facebooks and instagram that are updated daily so contact with the outside world is definetly not minimal. You maybe be rhinking of the legion many moons ago bud but its 2018 now😀

Guido, you've about summed it up. There are TVs in the rooms and probably free wifi in the regiments, the legion moves with the times. The MAS 36 is out and the HK is in (+ou -)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
They dont work saturday mornings any more, from what i have heard (service and permanence exclu. ..in line with the regulars)

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Back to a point I said on another or this thread! If it was my time now then no thanks think I liked it a bit tougher less digital media and turning up fit with very little information apart from one word in French “Bon Jour” and don’t no where that came from.😀

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State

Haha, I never read much of modern legion. But hearing what you say makes me smile and relieves me of some worries.

Only things I know are rumours of some hazing, hard ass NCO, and hard grit among everyone.

Legion is seen as the old, traditional army where the worst went.
An old friend made a joke that they'll push you until you want to die in the sand, and it was easier and more freedom to join other armies.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Haha, I never read much of modern legion. But hearing what you say makes me smile and relieves me of some worries.

Only things I know are rumours of some hazing, hard ass NCO, and hard grit among everyone.

Legion is seen as the old, traditional army where the worst went.
An old friend made a joke that they'll push you until you want to die in the sand, and it was easier and more freedom to join other armies.

Ofcourse they will bud but all eyes are on the legion with social media and everything else im sure theres still some beatings etc but not the way it once was. Concentrate on your fitness and shit and forget everything else.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
GuidoLovarini,

Chas,
Even if I can see why you've thought about stopping... this forum wouldn't be the same if you were gone.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
How about us, of which I seem to be the last standing, ‘greens’ from Algeria? Probably too ancien, eh?