a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My week in Aubagne 2019 candidate

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't know about you guys, but hearing stuff like this pumps me up, and posts like this are good intel. I don't know about you, but a "return in 6months" is something I'd take. That's another 6 months of prep, learning french, getting more motivated, and all that jazz. It is a blessing man, just say "good" and re engage.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's not an negative feedback. We wish you well and still like you. Just something isn't right in your tone about legion. Maybe it's true that you really got some CCH who is dick and who force you out. But from what I heard from your I don't see any confirmation of that. Then again you can always use "U didn't even tried" argument. ;)

I don't know. If, I go, give my best shot and still get rejected I would probably hate FFL. So I don't judge you.
It is what it is, but it is not an end, bud. 6 month return is way, way, way better than a "do not come back motherfooker.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
6 months to some is easy, to others hard. Lives are fickle and very different things.

It's some time to think things over.

I guess they'll recognise that if I came back after 6 months, I didn't give up and settle for something else.

There was a giant, atleast 6'6+ who was a Repman who spoke with me whilst I was working. Very pleasant guy.

He was still recuperating from a serious injury, but told me it took him two tries in Aubagne to get in.

And never to let unpleasant Legionnaires put you off.

I don't know about you guys, but hearing stuff like this pumps me up, and posts like this are good intel. I don't know about you, but a "return in 6months" is something I'd take. That's another 6 months of prep, learning french, getting more motivated, and all that jazz. It is a blessing man, just say "good" and re engage.
Yes. I want every candidate to be completely prepared for Paradise to Rouge and know exactly what to expect and to go through it the best way possible.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
6 months to some is easy, to others hard. Lives are fickle and very different things.

It's some time to think things over.

I guess they'll recognise that if I came back after 6 months, I didn't give up and settle for something else.

There was a giant, atleast 6'6+ who was a Repman who spoke with me whilst I was working. Very pleasant guy.

He was still recuperating from a serious injury, but told me it took him two tries in Aubagne to get in.

And never to let unpleasant Legionnaires put you off.

Yes. I want every candidate to be completely prepared for Paradise to Rouge and know exactly what to expect and to go through it the best way possible.
People are fickle, change their minds as often as they change trousers. If you want something, you will thirst for it despite circumstances

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys names Lewis I’m new to this forum served 4 years in the British army as a Infantry soldier and planning on going to the legion this month just need to know some things about what to take I have. Military kit lying around here from when I last served can I bring some stuff with me or eg boots, daysack, battlebelt dunno if it would be problem taking them as they are more use their than they are dat at home ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi guys names Lewis I’m new to this forum served 4 years in the British army as a Infantry soldier and planning on going to the legion this month just need to know some things about what to take I have. Military kit lying around here from when I last served can I bring some stuff with me or eg boots, daysack, battlebelt dunno if it would be problem taking them as they are more use their than they are dat at home ?
Welcome. We have. Thread that says "Introductions", so do that there. Second, you won't get to take anything with you except socks, razor, toothbrush, underwear.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Welcome Lewis .

Once you are in regiment after (first 6 months). Someone could send you your stuff. Would you be able to wear it officially ... probably not, but who knows... Maybe someone who currently serve can answer that question, but we are in shortage of active legionars here. Last active on forum and FFL was banned for being a prick to everyone. :)

Items you listed are among those you buying yourself in FFL so... I don't know if you are allowed to buy things only from legion inventory (you can definitely choose what you want from it), or you can buy what you wont.
That other option is probably available if you already serving for some time and depending on regiment and your superiors.

You can take your daysack for sure. It would be given back to you along with other of your stuff once you finish basics.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Lewis .

Once you are in regiment after (first 6 months). Someone could send you your stuff. Would you be able to wear it officially ... probably not, but who knows... Maybe someone who currently serve can answer that question, but we are in shortage of active legionars here. Last active on forum and FFL was banned for being a prick to everyone. :)

Items you listed are among those you buying yourself in FFL so... I don't know if you are allowed to buy things only from legion inventory (you can definitely choose what you want from it), or you can buy what you wont.
That other option is probably available if you already serving for some time and depending on regiment and your superiors.

You can take your daysack for sure. It would be given back to you along with other of your stuff once you finish basics.
I understand the legion isn’t like most armed forces il be taking my daysack anyway to put sh$t in it for the journey their I only ask this because Iv read you can’t return to your own country until you get your real identity back why I thought if I brought the important stuff along with me it would save me the hassle to get them sent to my regiment in the future

I spent a lot off money on all that kit while serving my 4 years in U.K army I don’t really know what regiment to choose cause I don’t know what the regiments are like in the legion I mean my old battalion was pretty good as I made sniper platoon after my first year their luckily Iv heard 2nd rep is meant to be the best apparently but don’t suppose anyone in this forum knows anything about life in a battalion in the legion as it would help me decide I’m the sort off bloke who wants everything courses wise hopefully one day I do have sights on attempting GCP some point if I get in the legion but do you have to be 2nd rep to do that or can any legionaire attemt the course Iv have tried to find info about all this but I haven’t found any I don’t know a lot about legion as I can’t find a lot off modern info now a days

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Welcome Lewis .

In my old unit, you could use some stuff that you purchase. I bought PMags, my own gloves, a battle belt, and army approved boots. Also wore a green shemagh when it was really hot and dusty or really cold. From what I see with the active legionnaires I talk to via a social media channel, you can use some things that are not standard issue, but depends.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In my old unit, you could use some stuff that you purchase. I bought PMags, my own gloves, a battle belt, and army approved boots. Also wore a green shemagh when it was really hot and dusty or really cold. From what I see with the active legionnaires I talk to via a social media channel, you can use some things that are not standard issue, but depends.
I have tried to talk to current serving legionnaires but they don’t say anything or give me any info so they wasn’t no help really

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have tried to talk to current serving legionnaires but they don’t say anything or give me any info so they wasn’t no help really
Assistance depends on two factors: their personality, and how you ask. As I said, being humble, likable, and competent usually draws positive responses. I ask for help, then shut up and listen.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Assistance depends on two factors: their personality, and how you ask. As I said, being humble, likable, and competent usually draws positive responses. I ask for help, then shut up and listen.
Noted 😉anyone know if theirs many brits in the legion or are they mostly Americans and Canadians

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Noted 😉anyone know if theirs many brits in the legion or are they mostly Americans and Canadians
Whilst I was there, most of the reds were slavic, francophones, Latin Americans, and Mongols.

Most of the blues were Latin Americans and Slavics, there were a total of two or three Americans/Anglosphere out of more than 50 of us.

Bring only what you need, read the recommendations, trim and shave and clip yourself before you enter.

In 3 days you should go blue, and bare minimum will be provided from that point onward.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Whilst I was there, most of the reds were slavic, francophones, Latin Americans, and Mongols.

Most of the blues were Latin Americans and Slavics, there were a total of two or three Americans/Anglosphere out of more than 50 of us.

Bring only what you need, read the recommendations, trim and shave and clip yourself before you enter.

In 3 days you should go blue, and bare minimum will be provided from that point onward.
Cheers for that advice fella as I’m English my french is a pile of w@nk atm I’ve tried to learn the basics I know words off french but I couldn’t spring sentence together if they ask is that a problem or do they speak English to u during selection

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Cheers for that advice fella as I’m English my french is a pile of wank atm I’ve tried to learn the basics I know words off french but I couldn’t spring sentence together if they ask is that a problem or do they speak English to u during selection
Gonna be a problem, but not as bad as some others have it. Pray you have a guy who is fluent in French and English, and maybe one more. Usually one of these guys will be made into the group prefect at every formation.

SGT and anything above ADJ usually speak English, but you'll rarely meet them.
CPL and CCH might speak English on a basic level or decent level.

I'd say 1/3 CPL CCH will speak English to a decent level.

Some that barely speak it. They will be heavily accented and might not understand some things.

Some of them only speak French and Spanish/Portuguese/Russian which is why the "Russian mafia" joke is so real.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Gonna be a problem, but not as bad as some others have it. Pray you have a guy who is fluent in French and English, and maybe one more. Usually one of these guys will be made into the group prefect at every formation.

SGT and anything above ADJ usually speak English, but you'll rarely meet them.
CPL and CCH might speak English on a basic level or decent level.

I'd say 1/3 CPL CCH will speak English to a decent level.

Some that barely speak it. They will be heavily accented and might not understand some things.

Some of them only speak French and Spanish/Portuguese/Russian which is why the "Russian mafia" joke is so real.
It’s gunna take me a while to learn french it took me ages to learn German while serving out their but even now that’s not at a top level of fluency 😂😂 tyenonly thing that I can see stopping me is the language fitness is perfect Always been a good runner since I wasn’t young run for days 😂 are they stricked with the french when they teach you

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It’s gunna take me a while to learn french it took me ages to learn German while serving out their but even now that’s not at a top level of fluency 😂😂 tyenonly thing that I can see stopping me is the language fitness is perfect Always been a good runner since I wasn’t young run for days 😂 are they stricked with the french when they teach you
French might come Quick.. Nö der, die, das.. In high school we learned french then after 2years you could learn german