a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opération “Barkhane”

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Avoid telling what you think doesn't mean you are an idiot. .
Discrétion is the word
Play your hand close

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm aiming to be professional. My personal beliefs, political views or emotions wouldn't affect me eventual career. I would say maybe aiming to become mercenary, but many guys here hate that expression. ;)

Also I'm not hating NATO or US. Criticizing obviously wrong moves doesn't mean I can't stand NATO. Just don't like your black & white point of view. Where US is ultimate good and always doing right things and everyone opposing it in any why is evil. and bad.

It is good that you look at it as being a professional, being a professional is what is all about; however, as professional as you may get, the FFL will always be a NATO Organization.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It is good that you look at it as being a professional, being a professional is what is all about; however, as professional as you may get, the FFL will always be a NATO Organization.
Hmm. It wasn't always NATO and most likely it would outlived NATO. But you are right that during my eventual time there FFL would be in NATO.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. It wasn't always NATO and most likely it would outlived NATO. But you are right that during my eventual time there FFL would be in NATO.

Dusaboss,

Good to see you more confident and getting your act together. Well done indeed.;):)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusaboss,

Good to see you more confident and getting your act together. Well done indeed.;):)
I'm not confident Chas, but thank you. I would be when I lose 7 kg and get back in to shape.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

Think positive at all times my friend. Remember ; "Ne pas Subir."

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
What are the other options?
Pays okay and feeds 3 times a day
Once having served, you can critique as much as you want. ..
I do often

There is nothing wrong with criticism in the profession of arms. It is actually how armed forces learn lessons, any military that can't objectively look at what it is doing or how it could improve is doomed to failure on the battlefield.

I always looked for feedback from my soldiers when I was a commander as it gives me a litmus check of how things are going and what should be sustained and what can be improved. After Action Review is a critical piece of Battle Procedure that is unfortunately often glossed over.

I always appreciated honest NCOs that gave me the unfiltered version.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Damned, that sucks. At this point it is when one really appreciates being a SNCO or NCO. Get your entrenching tools gentlemen!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
There is nothing wrong with criticism in the profession of arms. It is actually how armed forces learn lessons, any military that can't objectively look at what it is doing or how it could improve is doomed to failure on the battlefield.

I always looked for feedback from my soldiers when I was a commander as it gives me a litmus check of how things are going and what should be sustained and what can be improved. After Action Review is a critical piece of Battle Procedure that is unfortunately often glossed over.

I always appreciated honest NCOs that gave me the unfiltered version.
How common are NCOs like you in FFL? Stubbornness is (I think) feature typical for Serbians. Here many NCOs wouldn't accept any advice from those below them. They can even interpret that as attack on their authority. Is there similar NCOs in FFL? There is probably some of them, but or they majority or minority?
This is a behavior usually connected with insecurity and lack of self-confidence of person in question. I would expect that kind of behavior from young fut-fut rather than someone who spent 10-15 y in the Legion.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
How common are NCOs like you in FFL? Stubbornness is (I think) feature typical for Serbians. Here many NCOs wouldn't accept any advice from those below them. They can even interpret that as attack on their authority. Is there similar NCOs in FFL? There is probably some of them, but or they majority or minority?
This is a behavior usually connected with insecurity and lack of self-confidence of person in question. I would expect that kind of behavior from young fut-fut rather than someone who spent 10-15 y in the Legion.
Ahem... Dusa... Canuck is an officer in the Canadian Army :).

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

This is behavior usually connected with insecurity and lack of self-confidence of person in question. I would expect that kind of behavior from young fut-fut rather than someone who spent 10-15 y in legion.

NCOs (Corporals and Sergeants) and SNCO (Staff Sergeants thru Sergeants Majors) are the very backbone of any military. The NCOs are there for small unit leadership, a fire team or a platoon. The SNCOs are there for the companies and battalions. Any force that does not train their NCOs, SNCOs, and Jr Officers to be independent with the authority to make on the spot calls and to speak frankly with their superiors is destined to fail miserably on the battle field. When the bullets are zipping by, the mortars are dropping, and the fog of war is disorienting, the success lies with those NCOs, SNCOs, and Jr. Officers. Training begins at Boot Camp and Officer Candidate School and it steadily progresses through one's career.