a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good news for RM Cdos.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
At long last our inexperienced Defence Secretary has seen sense. We are now retaining our 2 amphibious ships HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark.

Also next year we are going back to the Kola peninsular (Norway) as the UKs' most experienced MAW troops. 800 Cdos will be there on the old routine of observing the Russian Bear.

Finally the RM Cdos are 350 short manpower wise. 99% need not apply and standards will not drop. Only 7 in 100 make it through training in their original squad after PRMC.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
At long last our inexperienced Defence Secretary has seen sense. We are now retaining our 2 amphibious ships HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark.

Also next year we are going back to the Kola peninsular (Norway) as the UKs' most experienced MAW troops. 800 Cdos will be there on the old routine of observing the Russian Bear.

Finally the RM Cdos are 350 short manpower wise. 99% need not apply and standards will not drop. Only 7 in 100 make it through training in their original squad after PRMC.
7 in 100? Sorry can't believe that. Not by today's Standards. Not talking SBS here chas or SAS. I did hear that the powers to be did think a while back of joining them with the Paras.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
7 in 100? Sorry can't believe that. Not by today's Standards. Not talking SBS here chas or SAS. I did hear that the powers to be did think a while back of joining them with the Paras.

Recent report from Hed Shed. Pass PRMC then you can attempt to undertake training. Apart from those who are SNLR (Service no longer required) recruits are back squadded for various reasons , or go to Hunter Troop the remedial and medical for those injured during training. Some have been in remedial for over 12 months.

Now the point made is that the halt lame and injured will eventually pass out. But of an original Troop only seven will make it all the way with their original Troop.

Paras 2000 excluding supporting Arms. Royal 7000 approx. Many Royals are para qualified and Cdos regard it as an Adqual. (Additional qualification.) No way will they combine. Each ethos is different.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Recent report from Hed Shed. Pass PRMC then you can attempt to undertake training. Apart from those who are SNLR (Service no longer required) recruits are back squadded for various reasons , or go to Hunter Troop the remedial and medical for those injured during training. Some have been in remedial for over 12 months.

Now the point made is that the halt lame and injured will eventually pass out. But of an original Troop only seven will make it all the way with their original Troop.

Paras 2000 excluding supporting Arms. Royal 7000 approx. Many Royals are para qualified and Cdos regard it as an Adqual. (Additional qualification.) No way will they combine. Each ethos is different.
Ok Buddy.. But a lot of people think airborne troops are outdated. I eaven heard rumours of Paras not doing Jumps after Training to save money. Not sure if true. The US paved the way in Vietnam with helicopters. In & out fast. I think the Guards still have a company para trained. A lot of wild rumours about the future of the Paras.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I know I wasn't invited into this conversation, ;)however, I was thinking the other day about the REP doing another combat jump in Mali. The times of paras making it on the ground, fit to fight is not yet over. For the French at least.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I know I wasn't invited into this conversation, ;)however, I was thinking the other day about the REP doing another combat jump in Mali. The times of paras making it on the ground, fit to fight is not yet over. For the French at least.
Oh ..yeah still have their use i'm sure such as Halo trained guys.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
maybe you've seen this... Props to the guy for keeping cool :oops:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
No, that's the first time I've seen that particular one. They have obviously attached another parachute on before 'cutting him loose'. The Brits have a different system to the French. In the Brits it's the buddy buddy system, where you check each other.
With the French you have a jump master or someone who has been specially trained (60611) to inspect you once you are kitten up and also once you are hooked up.
With the French he should have put his hands on his helmet to show that he is conscious and also to make sure that he is not going to pull his reserve, which could cause the plane to crash. Whatever happens there is no way that they can land trailing someone under the plane:eek:. I mean we'd be talking about a major mess of the para and the runway.

So the person is conscious and is not going to try and pull his reserve. He is then physically or with the aid of a winch pulled back in. He is then given the choice ; try again or land with the plane. I know a German to whom this happened he opted to jump. I'd be cowering under the pilots seat if it was me.

The person is conscious and makes a grab for his reserve, his static line is immediately cut.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
No, that's the first time I've seen that particular one. They have obviously attached another parachute on before 'cutting him loose'. The Brits have a different system to the French. In the Brits it's the buddy buddy system, where you check each other.
With the French you have a jump master or someone who has been specially trained (60611) to inspect you once you are kitten up and also once you are hooked up.
With the French he should have put his hands on his helmet to show that he is conscious and also to make sure that he is not going to pull his reserve, which could cause the plane to crash. Whatever happens there is no way that they can land trailing someone under the plane:eek:. I mean we'd be talking about a major mess of the para and the runway.

So the person is conscious and is not going to try and pull his reserve. He is then physically or with the aid of a winch pulled back in. He is then given the choice ; try again or land with the plane. I know a German to whom this happened he opted to jump. I'd be cowering under the pilots seat if it was me.

The person is conscious and makes a grab for his reserve, his static line is immediately cut.
well i think i would rather do the shoot & scoot with a Helicopter :D

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Geez...don't think this poor guy made it. How come 3 guys still jumped when the guy was hanging?

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
In this scrubs opinion;), the days of mass parachute drops are over, thousands of troops doing static line is a thing of the past. However a parachute drop is very effective and confusing enemy. I feel that paras are going to shift more towards a commando type vibe instead of airborne infantry, the French have had 2 very successful para drops in the past 5-6 years and both times it wasnt more than 300 men.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In this scrubs opinion;), the days of mass parachute drops are over, thousands of troops doing static line is a thing of the past. However a parachute drop is very effective and confusing enemy. I feel that paras are going to shift more towards a commando type vibe instead of airborne infantry, the French have had 2 very successful para drops in the past 5-6 years and both times it wasnt more than 300 men.
yeah the Legion seem to hold it's REP in high esteem. They will always get volunteers. Takes balls to jump out a plane.