a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brit hoping to join

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello 1165finne and a big welcome to the forum.

the last sentance should be changed for "do learn to swim, it could save your life" to "do learn to swim it could make the difference of getting in or a size 10 rangers up the backside and a return ticket"

The same as learning French. With so many candidates to choose from, saying that as soon as you decided to join you started to learn French, may tip the scales. With today's social media there is no excuse to turn up at the legion without knowing how to swim the minimum requirement or the basis of French. What I mean by that is you have been forewarned.

One more thing, quitting the army because of a girl, probably doesn't even sound romantic even to you today. It would be a no-go to a legion recruiter. Whatever reason you give, whatever you do, do not change it later on, coming clean so to speak.
haha...that Video is funny i remember seeing that on tv as a kid….
charles_atlas1.jpg

Reaction score
Home Country
England
1165finne, No problem, take any certificates that you have of your service, black out the surname if you like, and post them before Monday evening.
And remember JF, I have your IP and mail address.
On that subject does anyone have any info on our night jumper, loustic, Alain, Dorsel , I mean the guy is ... ! I'm Not on face book, but the back reports I'm getting are worrying :coffee:.

If any of you out there are 'friends' with our phantom legionnaire, ask him to put out a photo of himself
Hi Joseph here is a wage slip of mine from when I was in 7 para the, hope that's sufficient for you.20180624_114635.jpg

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Agreed, the name corresponds,
No personal feelings here, just making sure that we don't have any walts.
Sorry mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
not sure how you embed a Video on here but i´ll try. check out this dude. even has a Purple heart. None of These guys are ever the cook Always sas,para..etc. I remember there was a guy posing as ex FFL even had a Tattoo done ...:D

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert,

On FB the RM have a forum purely for those that can provide proof of service. It even denies supporters or enthusiasts joining. Reason being so many Walts have attempted to join.

This is the same with the Once a Marine always a Marine site.

We expose on a regular basis people in the public domain wandering around wearing combats and insignias. Even in civvies with ties and badges.

We are ever vigilant. As for me I have never challenged anyone (with one exception) in my local I gently queried a man boasting about his SBS service. This was several years ago in the village I have lived in for 30 years. He was unable to substantiate his claims and scuttled away.

I dislike confrontation but loathe and detest Walts.

Chas. RM-HKP & Queen's TA.
SF Club 1980/2001.
RMA Life Member.
Green Beret Commando Association Life Member.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert,

On FB the RM have a forum purely for those that can provide proof of service. It even denies supporters or enthusiasts joining. Reason being so many Walts have attempted to join.

This is the same with the Once a Marine always a Marine site.

We expose on a regular basis people in the public domain wandering around wearing combats and insignias. Even in civvies with ties and badges.

We are ever vigilant. As for me I have never challenged anyone (with one exception) in my local I gently queried a man boasting about his SBS service. This was several years ago in the village I have lived in for 30 years. He was unable to substantiate his claims and scuttled away.

I dislike confrontation but loathe and detest Walts.

Chas. RM-HKP & Queen's TA.
SF Club 1980/2001.
RMA Life Member.
Green Beret Commando Association Life Member.
Chas you´ll love this guy… says he was in the Falklands. we had a guy in our Battery a Sgt ex 29 commando who told me he had a brother in the SBS. of Course it was true. he was our Signals Sgt . was a wiry Little guy with the typical 70s/80s Moustache...lol Top soldier. Anyway… check out this dude……:LOL: later in the R Signals we had ex 264 SAS Signals guys too. remember one was a Staff Sgt in our stores. He tought Tae Kwon Do in the Gym. One Thing About These guys was how laid back they were. .. very friendy no Bullshit.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert,

As a recruit I joined as a callow youth a tad under 5'7". I developed into a wiry guy and boxed a bit. I put my size down to the London blitz, poor food with war rationing and my children's home (Barnardos/Quedley.)

I got last vacancy as a RM officer. I believed it was swayed by the fact that I was offered a commission in Para by a certain Capt. Farrar Hockley, wearing a red beret with Gloster cap badge, Gloster shoulder flashes, Pegasus symbol and wings. This was after selection and beastings at Maida by evil little men my size. December 1958.

As I recall the SAS principal hand to hand combat instructors (slap, happy chappies) were short almost diminutive and Welsh.

Finally when I joined the old Cervens forum my service was challenged by some Greens. I sorted that out rather rapidly and we had a laugh about it.

Chas. Former RMV202910 Mne- 20/06/1956 etc etc.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert,

As a recruit I joined as a callow youth a tad under 5'7". I developed into a wiry guy and boxed a bit. I put my size down to the London blitz, poor food with war rationing and my children's home (Barnardos/Quedley.)

I got last vacancy as a RM officer. I believed it was swayed by the fact that I was offered a commission in Para by a certain Capt. Farrar Hockley, wearing a red beret with Gloster cap badge, Gloster shoulder flashes, Pegasus symbol and wings. This was after selection and beastings at Maida by evil little men my size. December 1958.

As I recall the SAS principal hand to hand combat instructors (slap, happy chappies) were short almost diminutive and Welsh.

Finally when I joined the old Cervens forum my service was challenged by some Greens. I sorted that out rather rapidly and we had a laugh about it.

Chas. Former RMV202910 Mne- 20/06/1956 etc etc.

I believe you Chas. I remember when i used to go back home i went up the Masonic Lodge where i lived with my Old Man, he was a member met some old guys who were in Aden, Borneo.... A friend of my Fathers was Korea. A lot i met were Argyll & southerland Highlanders. was the local Battalion & all the recruiters were in Stirling Argylls.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
what i really would like to know is did the Cooks really wank into the Beans? :censored:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I believe you Chas. I remember when i used to go back home i went up the Masonic Lodge where i lived with my Old Man, he was a member met some old guys who were in Aden, Borneo.... A friend of my Fathers was Korea. A lot i met were Argyll & southerland Highlanders. was the local Battalion & all the recruiters were in Stirling Argylls.

Spent a good 4 months in 1976 traveling round our patch 4 of us with a land rover a caravan doing pop up recruiting in towns and villages for my regiment 1st Bn A&S Highlanders, that was a good gig came on the back of the save the A&SH (save the thin red line!)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Spent a good 4 months in 1976 traveling round our patch 4 of us with a land rover a caravan doing pop up recruiting in towns and villages for my regiment 1st Bn A&S Highlanders, that was a good gig came on the back of the save the A&SH (save the thin red line!)
yeh...good guys. Did a cape tour too for our regt after we did a Salute at Edinburgh Castle.
534913_10201568783812035_991491545_n.jpg

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The good old Slop jockys made some great scoff…:LOL: Just goes to Show that you don´t Need to be ex infantry to join the Legion.
I did do the All Arms Commando Course and was attached (not as a slop jocky but as a qualified army chef) to 59 Cdo RE in Arbroath, condor barracks:rolleyes:. I've got a certifacate and a photo somewhere in a carton in France.

As for the beans and rumors of getting raw liver pregnant or trying to, I'd heard the rumors, but never witnessed it.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
My uncle was pipe major in the A/S (Seamus / Jimmy Johnstone )
Served with mad mitch in Aden
Photo knocking about (black and white) of him playing pipes in Crater

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I did do the All Arms Commando Course and was attached (not as a slop jocky but as a qualified army chef) to 59 Cdo RE in Arbroath, condor barracks:rolleyes:. I've got a certifacate and a photo somewhere in a carton in France.

As for the beans and rumors of getting raw liver pregnant or trying to, I'd heard the rumors, but never witnessed it.
The compo sausages were great...take the middle one out...haha. no but the ACC guys were great. Remember one called Ali.. used to give us food compo sausages..lol at stupid o´clock in the morning when on the piss. Army bread & we made our sannies in the block. Hohne with 40 Field RA. I should also add that Ali was a fan of Angies Bar a whore house outside camp.