a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another hello

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
That warrior feeling inside of you, that both moves your life in some direction, but then it's painful when you can't fully satisfied it. Things like masculinity, brotherhood, honor, loyalty etc. I bet most, if not all of you understand me well. For the rest, it couldn't be explained with simple words.

Two times I tried joining a military unit, but I didn't succeed. First time I tried in my own country, Bulgaria, not that the force is anywhere close to the top level, but it was the 'normal choice'. I wen't through all - medical tests, iq, psycho, physical etc, got disqualified for having visible tattooes. (outdated thinking and rules in this country, what can I say..)
Second time I wanted to join a military branch in the US, no luck into getting my green card, which is necessary for a foreigner to be able to join.

So here I am, 26yo now, and despite actually doing good in life I'm just not really happy. Last few years I live in like a circle of some months a normal civil life and then always strikes me this feeling/need for military life. So far I only satisfy myself with plenty of books, memoirs, series, documentaries etc, but it's for a short time as then this feeling/need is coming back even stronger.

I'll most probably try my luck in the Legion this late autumn / winter. Both because I know fewer people try to enlist at that time of the year and because I personally prefer cold over hot, altho as a Legionnaire to be, I guess I should be ok with any weather.
The thing is, I'm superb motivated and I know(based on what I read or watch) the lack of sleep, food, the beatings etc that will follow. All of that and more I can pass, as I know me for being strongly disciplined and motivated to follow what I want(altho Im sure everyone says that for himself)... but this time just on an optimistic level I'm down, you know.

Because I know how strict the Legion is on the medical stuff, altho I'm healthy, never been sick in the past 9 years I think I have my own little problems.
- In here I read about a guy that got disqualified for Scoliosis. Altho I passed medical tests in my country, one of doctors whos job was this exact thing, told me I have it in a minor way' or something like that.
- My teeths, I don't have caries(got 2 fixed of it tooths) but I can't say I got the best smile either. (not a smoker, but I drink lot's of coffee). Are they gonna made me a problem? I don't have any missing either.
- I dont have driving license (altho I consider doing this prior of coming, but then it will be just a document, no real experience)
- And the biggest thing - I cannot swim. If there is 1 fear I have, it is deep water, especially deep wavy water... Do they teach people to swim, and how/what time they give you in the busy days, or they require this skill prior of coming?
- Another thing that should not be, but might be a problem, do they consider runes as a nazi symbols? Of course they are not and I have other nordic tats to prove they are not used in this way, but should I be worried?

Considering all of the above, as strange as it might sound, I'm both motivated, yet not really optimistic for my chances. Would be glad to receive some feedback on my issues, perhaps some advices from the more experienced people around. Congrats on the forum, it looks like a nice place to chat and share some time.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. Don't say too much. As for swimming you will be taught. Any recruit who claims not to be afraid of something is a liar.

Get fit and go for it. Your best chance for being accepted is a positive attitude and determination.

Chas- Trained by former WW2 Cdos. An old fart with a distinguished T.Shirt.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Big welcome to the forum. swimming should not be a problem to begin with. But as time goes on and there is a public swimming pool very close to 1 RE barracks, they may adopt the Brit para technique and have the recruits jump in at the deep end. Albeit, the Brits have them jump off the top board.

Have your blood pressure checked before trying to join because of too much caffeine.

The biggest problem that I can see is the scoliosis, and it is a big problem. I'm not a doctor but ...Just remember if you don't make there are several others waiting to take your place.
Good luck to you.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
As for swimming you will be taught.

Actually Chas (Joe and of course ForestSoul - I wish him a welcome ) he should be worried about swimming. According to stories from guys who been there recently 8last month or two) looks like FFL introduced rule that candidates how to be able to swim.

Info is not 100% checked. but I heard already few times so there is good possibility that it's true.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Thanks for the replies. I will try find myself a swimming course this summer to at least know some basics.
I have decided that no matter all, I'd try my chances this upcoming winter.

one question about beards, is it possible to have one while in pre-selection, and shave it when you are accepted for the real training etc? Or/and while a legionnaire, at what time/year you can grow one again?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hi Foresoul,

I am impressed by your command of the English language. I always though Bulgarians might have a problem there. Are you sure you are genuine? How is your French?

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
La mien aussie

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hi Foresoul,

I am impressed by your command of the English language. I always though Bulgarians might have a problem there. Are you sure you are genuine? How is your French?
English is universal, everyone should know some. I don't speak French(yet, I hope), but I do speak Russian well, so at least I got that to work for me in a perfect scenario where I'll be part of the whole. :)

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
English is universal, everyone should know some. I don't speak French(yet, I hope), but I do speak Russian well, so at least I got that to work for me in a perfect scenario where I'll be part of the whole. :)

Ok, fairenough, my Bulgarian is pretty basic, but my Russiian is reasonably good, at least when it comes to get friendly with the local ladies.

Here goes:

Krasiva ja djevoska! Kak vashe ime? Je vash liubio! Kak vashe numero telefoniko?

(Not patented, yet)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Krasiva ja djevoska! Kak vashe ime? Je vash liubio! Kak vashe numero telefoniko?

(Not patented, yet)

In Serbian pretty girl could be said "krsna devojka" so Serbs when flirting with Russian girls tend to say "krasnaja devushka". I can imagine confusion on girl's face. when she here that. :) (in Russian "krasnaja" means "red one (she)")

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Lepa godjipsika. .kako ci vi?
Ja sam dobro, ali boli mi mudi, capito?
Is a joke in France
A french woman has a husband on her left hand
A lover on her right hand
And nothing in her head
A Serbian woman has shopping bags on her left hand
Children on her right hand
And her husband in her head

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Krasnaja = crismon (a shade of red (ginger, if you want)
Russkies or Popovs are RED
2018 Serbes are wannabe daltoniens

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
I feel like I shouldn't be saying this knowing that I speak fluently one of the hardest languages in the world (Arabic) but man Russian is really tough and all the eastern European languages for me are a mystery. I mean in Arabic there isn't a single sound that we don't have so we can pronounce literally any sound spoken in any other language but still eastern european languages to me (russian included) are a mystery.
Although even in Arabic there are tons of accents and dialects that natives don't even understand or can't make out easily.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
- And the biggest thing - I cannot swim. If there is 1 fear I have, it is deep water, especially deep wavy water... Do they teach people to swim, and how/what time they give you in the busy days, or they require this skill prior of coming?.
Swimming is a good skill to have, once you lose the fear to the water, you will love it. If i were you, i first would go to a swiming school learn the basic and then try with the sea (a good exercise), forget about rivers unless you know the river and you are a skilled swimmer,, they can be treacherous, they may seem calm but they may not be.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello ForestSoul,
welcome to the forum and if you wish we can speak our native language in private :)
No beard no tattoos at the face, less speaking, more listening, a lot of push ups and running :)
You are lucky there is Bulgarian doctor in the Fort de Nogent in Paris if you are going to join go there.
Anything else PM me.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Big welcome to the forum. swimming should not be a problem to begin with. But as time goes on and there is a public swimming pool very close to 1 RE barracks, they may adopt the Brit para technique and have the recruits jump in at the deep end. Albeit, the Brits have them jump off the top board.

Have your blood pressure checked before trying to join because of too much caffeine.

The biggest problem that I can see is the scoliosis, and it is a big problem. I'm not a doctor but ...Just remember if you don't make there are several others waiting to take your place.
Good luck to you.
What blood pressure level gets you disqualified