a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valid passport?

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hi everyone, I hope you can offer some good advice. I am a 'maman de coeur' to a Kenyan former street boy. In 2010 I founded a registered charity for helping street children and that's where I met him. In 2014, I brought him to France even though by then he was 21 years-old. He learnt the language, integrated well, enrolled in French school, made many French friends, finished the education he sadly missed in Kenya and eventually took his Baccalauréat (high school diploma). During his studies, he worked as often as he could so he could contribute to his upkeep. Last year, having finished his studies, he applied at the Préfecture to change his student visa to a working visa. They refused and so we consulted a lawyer who then began a legal procedure with the Préfecture. His student visa expired at the end of December 2017 while he was still waiting for the response from the Préfecture, so technically he was at this stage an 'illegal' but we didn't feel so bad as his lawyer was processing his case. The bombshell came when he was picked up by the local gendarmes for a spot check (he wasn't wearing his gloves while on his scooter). His paperwork showed he was illegal. To cut a long story short, the gendarmes contacted the Préfecture to check on him, his lawyer had ignored a request for further information (way back in June), they immediately put him under house arrest (with me) and have now given him a deportation order. This means his Kenyan passport has been confiscated. It has always been at the back of his mind to join the military - so finally, my question is, can he apply to the Legion without a passport? He has a Kenyan ID, birth certificate and driving licence?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Do you still have your passport ? If so, make a photo copy and enclose his and your full birth day certificat...get his lawyer to counter sign, with a small explication of your son's pot pourri.
The Legion, handles trivial administration problèmes every other day for legionnaires. Can he do 7 pull ups ?

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Do you still haveyour passport ?
If so, make a photo copy and enclose his and your full birth day certificat...get his lawyer to counter sign, with a small explication of your sons pot pourri. ..
The Legion, handles trivial administration problèmes evry other day for Legionnaires
Can he do 7 pull ups ?

Merci bien le petit caporal! He hasn't got his original passport but he has a copy which he'll get his lawyer to certify. As regards the pull ups, gym is his passion, he's fit :) but are they likely to turn him away when he mentions his deportation order?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Tell him to tell them, "Mama Sam is lost in France and I have an arrêté d'expulsion, en cours de validité... If he is fit, as you said. Speaks English, I guess. You said he was integrated, so he speaks French? Whatever, am sure his case will be studied more than once.

Last edited:

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If he gets in to the Legion then good luck to him otherwise he does not belong in France or anywhere else in the EU and should return to Kenya.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Takes time and money .
loads of money. ..5 years, maybe ?
The time it takes. ..where is the lost ?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
21 y old child!?! Or you kidding me?

For those who don't watched video till the end. Please, imagine what would have if older French males start adopting hot looking girls from Africa or mid East ?!? Everyone would play cool about it? :) But when women do that everything is fine and we talking about gender equality?

(...° (he wasn't wearing his gloves while on his scooter). (...)
Please, How could I believe to this? :) Madame maybe best idea would be that you and your 'gamin de coeur' go together to Kenya.

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Ha ha! It does sound like a joke doesn't it - not wearing gloves on a scooter - but the gendarmes confirmed that is the law now. Thank you for sharing the video. This area of France has a big share of unaccompanied 'minors' many, as you say, well over the age of 18. My 'gamin de coeur' - love that phrase - has never lied about his age, he just wanted a chance to finish his education and be able to work for a living and contribute something to a country that recognizes equality, liberty and fraternity.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
OK mom. So what you actually want? To send "your boy" to Legion? Legion isn't happy with accepting married men, but man with a 'maman de coeur', never heard anything against that. Do you know that your boy would be there for 5 years?

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
21 y old child!?! Or you kidding me? (...)
Met him in 2010, he would have been 17 then, as he was 21 in 2014. Do the math!

OK mom. So what you actually want? To send "your boy" to Legion? Legion isn't happy with accepting married men, but man with a 'maman de coeur', never heard anything against that. Do you know that your boy would be there for 5 years?
Mon ami, we can wonder what this person thinks about the Legion all we want, but at the end of the day, it's his decision to try to join.

----------

He is tri-lingual, one of those languages is French (he will likely wear his green beret during language training, I imagine!) and would be able to help the Legion translate for other recruits from Kenya. He is in very good shape. Tell him to explain to the Legion what happened, and it's his only way to become a French citizen
It's his only REAL timely option. There is nothing wrong with serving in the military. Legion needs well educated people too

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Ha ha! It does sound like a joke doesn't it - not wearing gloves on a scooter - but the gendarmes confirmed that is the law now. Thank you for sharing the video. This area of France has a big share of unaccompanied 'minors' many, as you say, well over the age of 18. My 'gamin de coeur' - love that phrase - has never lied about his age, he just wanted a chance to finish his education and be able to work for a living and contribute something to a country that recognizes equality, liberty and fraternity.
I like the cool headedness in which you answered this. I don’t get why for some it’s necessary to answer questions they have no knowledge/experience in, than go further and derogate the OP. The hostility (in my opinion) is unnecessary, if you aren’t a legionnaire / don't have reliable knowledge or aren’t an immigration officer, then move on man, let the lady ask the question for her relative in peace ffs.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I like the cool headedness in which you answered this. I don’t get why for some it’s necessary to answer questions they have no knowledge/experience in, than go further and derogate the OP. The hostility (in my opinion) is unnecessary, if you aren’t a legionnaire / don't have reliable knowledge or aren’t an immigration officer, then move on man, let the lady ask the question for her relative in peace ffs.

002.gif

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I just don't like when people BS-ing me. You guys could believe what you want I'm not buying shit that someone adopting 17 year old just to be his 'maman de coeur' . Let alone 21 y old. If that is his real age.

If madame was honest with as I wouldn't have nothing against to give her info and help her with her boyfriend. But this way, no way!

But you guys are free to do whatever you want. I'm done with this thread.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
There are enough illegal Africans in Europe, we don´t need more but the Legion has always been a refuge for men who needed help. In this case staying in France & a French pass i think. I am honest in saying i am not a fan of migrants in Europe but if they take him... make him sweat for his French pass. Hard as possible.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Lost in France, to get back to your original question, this is what the Legion asks for :
  • ID Card or a Passport for recruits from the European Union (EU)
  • PASSPORT for recruits from all over the world
http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

Some sound advice from Le Petit Caporal who has had more than his fair share of dealing with French authorities as a foreigner. The law stipulates that as your fils de coeur or however you would like to describe him, was on a student visa, which he has now completed. He is no longer legally allowed to stay in France. If he should attempt to join the legion, I'd advice against him claiming to have been stopped for not wearing gloves. I've spent a lot of time in France and follow les infos France 2 20h every day. No way. He will now be down on police records as being an illegal alien.

If as you say;
Then he should take his chances as soon as possible otherwise you might find yourself in trouble also for knowingly accommodating an illegal alien.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I very much doubt anyone would manage 5 years if they were joining just to get an EU passport, they need a real desire to be a soldier. It's also worth noting that, as it's been mentioned, you don't automatically get a French passport after 5 years, it has to be earned by exemplary behaviour.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I very much doubt anyone would manage 5 years if they were joining just to get an EU passport , they need a real desire to be a Soldier , its also worth noting thats its been mentioned that you dont automatically get a French passport after 5 years , it has to be earned by exemplary behaviour.
Yes, hence my comment, make him sweat if he gets in... Should only take good men who want to be soldiers not just anyone. I met guys from Fiji & Gurkhas when I served, good loyal men & good soldiers. I doubt if this guy is really wanting to be a soldier... He's desperate. "Mag to Grid... Get rid.

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Guys, thank you for your responses - some comments, fortunately, more positive than others. I have family who have served in the military and I have nothing but respect for those who take this route. While I know very little about the Legion, from what I read, it sounds like one of the toughest arenas, both in terms of combat and survival (and I'm talking here about physical and emotional survival). It also seems like there is a lot of close camaraderie built from very difficult and sometimes exceptional circumstances. Even if my 'boy' passed the initial entrance, who knows if he would last the course? The only certain thing I am sure of is that those assessing him will have seen it all before and are the best ones to recognise time wasters, mummies boys but equally to recognise and pull out those who have the ability, resilience, strength of character and motivation to succeed. I don't think I have anything left to comment, as someone has already said, it will be his decision whether or not to try and join.