a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Serious

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have spent the last 2 years having mixed feelings about the Legion. There was always some girl, some band, or some other job opportunity that kept me distracted. If I had gone, I would have been wasting their time and mine, so I didn't bother, and every time a new distraction came up, my fitness and French learning would suffer greatly because the Legion got pushed to the back of my head

In light of recent events, which I have already discussed several weeks ago, I decided to really get down to the grind in my preparation. My mind is in the right place now, so I re opened my gym membership. I go to the gym for almost 2 hours every single day, and spend about an hour or more learning French.

I wanted to put my workout routine in here for anybody else who might be suffering from motivation, or feeling like they won't be able to get strong enough to make it through selection. Lots of us I'm sure have average fitness and the best reason in the world to be in the legion, but for those of us who don't have some life threatening reason to be there, I think we owe it to ourselves to be at the absolute top of the food chain when it comes to Luc Leger and the other fitness requirements

Starting with diet, I have completely cut out bread. No bread, ever, at all. It slows your metabolism, so I just don't eat it. My target weight is 150 lbs (I am 170 right now with a small beer belly)

I have almost entirely cut out sugar. If I need a caffeine, I drink an absolute zero monster, and that's for emergencies (sometimes I get only an hour of sleep between work, gym and helping my friend train their puppy). Keep fruit to a minimum, I only eat apples, bananas occassionally (1 of them every few days) and berries like blue berries because they provide tons of nutrients to keep you from getting sick

I limit starchy foods. I have had 1 baked potato with no butter in the past several weeks, whereas I used to eat potatos like every day

For protein: I have 6 small meals a day, with 25 grams of protein in each meal. Currently, I use protein powder, because it's quick and easy and I barely know how to cook.

1) 3 scrambled eggs, 1/4 shredded cheese
2) protein shake (1 scoop, almond milk, sometimes a banana for potassium)
3) Chicken breast, pan fried (no butter, very light seasoning, no breading)
4) protein shake (1 scoop, almost milk, NO banana)
5) Beans and ground beef or turkey (about 1 bowl worth)

For a small snack in the middle of the day (BEFORE the gym, not after) I eat about a handful or 2 of peanuts. It's a little extra protein, but if you are a heavy body type guy, go easy on nuts, because they have lots of oil and can make you fat

For the gym, I alternate between 2 groups of muscles. I go every single day. The consistent thing is cardio, and core, which I do every single day, no matter what. I also do push ups in the evenings, after the gym. At least 100 every day

These sets work on a rotating schedule. Set 1, followed by Set 2, followed by Set 1, etc etc

Set 1:

Core (also I do this on Set 2)
- 45 seconds plank (15 seconds rest)
- 25 seconds side plank (both sides, then rest)
- 1 minute of leg lifts (Legs remain elevated 6" or more, alternate between direct upward lift, and making a circle with both legs together, around to the left, and around to the right, then rest 30 seconds to catch my breath)
- 45 seconds of flutter kicks (15 seconds rest)
- 30 seconds horizontal flutter kicks (Sometimes called "Hello Dollies")
- Plank until failure (rest for several minutes)
- Knee tucks until failure on the dip machine

Then, after core, and every day, I do 1 max set of very slow pull ups. Going as slow as possible both upward and downward, I can do 4 good ones with my chin going far above the bar. Without going slow my current max is about 12 to 15, depending on how winded I am from the previous day

On Set 1 I hit back, biceps, shoulders, and obliques

Biceps:
- Pick a comfortable low weight (I use 20 lb dumbells, sorry for those who use Kg, you'll have to figure this out on your own), and sit on an adjustable bench. Leaning backward with my elbows BEHIND my torso, I do a set of 6 to 8 curls, rest a few moments, then switch to leaning forward (elbows IN FRONT of my torso). I do the same number of reps there

NOTE: To achieve maximum effect from dumb bell curls, I hold the dumbell handles all the way up against the edge of the weight, with the excess length on my torso side. This forces me to put more effort into holding them straight, and it works the inner part of the bicep very hard

Then, I do a set of hammer curls with a reduced weight (15 lb bells for me)***

***Hammer curls are done from standing position, lifting the bell sideways towards your opposite shoulder

I do this group of bicep lifts for 2 or 3 sets, then do a DROP SET

A drop set simply starts at a high weight, goes to failure, then reduces the weight. You continue to do this until failure. I start with a 60 lb bar bell, and work my way down to a 20 lb bar bell. I do this at the end of the work out or sometimes in the middle

Back:
- Grab a slightly heavier bell, lean over a bench and lift with your "wing" (scapula I believe it's called). Also works the bicep, at a different angle. I do 3 very slow sets of 10 with a 30 lb dumbell

- Using a light set of dumbell (10 lbs for me) I lean over on a bench and do "flies". I got to failure for 3 sets. This works the upper back and the rear of the shoulder

Shoulders:
- Standing up, I use 10 lb dumbells to do shoulder raises. Can also use a bar bell if you want but I find dumb bells more effective

- Arm circles. Go to failure, until it burns like hell

- Shrug with a heavy set of dumb bells (I use 40 lbs or more). I do 3 sets of 10 to 15

I finish by running a mile on the treadmill at high speed. For me, this is about 8 miles per hour from start to finish

----------------------------

Set 2:

All the core and the pull ups from Set 1

Triceps:
- I use machines for this. I don't remember what they're called, but I will come back and put them here when I find out. Triceps are tricky, you have to hit all 3 heads, so I don't like free weights for them. Mostly I do a LOT of push ups throughout the day, and those push ups will add up quickly. My max (to failure) set was 20 a few weeks ago. Now I can do 30. I want to be able to do 75 to 100 before I leave. So just do them every day

- Dips. Lots and lots of dips, in several positions (use the dip machine, and a bench to switch the angle and hit several heads)

Legs:
All body weight for these. I do squats and lunges, and calf raises. Do several sets to failure

I finish by jogging (about 5 miles per hour) for several miles

I plan to implement Luc Leger. I am going to look for an app on my phone to give me the beeps in my ear phones and I'll do it in the park behind where I'm staying

HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE STRUGGLING TO EXERCISE EVERY DAY. YOU GOTTA DO IT

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Distractions become addictions and evry addiction is costly
Stuff your Gym membership and buy your self a decent pair of running gutties (shoes) and pound the tarmac
No point doing this if you are still smoking
Slim down and stop eating crap foods, made in USA
Continue at least once a day. ..10 pull ups
Go when you think you are ready and not before. ..check here before you do and give us/me an update on your physique

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Distractions become addictions and evry addiction is costly
Stuff your Gym membership and buy your self a decent pair of running gutties (shoes) and pound the tarmac
No point doing this if you are still smoking
Slim down and stop eating crap foods, made in USA
Continue at least once a day. ..10 pull ups
Go when you think you are ready and not before. ..check here before you do and give us/me an update on your physique

Junk food is out of my diet completely, but smoking is a real problem for me. I will run more on real ground and ditch the tread mill. Going to keep the gym membership for strength training

Tomorrow I'll do a max set of pull ups and let you know where I'm at

Thinking i'll be ready in less than a year. That is plenty of time to get fit and quit the smoking

My real goal is to be able to tell the Gestapo my reason for being there, completely in French. I want to be near fluent

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I will send you and Joe a message before I leave. I think I heard that going before the holidays is good because it shows dedication. It will be close to this time next year

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Any time is a good time
Learn french
Cut the smoking now
In a years time
You will join my appreciating club
How much you weight btw and in metric?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
At least a week before going, cut out the shakes and have typical legion breakfast and ordinary food. Don't forget that that is how you be eating from then on.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Any time is a good time
Learn french
Cut the smoking now
In a years time
How much you weight btw and in metric?

I'm 79.3 Kg, 1.8 meters tall

I'm sitting at my computer now, violently fighting the urge to go buy another pack. I will win

Any time is a good time

What's that? haha

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
1m 80 for 78.5 kg. ..is lanky, imo!
Drink beer ? Have a gut ?
Pull ups are hard, huh?
You have any narcotic habits. ..if so,say so ?
Why the sudden burst of flame, if not?
Belive me, Gestapo is miles shewder than my savy...
Age ?
Kids?
Girl freind ?
Ever done a rober/heist
Voted Trump ?

If so, why so?

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
1m 80 for 78.5 kg. ..is lanky, imo!
Drink beer ? Have a gut ?
Pull ups are hard, huh?
You have any narcotic habits. ..if so,say so ?
Why the sudden burst of flame, if not?
Belive me, Gestapo is miles shewder than my savy...
Age ?
Kids?
Girl freind ?
Ever done a rober/heist
Voted Trump ?

If so, why so?

I've always been lanky. I have "ektomorph" body type. I've always been small, but I'm strong and I can move my own weight
I quit beer 2 weeks ago. Gut isn't huge, unnoticable while I'm wearing a shirt. Not trying to slim down, trying to build muscle and get rid of un needed fat

Pull ups aren't hard. I used to do 20, I am getting back there

No narcotics. Never used any

Burst of flame? You mean interest in the legion? I'm tired of working myself to death and processing for waiver to reenlist here. It isn't going to happen. I want to be a soldier, I've always wanted to be a soldier. I made the mistake of enlisting unprepared in 2011 and it landed me civil

Age 26. I'll be 27 when I leave for France
No children
No girlfriend, no wife
Never robbed anyone or any store

Didn't vote. America's politics are a lose and lose situation, I wasn't going to waste my time on Hillary or Donald

EDIT: What's the appreciation club, Caporal?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hitting all the muscle heads..oh man. A simple full Body Workout or abbreviated Programmes is all you need.
day 1
Squats
Bench press
Pull UPS

Day2
Seated shoulder press
Deadlifts
Parallel bar dips

Alternative these two short routines with 2 days Rest between Workouts, not everyday. Tell me what is not trained with these Workouts. Forget this 3 heads for my Triceps, you ain't a Pro Bodybuilder. Shoulder press, dips, Bench press will train everything. Joe is correct don't waste Money on Shakes eat wholesome food.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
I agree with Joseph. Your diet is very disciplined, and when you switch to the diet in training (From what Joseph has described) might cause a shock to the system. From what I understand, any applicant will be on a restricted (Calorie deficient) diet. I cant lie, I'm working on my fitness too, but confused as to what kind of diet to follow. Any pointers?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Start with a list of the things you shouldnt be eating and drinking
Then a list of things you may eat and drink
Also, a list of physical exercices / activities that you should and need to be doing and the things you shouldnt be doing
Will develop later

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I agree with Joseph. Your diet is very disciplined, and when you switch to the diet in training (From what Joseph has described) might cause a shock to the system. From what I understand, any applicant will be on a restricted (Calorie deficient) diet. I cant lie, I'm working on my fitness too, but confused as to what kind of diet to follow. Any pointers?
I wouldn't describe the food as calorie deficient. The menu is presented to the head doctor every week who has to sign off on it. However if you come from a country where the main ingredients is potatoes or pasta or rice, you may feel wanting. The good old brekkie of bacon and eggs, couple of slices of toast, perhaps some hash browns ;). You had better get used to not having these kinds of meals. Where I live, they must eat about five times a day. I'm not kidding you, Saturday we went to the next big town and to the shopping mall. You have got stall upon stall of people selling more or less the same product. On the top floor is IT, telephones and I pads. It's not unusual to see the seller sitting on the floor eating.

In Aubagne you will be lucky to get a casse-croute, or snack during the morning. All these energy supplements and protein shakes are all well and fine when you get to your regiment, in the mean time at Aubagne and during instruction, it's back to basics. I would definitely advice anyone who is going to join, to stop with the supplements and have a typical legion breakfast at least a week before going

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't describe the food as calorie deficient. The menu is presented to the head doctor every week who has to sign off on it. However if you come from a country where the main ingredients is potatoes or pasta or rice, you may feel wanting. The good old brekkie of bacon and eggs, couple of slices of toast, perhaps some hash browns ;). You had better get used to not having these kinds of meals. Where I live, they must eat about five times a day. I'm not kidding you, Saturday we went to the next big town and to the shopping mall. You have got stall upon stall of people selling more or less the same product. On the top floor is IT, telephones and I pads. It's not unusual to see the seller sitting on the floor eating.

In Aubagne you will be lucky to get a casse-croute, or snack during the morning. All these energy supplements and protein shakes are all well and fine when you get to your regiment, in the mean time at Aubagne and during instruction, it's back to basics. I would definitely advice anyone who is going to join, to stop with the supplements and have a typical legion breakfast at least a week before going
This guy has done some great Videos on Protein Drinks, carbs ..etc. Explains it simple..

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert,

When you served there were no videos on protein drinks, carbs etc. PTIs' got you fit and that was it.
Are all of these prolonging your sex life or is it a youth culture that rocks your boat ?;)

Fixations can be dangerous.(n)

Any way I don't have to worry since I am an aged Adonis and grannies flock to me.:unsure: If only !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert,

When you served there were no videos on protein drinks, carbs etc. PTIs' got you fit and that was it.
Are all of these prolonging your sex life or is it a youth culture that rocks your boat ?;)

Fixations can be dangerous.(n)

Any way I don't have to worry since I am an aged Adonis and grannies flock to me.:unsure: If only !
I don't touch Protein Drinks. You get enough Protein in good wholesome food. Extra Protein is just passed out on the toilet. Waste of Money. They can be used if you skip a meal but will never replace Solid food. I can drink them free in the gym but I don't. I make Drinks at home such as Banana & milk.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I don't touch Protein Drinks. You get enough Protein in good wholesome food. Extra Protein is just passed out on the toilet. Waste of Money. They can be used if you skip a meal but will never replace Solid food. I can drink them free in the gym but I don't. I make Drinks at home such as Banana & milk.
Agree with you. But ... I tried some protein shakes which taste so, so good. Simply ... perfection. Only that alone is reason good enough to drink it time to time. (If they taste so good as those I'm thinking about)