a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion Fan, Intro

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Curious American interested in the Legion, not a wannabee. Been lurking here for a bit.

I served in the US Marine Corps in the 80s and 90s – various Asian countries, Central America, and one combat tour in Africa, namely Somalia (92/93). I was an artillery forward observer, which often mainly consisted of being a glorified grunt. I never gave any thought to joining the Legion while I was young (actually wasn’t all that aware of the Legion back then). I want to one day visit a Legion post on Camarón day as I visit Europe regularly. I still try to maintain myself physically by walking and doing military exercises daily.

My respect to current and past Legionnaires and those who’ve tried. Hope that is enough of an introduction.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello ArtyFO and welcome to the forum. Please feel free to recount any experiences that you've had during your military service.
As for Camerone, any regiment will do, however the most impressive is 1RE in Aubagne.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
ArtyFO,

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the banter and bullshit. The men in Green are all former members of the FFL. It is an interesting and informal forum.:)

We look forward to your dits. Congratulations on your service and respect.

I also served in the days of Noah's Ark.:unsure:

Chas RM = Real Marine. ;) Semper Fidelis/Per Mare per Terram.(y)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Welcome and Semper Fidelis. You will be able to provide valuable input on being a Marine and Military life/experience

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks Joseph, Chas and USMCRET for the warm welcome: I will try to temper my pride in the USMC with my desire to learn more about the Legion and try to keep my topics on Legion related info. Tho, a little more about my service: nothing exceptional compared with other men. Left home when I was 17 looking to get out from under my parents' roof and find some adventure and fulfill my dream of wearing the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Nothing was going to stop me, and honestly, there was nothing for me back home except a low level job. My grades stunk, I had a bad attitude, I wanted action, and I wanted as much booze as I could pour down my throat. Maybe a similar reason men join the Legion? I found adventure, travel and of course booze. As much as I wanted. I was fortunate to have a great job calling in artillery, I did two jungle survival courses (Philippines and Panama) and did the Naval Gunfire Spotter Courses (basic and later advanced) at Coronado, which is incidentally where the Navy SEALs train. Alas, I was just an average Marine. I didn't excel at anything in particular, and didn't fail at any challenges. I got into a bit of trouble with drinking, but that is par for the course and almost like a rite of passage. I didn't particularly care for bullets being fired in my direction, which incidentally some of the guys loved. If it weren't for that, I might have stayed. In retrospect, I should have at least stayed another 4 as I needed a bit more maturity. But it all worked out. I am happy and productive in my chose profession and overall life is good in spite of hurdles I have leaped over in the past. Thanks for indulging me and allowing me to share more about my past. As I have mentioned, I have been lurking around the forum. I like the guys here - very direct and somehow, feel as though I know them in some weird way. Maybe soldierly solidarity? Anyhow, all the best, cheers and Semper Fidelis.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good to see another ex Gunner on here. Gunners do it with a bang ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
the best Battery in The Royal regiment of Artillery...

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
no i´m a scot who lives in Germany. Served in the 80s & 90s. Royal Artillery & later Royal Signals.
Something you wrote in the past made me think you were German or living there. I go visit there somewhat regularly ... to NRW.