a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Spare Time in the legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
Paraguay
Hi Guys, my name is Ivan, im from Paraguay im already planning on get to france and try to join in 2021, what i am really concerned is about how much free time you can really have and i haven't found any clear answer, i know it is a full time job, but im asking this because i would like to know if i will be able to buy a laptop and learn Digital art(3D) i heard that online courses may be possible depending of the unit, but if im able to learn by myself ill be happy.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi Ivan and welcome
Yes, you can buy a lap top in the Legion after Instruction
What you learn from your lap top is your concern
Post Shitum : what are you going to learn as from now and 2021?

Reaction score
Home Country
Paraguay
Hi Ivan and welcome
Yes, you can buy a lap top in the Legion after Instruction
What you learn from your lap top is your concern
Post Shitum : what are you going to learn as from now and 2021?
HI and thank you for the quick response, the next two years i will try to learn everything i can on traditional/digital art but this is not the reason i will wait till 2021, i need to get fit, i need to get enough money (im 19 and still don't have a proper job yet) and get all the papers and documents like passport here in my country take a long time.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
HI and thank you for the quick response, the next two years i will try to learn everything i can on traditional/digital art but this is not the reason i will wait till 2021, i need to get fit, i need to get enough money (im 19 and still don't have a proper job yet) and get all the papers and documents like passport here in my country take a long time.
19 should be fit already. Mind you the Generation now is not so sporty. At 19 you should be fighting fit.. ;nnnnn19 Paul hardcastle. The average age of the fighting soldier in Vietnam was 19.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Having said that.. How often do you Sprint untill you say.. Man that was hard? Things like this are important for your Tests. Pushing it Till you feel Real cardio fatigue. Hiit type Training. Long runs too for your longer Session. The bleep Test is more Hiit orientated short & fast.

Reaction score
Home Country
Paraguay
Having said that.. How often do you Sprint untill you say.. Man that was hard? Things like this are important for your Tests. Pushing it Till you feel Real cardio fatigue. Hiit type Training. Long runs too for your longer Session. The bleep Test is more Hiit orientated short & fast.
I been overweight since puberty, but i have always considered myself an athletic guy with great endurance in my opinión, this year i been just sitting in my ass, so if now i go out and run i will probably not last long, but give me a week of training and i will run marathons. My main problem is food, sometimes im not even hungry but eat a lot just because of my anxiety.

Reaction score
Home Country
Paraguay
I been overweight since puberty, but i have always considered myself an athletic guy with great endurance in my opinión, this year i been just sitting in my ass, so if now i go out and run i will probably not last long, but give me a week of training and i will run marathons. My main problem is food, sometimes im not even hungry but eat a lot just because of my anxiety.
i have never been so overweight tho, i practiced taekwondo some years and got to black belt, so yeah i thing i can be a sporty guy.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil

Man, only you will know if you're in condition to try it or not. That's the army, so you probably need to be ready to work hard, both physically and mentally. You should use your age as an advantage and as always mentioned, get your French sharp

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Ivan and welcome to the forum.
but give me a week of training and i will run marathons
Wow, so what will you be like in two weeks. Not to mention 2 years. Don't kid yourself mate, if you've not done any physical activity for a year, it will take you longer that a week to get back into condition.
As Le Petit Caporal says, avoid salt and sugar. You have two years !!? to get yourself the passport and learn French. I'd get myself a proper job working out doors and then as soon has I had my passport and the airfare, I'd be gone.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt

Wow, so what will you be like in two weeks. Not to mention 2 years. Don't kid yourself mate, if you've not done any physical activity for a year, it will take you longer that a week to get back into condition.
So true, It took me nearly 1 year and 3 months now to drop down 41 Kg, 12 Kg are left to go. However, it seems that an old injury is haunting me and may fake up everything. I have worked so hard to be fit enough for the legion during the last year but what can I say? I'll wait for the Dr on Saturday, until then I doubt I'll be able to sleep. I am so frustrated. That injury ruined my dream once, I don't want it ruining my dream another time. I am trying to stay on high spirits but.....overthinking is killing me. I have been through the same sh$te 6 years ago and the outcome was so bad. This time it's not as a bad but i'll see what the doctor says.
Anyhow, take it from Joe. It is gonna take a lot more than two weeks if you have been inactive for more than a year. And PLEASE, go easy your body. The steadier and slower your progress is the faster you will reach your goal no need to rush anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
Paraguay

As Le Petit Caporal says, avoid salt and sugar. You have two years !!? to get yourself the passport and learn French. I'd get myself a proper job working out doors and then as soon has I had my passport and the airfare, I'd be gone.
Hi Joseph, You missunderstood what i wrote, i said THIS year, not an entire year, and also is not that i will be in perfect shape in a week, but just some days are enough for me to improve my endurance a lot. I never said i would use that time to just get in shape, i want to think about it and i want to get things done here first. Maybe for you is easy, but im from a sh$thole in Southamerica, things are different here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
19 should be fit already. Mind you the Generation now is not so sporty. At 19 you should be fighting fit.. ;nnnnn19 Paul hardcastle. The average age of the fighting soldier in Vietnam was 19.
I was not fit until 21, but now I do better than alot of kids my age even though that doesn't say much. Just got rid of the xbox and my tv a month ago, less excuses to be a lazy turd. Now all I do is run, gym, eat, study, and try to get it in once in awhile.