a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go as long as you can

Canonnier

Reaction score
Home Country
Germany
to everyone thinking about going - just go! you never know how long you are able to.

I wanted to go badly, was in homecountry military but always felt i wasnt fit enough, wanted to be as fit as possible.

I did normal military stuff (not much compared to legion) went to the gym 4 times a week. now ive been at home for a year, same with gym, jogging at least 3 times a week, 2 times swimming.

But i that screwed me over. i hvae arthritis in both knees, chronic kneepain in my right one. walking stairs hurts like a putain.

Am in phyiso, told me 50+% if the protective tissue in my knees is gone, if i continue like that my knees will be properly messed up in a couple years. Phycist told me no chance you can go back to a job like military.

I know peope laugh at old folks when they say "as you get older everything hurts and your body falls apart". but its true

im turning 26 this year.

Bottom line- if you reall want to go, just gio, befoe you turn 25 and you body falls apart.

Good luck

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You are unfortunate , some guys can be fit enough in their fifties, there was a UK journalist who did the physical side of Royal Marine Commando training at 55.

notatexan

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
love hearing about how people want to be in best shape before arriving. putting it off and off. just go. I did, was hardly in shape at all.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
love hearing about how people want to be in best shape before arriving. putting it off and off. just go. I did, was hardly in shape at all.
Hey Tex, long time since we heard from you. What are you to?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You are unfortunate , some guys can be fit enough in their fifties, there was a UK journalist who did the physical side of Royal Marine Commando training at 55.

Correct he was a superb athlete. He carried weights equivalent to his camera and equipment as opposed to weapons etc. He was magnificent but had to re-run the Tarzan Assault Course. He also had problems on the Endurance Course and final 30 miler in under 8 hours. Sheer guts, determination and mind over matter. Subsequently he was embedded with Cdos on ops in Afghanistan. Good film producer.

I knew a man who at 45 passed SAS selection. He was from a Scots Regiment and became a SAS Colonel. I knew him in the SF Club. RIP ace man.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Correct he was a superb athlete. He carried weights equivalent to his camera and equipment as opposed to weapons etc. He was magnificent but had to re-run the Tarzan Assault Course. He also had problems on the Endurance Course and final 30 miler in under 8 hours. Sheer guts, determination and mind over matter. Subsequently he was embedded with Cdos on ops in Afghanistan. Good film producer.

I knew a man who at 45 passed SAS selection. He was from a Scots Regiment and became a SAS Colonel. I knew him in the SF Club. RIP ace man.
I remember we had a Sgt in the Gunners who got in was about early 30s. He loved Making US do pokey Drill with the SLR. Passed selection. I used to train & drink with an Ex Royal Anglian here who re joined his old Battalion in Celle, Shorty after got in the SAS. Was a very fit guy who was also into weights .. He liked shotokan Karate too. Was about 26 i think at the time. One time we were out running & got to his Street & he suddenly said let's Sprint the last part...he just like took off...i shouted put the f@cking kettle on. Was one fit Bastard !:LOL:

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina

Texan is not as easy as you put, is not just about the "Just do it". If instead of giving you a contract they had give you a temporal and told you to come back in 3 months. No big deal, you go back to the US, you get a shitty job, work for the 3 months and fix the issue you had. Those 3 months of working is more than enough to get a plane ticket to france and some money left, then you go back and try your luck again.
Same goes for those who are in the same continent, a train ticket to France is extremly cheap. Hell even if you are really close you can even go in a bicycle..
Hell if i was a native from Europe, i would be knocking their door till they let me or kick me so hard in the ass they sent me back to my country.....
Now when you are far outside the continent and the average wage you get per month is about 2 US dollars per hour, then any rejection becomes permanent. Even if you go and they tell you come back in 3 months, it's OVER, it will take you more than a year to get a ticket JUST to get in France.
So you have to put your own deadlines to when knock the door (my case near the end of my visa) and try to get in better shape as you can, anything that can help for a favourable outcome is not only welcome but needed.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Texan is not as easy as you put, is not just about the "Just do it". If instead of giving you a contract they had give you a temporal and told you to come back in 3 months. No big deal, you go back to the US, you get a shitty job, work for the 3 months and fix the issue you had. Those 3 months of working is more than enough to get a plane ticket to france and some money left, then you go back and try your luck again.
Same goes for those who are in the same continent, a train ticket to France is extremly cheap. Hell even if you are really close you can even go in a bicycle..
Hell if i was a native from Europe, i would be knocking their door till they let me or kick me so hard in the ass they sent me back to my country.....
Now when you are far outside the continent and the average wage you get per month is about 2 US dollars per hour, then any rejection becomes permanent. Even if you go and they tell you come back in 3 months, it's OVER, it will take you more than a year to get a ticket JUST to get in France.
So you have to put your own deadlines to when knock the door (my case near the end of my visa) and try to get in better shape as you can, anything that can help for a favourable outcome is not only welcome but needed.
Just looked at prices where I am...very cheap. Hannover to Straßburg

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Just looked at prices where I am...very cheap. Hannover to Straßburg
From Argentina to Paris is 1200 euros per ticket and you cannot buy one way trip, 1200 x2 plus taxes, ends like 3000 euros. Those "cheap" travel to Paris for only 900 euros are rip offs, that when you try to buy "Opps we are out, you see that guy there?? Well he just got the last one, but we have other options".

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Too true unfortunately, just plane tickets are 2 months salary for me, excluding all the visa stuff. Not easy coming from the other end of the world.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

I firmly believe that if you are physically fit for your body size you should simply go. The Legion PTIs' will then get you to the required standard.:unsure:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I firmly believe that if you are physically fit for your body size you should simply go. The Legion PTIs' will then get you to the required standard.:unsure:
yeah...good old Beasting...hahaha

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bollocks you are mere skin .:D
Well i've actually been blessed with quite good genes...looking a bit younger than my years. I know people who are under 30 & look much oder. Just luck too. I don't smoke & drink only beer now & again. Never touch any hard stuff.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So not a real Scot... LOL no Whisky. Tried it one time was sick. Never drunk it again. My Uncle was from Islay my mother too & he worked in a Distillery there. Liked his Whisky. Neat..straight no water. Lived with US later as he got sick. Was in N Africa in the war. I liked him.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
So not a real Scot... LOL no Whisky. Tried it one time was sick. Never drunk it again. My Uncle was from Islay my mother too & he worked in a Distillery there. Liked his Whisky. Neat..straight no water. Lived with US later as he got sick. Was in N Africa in the war. I liked him.
Some good distilleries in Islay.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Physical is at least 7 pull ups

If you can t. ..go fucque your self

The meaning of “at least” / Minimum

“We will open the door, let you in for a few weeks and then fucque your self no contract for you”

A realistic “minimum” if someone wants to get a contract would be around the 15 pull ups and 9 palets for luc leger. Those who went there doing less and then comment here got not contract and in some case they were told to come back at a later time after doing 7 pull ups.

If I recall you correctly you said that in your time, you only had to go knock the door and they will give you a contract. Right now if we take the comments from people who went this year or last year, you are in a competition for a contract and in any competition doing the “minimum” or near it won’t cut it