a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A legionnaire arrested for drug trafficking

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Below an article in French. The legionnaire based in Aubagne was arrested with two former legionnaires. They are accused of belonging to a cocain smuggling ring.

A legionnaire accused of drug trafficking
You would have thought that the 20 Minutes (name of the newspaper) would have at least published a photo of a legionnaire? Also, I can't help but notice the amount of modifications the FAMAS is going through. The amount of money spent on the project: studying and realization seems to be a bit of a waste as the idea is to phase out the FAMAS in favor of the HK.
On a separate note, the soldier's working parts are blocked. If he has got a 'round up the spout' then it's a stoppage for sure.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Is there any more info on this? This link doesn't say almost anything.
They (as newspapers usually do) making story out of nothing. Something telling me that those or not serious drug dealers but small time user-dealer guys. (Eventually one level beyond that)

Whenever you see drug bust and you don't see police man arrested it's usually just small time players.(or someone they pushed down the river)
And I don't mean for one corrupted low ranking street police officer, I think about high ranking inspectors and police official connected with other corrupt policeman. Drug dealing business could not be efficiently done with at least some help from police.

Of course we rarely or never seeing bust on that level which means that our police is absolutely clean and up to the task and playing by the rules. (whatever they mean or interpreted are) :)

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The Newspaper 20 minutes (20 minutes in French o_O) is a free newspaper distributed at bus stops and metro stations. They are designed to been read... on your way to work. They make their money from ads.
Aubagne, like Marseille is full of ethnic minorities. The only reason why the drug ‘bust’ made the newspapers is because there were legionnaire and ex-legionnaires involved. Otherwise it's more or less routine.
Marseille has the 20 mins and the 'metro'. The Romanians collect them and try and sell them to people sitting outside the cafés. :coffee: :giggle:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
You would have thought that the 20 Minutes (name of the newspaper) would have at least published a photo of a legionnaire? Also, I can't help but notice the amount of modifications the FAMAS is going through. The amount of money spent on the project: studying and realization seems to be a bit of a waste as the idea is to phase out the FAMAS in favor of the HK.
On a separate note, the soldier's working parts are blocked. If he has got a 'round up the spout' then it's a stoppage for sure.
Those are older Félin FAMAS's, they've been around since 2011 or so.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Innocent till proven guilty. Benefit of doubt and all that...
20 mins followed up from La Provence
Bet they're Balkans.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Reminds me of an old joke about the Legion;

The Legion is a funny place.
Very little funding is allocated to it.
It performs excellently and efficiently with the little funds they get.
But alas, the Legionnaires get into the most trouble.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Drugs are for losers...I understand some smoke Hash for medical reasons or to relax but all that other stuff like Crack. Terrible.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Back in the day, maybe
Nowadays it's evry thing going on the very large market
Probally due to over boredom on the play stations and over ambitious Légion Genarl's
Sign of the times but nothing new

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Back in the day, maybe
Nowadays it's evry thing going on the very large market
Probally due to over boredom on the play stations and over ambitious Légion Genarl's
Sign of the times but nothing new
Yeah...i don't know much about it now but I saw a film about a British jail, guys Smoking Spice ...off their heads...LOL

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Won't say too much as it's dirty laundry. .
But when i hear dudes citing so and so...boils my pish
Thing is, evry one lnows who has to know (political, magistrat, prefet or army hiérarchie. ..and they sâme condem the meak? = 1 rule for them and a another for the meak
Do we need other proof how incompetent / compleseant the Gestapo are. ..come on, be wise

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Drugs are for losers...I understand some smoke Hash for medical reasons or to relax but all that other stuff like Crack. Terrible.
They can certainly make one. But usually losers are losers with or without drugs, they just boosting effect. :)

As Le petit says times are different, kids these days doing drugs much, much more than in 80s. And yes sliders doing and for sure legionnaires doing. As 666 confirmed , he said that some guys can't wait for weekend to get hit of coke. OK he said in his style :) that everyone are on cocaine and heroin which of course is not true.

What are the reasons of such increase for drug usage? Who knows, there is multiple possible. Overflowed drug market with drugs becoming easily available and cheaper. Back in days teenagers in heads had different concept of drugs than kids today. In 70s, 80s we had only certain groups of young (and old) people widely accepting drugs, today is totally different. One don't have to be hippie to do drugs today.

That's why I'm getting little bit pissed when I hear about 0% tolerance policy in armies (especially FFL). That simply isn't feasible in this day and age. Of course army should not allow to have stoned people with guns running around, but also I don't think that someone should get kicked out just for one positive test on some illegal substance.

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Back in the day, i used to sniff your sister's bloomers!
Post Shitum
Why haven't i recieved feed back since?
It was truffle season, ffs!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
They can certainly make one. But usually losers are losers with or without drugs, they just boosting effect. :)

As Le petit says times are different, kids these days doing drugs much, much more than in 80s. And yes sliders doing and for sure legionnaires doing. As 666 confirmed , he said that some guys can't wait for weekend to get hit of coke. OK he said in his style :) that everyone are on cocaine and heroin which of course is not true.

What are the reasons of such increase for drug usage? Who knows, there is multiple possible. Overflowed drug market with drugs becoming easily available and cheaper. Back in days teenagers in heads had different concept of drugs than kids today. In 70s, 80s we had only certain groups of young (and old) people widely accepting drugs, today is totally different. One don't have to be hippie to do drugs today.

That's why I'm getting little bit pissed when I hear about 0% tolerance policy in armies (especially FFL). That simply isn't feasible in this day and age. Of course army should not allow to have stoned people with guns running around, but also I don't think that someone should get kicked out just for one positive test on some illegal substance.
Well matter of opinion. I would not want any druggies watching my back. As soon as you start being "tolerant" you'll open a Pandoras Box. I started to see druggies in the British Army in the early 90s. Wasters. One drove a 432 AFV into a German car & another was attached to an infantry Battalion in Northern Ireland, they cought him Smoking Dope in the Ops room on Radio Stag at night. No place in the military in my opinion.