a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanting to join the Legion

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So a little about me first. I am 20 years old and have realized that no matter what I do won't make me happy. I attended high school and learned discipline through our marching band program, and even after two years of going to college and five years of work at a Polish deli in my hometown I'm missing something important. The camaraderie. Everywhere I go, whether it be to school to work or just out in public in general I've realized that the FFL is really my only option. Je suis un American et j'ai étudie la langue de français dépuis quatre ans dans mon lycée. Mon français est pas mal mais c'est pas bien aussie. Je comprends plus que je ne peux parler.

I am 6'1" (185cm), 176lbs (80kg), and can run 10km in about 45min. I have been training and preparing myself for the legion since February of this year and I need some honest feedback. Well, at least an answer. Am I FFL material. For me its the Legion or bust at this point.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
First off welcome to the forum.
Can you do 7 pull ups? Can you swim? Also is there anything preventing you from joining the US military, if not I suggest you give that a go before trying for the Legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. No-one can tell you if you are FFL material or not. You can only find out for yourself by going.

The provisos are that you are fit for your body size and can meet the minimum physical standards required. Also a basic knowledge of French will be a great asset.

Joining is all in the mind. You must think positive at all times and have what I call the; Want Factor.

Go for it.

I did in 1956 ! :) Yes and became a Green Bereted Commando.(y)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
First off welcome to the forum.
Can you do 7 pull ups? Can you swim? Also is there anything preventing you from joining the US military, if not I suggest you give that a go before trying for the Legion.
Thanks friend. There really isn't anything stopping me from joining the U.S. military except for firsthand experience from my cousins who said that people really just don't care (well he was in the navy so I dunno), but its more of a gut feeling telling me not to do it. At the moment I can push out 10 palm out pull ups, yes I can swim quite well I used to work as a lifeguard for a summer job.
Welcome to the forum. No-one can tell you if you are FFL material or not. You can only find out for yourself by going.

The provisos are that you are fit for your body size and can meet the minimum physical standards required. Also a basic knowledge of French will be a great asset.

Joining is all in the mind. You must think positive at all times and have what I call the; Want Factor.

Go for it.

I did in 1956 ! :) Yes and became a Green Bereted Commando.(y)
Thanks mate, I do have that 'want factor', but I suppose I'm struggling with the positivity. I seem to doubt myself.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Fitness wise you sound pretty good, I'd reccomend speaking to a recruiter of the US military first, see what your options are and then re-evaluate your options. As far as I can see there's massive recruitment drives happening in the states at the moment.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The thing is I’m kinda looking for redemption. It’s not that I don’t want to join the U.S. military it’s that I want to join the Legion. I’ve set myself this goal because I know I can better my life doing this, even if it means becoming cannon fodder for France. I attended university for pharmacy and loved the subject, but like I said in my first post, I realized I’m not going to be happy in life. I need the camaraderie.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Knav (mega those bithes up bro) , its your choice. But think up some very good answers to why you didn't want to join the US army. And make them good because they will find it very hard to believe.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Knav (mega those bithes up bro) , its your choice. But think up some very good answers to why you didn't want to join the US army. And make them good because they will find it very hard to believe.
Thank you for replying! Along with my cousin's testament of how shit his time in the navy was, I was also in some classes at uni with a guy who went through Fallujah, ex-marine, he got the government compensation and money he deserved after his service, but his mental state was completely destroyed from who he was before he joined. I guess you can chalk it up to war but the treatment he gets in day to day life in Chicago is abysmal. The VA is doing shit for him and two I don't want to end up like him. I've read up about how the Legion takes care of it's vets and I find it far more appealing than what the U.S. can offer.

Also I'm Polish, my father was in the military during soviet-era Poland and I'm well versed in European history because of it (partly due to Polish school here in the states). He would do anything for his country and so would I. Part of me wants to give back directly to France. They helped Poland out so many times throughout history. I'm comfortable with dying for a cause. I've dealt with so much loss in my life that I've kinda came over the fear of death, well at least an understanding that I'm comfortable with.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Knav maga these bitches up bro !!!! :)

Anyone have info what happened to our krav maga friend? Last time we heard from him he was in Aubagne park hiding in bushes. :)

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Knav maga these bitches up bro !!!! :)

Anyone have info what happened to our krav maga friend? Last time we heard from him he was in Aubagne park hiding in bushes. :)
Nothing yet, last he spoke to me he said he would post when he had his wings.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Khav,
Gin dobre. Jestem pan Charles. Ja movimy popolski. Powodzenia, byc ostroznym.:)

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
So a little about me first. I am 20 years old and have realized that no matter what I do won't make me happy. I attended high school and learned discipline through our marching band program, and even after two years of going to college and five years of work at a Polish deli in my hometown I'm missing something important. The camaraderie. Everywhere I go, whether it be to school to work or just out in public in general I've realized that the FFL is really my only option. Je suis un American et j'ai étudie la langue de français dépuis quatre ans dans mon lycée. Mon français est pas mal mais c'est pas bien aussie. Je comprends plus que je ne peux parler.

I am 6'1" (185cm), 176lbs (80kg), and can run 10km in about 45min. I have been training and preparing myself for the legion since February of this year and I need some honest feedback. Well, at least an answer. Am I FFL material. For me its the Legion or bust at this point.

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania

get a woman and you'll be happy. Forget about the army,it's not for you .

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Khav,
Re : Post No : 14 from seba31. Polish girls are 'bardzo wadna pinkna' as I discovered when I visited !(y)

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Khav,
Re : Post No : 14 from seba31. Polish girls are 'bardzo wadna pinkna' as I discovered when I visited !(y)
Yeah mate,polish girls are so fine... I've had the honour to work in a factory in England where the polish workers were 90 % of the "general population"so yeah,ikr :p