a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I've just finished university in the UK and preparing to go Aubagne. The only thing i fear that could hinder my chances of joining are my student debts. The UK is very leniant, and in theory I can pay them when i start serving or after.
I wanted to know if anyone has any helpful advice, regarding how one should go about this during the interview at preselection?

Thank you for you time lads

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Dont say you have student debt and just forget about it until a later date? I wouldnt be paying debt here in the uk if i was in the legion. Entirely upto u but if you get in you can phone and set up payments every month the same as any other job.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
yeah...i wouldn't say anything. Maybe after your time in the Legion the debt is gone? If you disappear what are they going to do? Maybe write it off after a period of time.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I've just finished university in the UK and preparing to go Aubagne. The only thing i fear that could hinder my chances of joining are my student debts. The UK is very leniant, and in theory I can pay them when i start serving or after.
I wanted to know if anyone has any helpful advice, regarding how one should go about this during the interview at preselection?

if you were in Uni, why not go for a Commission in the British Army? Not that the Legion is a bad choice..just curious.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Im not a British citizen, came from another country to study. I went to university for 4 years and I am 22. Thought it would be hard to explain to them what I did for 4 years if I dont say I studied.
Any help?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Im not a British citizen, came from another country to study. I went to university for 4 years and I am 22. Thought it would be hard to explain to them what I did for 4 years if I dont say I studied.
Any help?
need to ask Joseph about the legion.. can´t hurt to tell the legion you´re educated.. but maybe joe can pipe in here? I mean i´m sure they need a balance in there not just desperate guys with lower education to shoot a gun :unsure:

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Just tell them the truth i dont think there going to go mad about personal debt. Its not as if they have to pay it for you because your a legionnaire. You may be over thinking this one a bit bud.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just tell them the truth i dont think there going to go mad about personal debt. Its not as if they have to pay it for you because your a legionnaire. You may be over thinking this one a bit bud.
in one way they might not put it down as a bad debt. it´s education & not through a police or court fine or stupidity.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I hope student debt is not a reason for them to reject me :/ but thanks for the advice anyway!

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I hope student debt is not a reason for them to reject me :/ but thanks for the advice anyway!

Hows your fitness? Motivation?

There is (in sure) people getting into the legion with criminal records mate. Dont think debt will be a problem😂if your really that worried your better trying to settle up and then go to france?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bursantos,

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

The answer is simple do not mention any student debt. Simply say you are interested in the military and unfortunately precluded from serving in the British Armed Forces due to your nationality.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
like the boys say...don´t worry just go. If i was your age & single i would go. even if you only do 5 years. still a young man with education & will be much wiser after the legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Footloose and fancy free after the Corps it was a choice of 3. The FFL, Australian Army or the Colonial Police. :confused:

The day I was thinking of going to France, I received an offer from the Crown Agents.

A day or so later came an offer from Australia House to join an infantry regiment. They had already interviewed me.:)

So I went to Hong Kong and the exotic orient to live in interesting times.:unsure:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Footloose and fancy free after the Corps it was a choice of 3. The FFL, Australian Army or the Colonial Police. :confused:

The day I was thinking of going to France, I received an offer from the Crown Agents.

A day or so later came an offer from Australia House to join an infantry regiment. They had already interviewed me.:)

So I went to Hong Kong and the exotic orient to live in interesting times.:unsure:
A guy i served with went to the Australian Army after the Brit Army. you´ve got to hold the min rank of Sgt to be accepted. so c´mon Chas spill the beans on the chinese chicks....

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert or as I prefer Sexpet the Vietnam war was ongoing. The Yanks had a Coast Guard ship on permanent standby in the harbour. Hong Kong if spoken in Cantonese means 'fragrant harbour' and fragrant it is not.:)

The bar girls had a roaring trade. Many had Brit Squaddie boy friends who had all night passes. The Yanks- USN who visited had limited shore leave an had to be back on board by a certain time. Most went to Wanchai ( HK Island) as did the USMC. All bar girls were vetted for the clap prior to a big ship coming into port and had to carry a blue card to signify 'clap free'.

The Brit squaddies would get their girl friends to make the Yanks buy them time out and take them to the cinema, a meal or whatever. Then when the Yanks went back on board the squaddies took over for a night of passion. Various Brit regiments were stationed in HK on a regular basis and there were many unmarried men.

US Air Force, Rangers, Airborne and Infantry mainly frequented the Kowloon side which was more sophisticated.

Brit Armed forces had a trick to make sure the Yanks did not get to frisky with their girls. If a Yank was getting too fresh, one of his mates would walk up and discreetly say; 'Watch it chum she has Vietnam Rose.' This was a deadly for of the clap at that time often incurable.

The other trick was to get a friendly Chinese to say; 'She VC' or say She is Viet Cong. Result Yank left immediately and never came back.

I could tell you more but you would have to kill me.;)

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hows your fitness? Motivation?
What Guido says is the real question. Another question which will be asked is why you don't become an officer in your own country -no need to explain here, just a heads up. As for reimbursing the debt; Once you are in and have the possibility to 'communicate' with the outside, then contact them and make arrangements to pay it off over five years. The legion would prefer that you didn't tell them about the debt. However if asked then just say that you intend on contacting them etc ...

You will have a great opportunity to do other things after your 5, no point in looking over your shoulder each time and wondering if the debt is going to catch you up and slow you down.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert or as I prefer Sexpet the Vietnam war was ongoing. The Yanks had a Coast Guard ship on permanent standby in the harbour. Hong Kong if spoken in Cantonese means 'fragrant harbour' and fragrant it is not.:)

The bar girls had a roaring trade. Many had Brit Squaddie boy friends who had all night passes. The Yanks- USN who visited had limited shore leave an had to be back on board by a certain time. Most went to Wanchai ( HK Island) as did the USMC. All bar girls were vetted for the clap prior to a big ship coming into port and had to carry a blue card to signify 'clap free'.

The Brit squaddies would get their girl friends to make the Yanks buy them time out and take them to the cinema, a meal or whatever. Then when the Yanks went back on board the squaddies took over for a night of passion. Various Brit regiments were stationed in HK on a regular basis and there were many unmarried men.

US Air Force, Rangers, Airborne and Infantry mainly frequented the Kowloon side which was more sophisticated.

Brit Armed forces had a trick to make sure the Yanks did not get to frisky with their girls. If a Yank was getting too fresh, one of his mates would walk up and discreetly say; 'Watch it chum she has Vietnam Rose.' This was a deadly for of the clap at that time often incurable.

The other trick was to get a friendly Chinese to say; 'She VC' or say She is Viet Cong. Result Yank left immediately and never came back.

I could tell you more but you would have to kill me.;)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

You are unlikely to earn enough in the Legion to have to start repaying your student finance (more than £25,000 PA ) , dont mention it if unless asked would be my answer or it may be seen as too much hassle for them.

Last edited:

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Any help?
Then how did you get student finance ? I`m smelling something here ....

Reaction score
Home Country
Estonia
You are unlikely to earn enough in the Legion to have to start repaying your student finance (more than £25,000 PA ) , dont mention it if unless asked would be my answer or it may be seen as too much hassle for them.

Depends where in UK exactly. In England it should be £9000, in Wales it's £3500.

Status
Not open for further replies.