a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me get it right, please.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Quick update on this...
1/ Forget travelling to France via the United Kingdom. Even before the Brexit comes into effect, the UK isn't part of the Schengen area, which means a visa to the UK won't give you access to any Schengen country.
2/ More annoying, France has decided to temporarily withdraw from the Schengen agreement, after the terrorist attacks in 2015 and 2016. So even travelling via Germany (or any other Schengen country) may not be an option. Check this with the German (and/or French) consulate(s) before spending any money on a Schengen visa.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
"Out of "Africa"... 💰
Europeans always have wanted to go/travel or live in Africa and vice versa. Kenyans are excellent runners. The Legion would sign on someone who is an excellent runner, I mean not just ‘cross country’... How old is this dude by the way?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(...) Kenyans are excellent runners. The Legion would sign on someone who is an excellent runner, I mean not just ‘cross country’... (...)
What would their upper strength be as Marathon runners? What would be their IQ & education (OK, pass the Legion tests, but later)? I remember a guy who I was a great friend of from Fiji, fit and a very loyal man but when we learned the Reebro, where you had to engineer a relay Radio link, he was like stunned. Having said that he passed P company & was 5 Airborne. A good boxer too. Drunk Bacardi like water ate pizza (2 after a night on the piss) but was fit & muscular. We got jailed together... haha
Even the Scottish regiments have Fijian guys... Very fit solid soldiers. I also worked with Gurkhas who smiled at you but were very dangerous guys... lol.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Half of the caporaux-chefs couldn't strip and put together a 12.7 (.50 machine gun). Same for the ‘équipe sportive’, majority of whom are from Africain states. Half of the Officers couldn't strip and put together a 12.7 either. Why? Nobody is asking them to do it. Each to his own, I suppose !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Half of the caporaux-chefs couldn't strip and put together a 12.7 (.50 machine gun). Same for the ‘équipe sportive’, majority of whom are from Africain states. Half of the Officers couldn't strip and put together a 12.7 either. Why? Nobody is asking them to do it. Each to his own, I suppose !
LOL...

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
One in particular, an Indian. Worked in the Foyer's bazar, but would get detached for a tournante, couldn't do it. Knew a couple of PMs, too who couldn't. Also when i was in SRCM we were only a few caporaux and the rest were caporaux-chefs, your buddy Payet included.
Once every so often we would go with SRCM + SADDA down to Toulon for anti- aircraft shooting sessions. A plane would trail a target and we would fire upon. After each session, weapons cleaning. I even have photos of me showing the way.
Post Shitum : must get a new phone to up load. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The point is only a few will reach Brigadier Chef in the Cavalry. The elite Tank would be mine. :ROFLMAO:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
One in particular, an Indian. Worked in the Foyer's bazar, but would get detached for a tournante, couldn't do it. Knew a couple of PMs, too who couldn't. Also when i was in SRCM we were only a few caporaux and the rest were caporaux-chefs, your buddy Payet included.
Once every so often we would go with SRCM + SADDA down to Toulon for anti- aircraft shooting sessions. A plane would trail a target and we would fire upon. After each session, weapons cleaning. I even have photos of me showing the way.
Post Shitum : must get a new phone to up load. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true
Which brings back to what I said, CCS. In a combat company, if you are still in one as a caporal-chef, you have got to know the weapons used (collective such as canon 20 mm, MILAN not included.)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Which brings back to what I said, CCS. In a combat company, if you are still in one as a caporal-chef, you have got to know the weapons used (collective such as canon 20 mm, MILAN not included.)
What I find strange about the Legion is that an NCO is Sgt & above. Why not Cpl-Chef? I think you should know all the weapons as a normal guy on the ground never mind as a Cpl-Chef. Having said that we had for example A Charlie G (Carl Gustav) on the Command post & i know some never fired it until an NCO cadre course.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
What I find strange about the Legion is that an NCO is Sgt & above. Why not Cpl-Chef?
It's not only the Legion, it's a general rule in the French Army. Having said that, a caporal-chef with sufficient seniority and qualifications can serve as an ‘acting NCO’ (with the same sort of responsibilities as a Sergeant). A new rank was created several years ago called “Caporal-chef de première classe” that will allow the incumbent to sign a 17½ years contract (enough to get a pension).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Rapace I hope you don't parachuting anymore, do you?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It's not only the Legion, it's a general rule in the French Army. Having said that, a caporal-chef with sufficient seniority and qualifications can serve as an ‘acting NCO’ (with the same sort of responsibilities as a Sergeant). A new rank was created several years ago called “Caporal-chef de première classe” that will allow the incumbent to sign a 17½ years contract (enough to get a pension).
k... Yes we had acting ranks too... Joe should have been a Sgt !

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
A Caporal Chef with a C.T. 1, 00, can act as a Chef de groupe (combat) and wear a Képi Noir
A Caporal Chef with a C.T. 1, any other branch, can wear a Képi Noir
Normal is, all others wear white with gold trim on the beak
White Képi Caporal Chefs are given to them who. .avoided jail and are reasonably well noted

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

I guess the Head Space and Timing and Double cocking was lost on some...

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
We had Marines that were basically trained, proficient to a point; however, their entire life in the Corps was on an "All Marine Team," whether it be Boxing, Olympic Wrestling, or some other sport at that level, All Marine Teams was their life. The All Marine Teams trained all day long and were assigned to the team permanently. My best friend's brother was an All Marine Boxer back in the 70s, Gary was on the All Marine Boxing Team with Michael and Leon Spinks, Olympic Boxers and both Heavy Weight Champions of the World. Leon beat Muhammad Ali, short live Champion of the World, Michael held it a bit longer.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The point is only a few will reach Brigadier Chef in the Cavalry. The elite Tank would be mine. :ROFLMAO:

Your tank would be like the Tank on the film Fury, using it to run Whores through in a battle pause