a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Criminal records

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Son did his medical and fitness tests for the army,in Bordeaux last week. .passed all and is now waiting for his marching orders (1 - 3 months)
Really need to quit Nîmes, big time
Waiting for oppertunity to fall
So he's going infantry or engineers?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Still dosent know and hasn't singed any contract as such. ..over a year since he first pushed the recrutement office door. ..that a reason why many get fed up waiting and or found some thing better between time
Actually, he is on a contract for restoring a auld Castle (will do him good) Get's paid more than the others because of his qualifications. .Got his first pay this month and is not so depending on me no more. .bit of a relief but will be better once in the Army. Told him, dont care where or what they give you. Sign that bloody contract. My future depends on you.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Still dosent know and hasn't singed any contract as such. ..over a year since he first pushed the recrutement office door. ..that a reason why many get fed up waiting and or found some thing better between time
Actually, he is on a contract for restoring a auld Castle (will do him good) Get's paid more than the others because of his qualifications. .Got his first pay this month and is not so depending on me no more. .bit of a relief but will be better once in the Army. Told him, dont care where or what they give you. Sign that bloody contract. My future depends on you.
Yeah.. Once he's in he can Transfer if He wants later on.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yeah.. Once he's in he can Transfer if He wants later on.

Yeah, engineers or transport would be idéal
Still think he's going to be given the Infantery (needs of the army and all that)
Hasn't got a criminal record and that's a bloody good thing. The Armée do not like that kind of thing.
Drugs, aggression, robbery/theft
They usually go hand in hand
Legion is full of fuds like that

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, engineers or transport would be idéal
Still think he's going to be given the Infantery (needs of the army and all that)
Hasn't got a criminal record and that's a bloody good thing. The Armée do not like that kind of thing.
Drugs, aggression, robbery/theft
They usually go hand in hand
Legion is full of fuds like that
What about the air force? They do have good trades too.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I considered that for him too.
Also, they have far better equipments and the conditions are far better than the army. .
It came down to the recrutement center where by he lives (lazy fuds)
The Legion does the tour de France now with a special pull out lorry
They are desperatley lacking in Francophones. Brainy and no criminal record is a rarety these day's

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I considered that for him too.
Also, they have far better equipments and the conditions are far better than the army. .
It came down to the recrutement center where by he lives (lazy fuds)
The Legion does the tour de France now with a special pull out lorry
They are desperatley lacking in Francophones. Brainy and no criminal record is a rarety these day's
Yeah that's why most joined the army where i lived. Stirling only had an army recruiting Office.. Most were put into The argylls 😆

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Géographique situations often impose their rule
U.K. being an island with many ports , à sailors paradise (and marines)
Getting a decent tarde from the forces is not just quite like it used to be. ..Legion inclu
Why is it now so important to be able to speak and understand a minimum of French ?
New weaponary and materials with complex technologie, can not be left in the hands of just any one
Speak and understand french = learn faster
It's economic good sense
It has been spelled out by the COMLE, the Legions General
They want their money's worth out of you
Some on here, really do need a reality check
Jeeze, man. ..even the Infantery requires extra proficency skills, that didn't exist in my time
It's called, 'Stage Scorpion', i belive. .
Soon be Camerone and i will find out more and post up

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Géographique situations often impose their rule
U.K. being an island with many ports , à sailors paradise (and marines)
Getting a decent tarde from the forces is not just quite like it used to be. ..Legion inclu
Why is it now so important to be able to speak and understand a minimum of French ?
New weaponary and materials with complex technologie, can not be left in the hands of just any one
Speak and understand french = learn faster
It's economic good sense
It has been spelled out by the COMLE, the Legions General
They want their money's worth out of you
Some on here, really do need a reality check
Jeeze, man. ..even the Infantery requires extra proficency skills, that didn't exist in my time
It's called, 'Stage Scorpion', i belive. .
Soon be Camerone and i will find out more and post up
Yes it's all technical now.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
As for learning French, I knew not one word of French when I joined the legion, but within less than four months in basic training I was already reading my first book in the French language. It was a ‘black book’ as they say in French, and still I remember one expression that puzzled me a bit, so I asked a French speaking friend what it meant. It was ‘va te en fair foutre’. He laughed and asked me if anybody had said that to me.

Nah, don’t worry about knowing French, it will come quickly enough once you are hearing it all the time, but some preparation never hurts anyway.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This is why I wanted to take formal classes for French (currently doing so). I'd want to be able to do my job effectively and to do that you need to know more than "bonjour", "oui/non" and "bierre, s'il vous plait".

Can only imagine a caporal trying to tell a guy who barely knows French about how to dismantle his weapons and clean them properly

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It can only be positive learning french before attempting. .and as for the criminal record, minimise it by much, very much !
Then there's the physical.
If you are fair decent in speaking / understanding french. ..this may help in case you are lacking on physical
Pay attention to what we say because it aint bull

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This is why I wanted to take formal classes for French (currently doing so). I'd want to be able to do my job effectively and to do that you need to know more than "bonjour", "oui/non" and "bierre, s'il vous plait".

Can only imagine a caporal trying to tell a guy who barely knows French about how to dismantle his weapons and clean them properly
can teach a monkey tricks by just holding up a part then giving a treat. the treat in the legion is going for a run or press ups. case of showing & doing i think. watch & repeat. even the dumbest guy will follow the others.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It can only be positive learning french before attempting. .and as for the criminal record, minimise it by much, very much !
If you are fair decent in speaking / understanding french. ..this may help in case you are lacking on physical
I will

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The more intelligent guys will learn signals, medic.. the slow learners will be at the bottom of the food chain. I would say that if you are not a Cpl at your 4/5 year point you are either solid or have a learning problem. I bet you will get the simple jobs and will be treated as a c@nt. Maybe the guys in the 80s got by because of the so called English mafia or what ever but i do not think you will get by these days. More technical equipment, more choice of candidates.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As long as I am not automatically disqualified, and they offer the opportunity to explain and they take it into consideration, I can maintain motivation and prepare myself to the best of my ability. As long as there is a chance, I will put more effort into this than anything I've ever done

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

I plan to take a french course as well and supplement that on my own time.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I will most definitely make sure I have basic French and in great physical fitness shape.

There are many reasons I want to join. The main reason is to serve, to become a soldier for the Legion. To gain Honor in my life. I do live comfortable compared to a lot...I do not want that, I do not find fulfilment in comfort. Isn't it a Legion saying, "pain is weakness leaving the body"? I need to be made stronger by being broken down. The military discipline is what I want. I want to be a part of the history, to build a legacy. I want the story of my life to be a complete story and if the legion is part of my story, it can be complete. I want to commit to service.

Sounds like me

maim

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Son did his medical and fitness tests for the army,in Bordeaux last week. .passed all and is now waiting for his marching orders (1 - 3 months)
Really need to quit Nîmes, big time
Waiting for oppertunity to fall
Go to Montpellier, good concerts and Uni chicks, I was off like a ferret down a Yorkshire mans trousers when I got leave. Saw a number of great bands. Safe, M.

maim

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
When I went to France after absconding from the Brit Army, I managed to blurt out, un billet brun pour Paris, LOL. Years later when I was in Djiboot the Adjt thought it would be a laff if he got the Paris Match journalist to interview me at 0100 hrs after a live firing exercise.
I'll write in English.
So Caporal Gilmour why did you join the FFL
Pour tuer
Is that all
Non, the gamelle
Oui la boof
And has it been OK
Gamelle ca va
Tuer impeccable
The rest of the Legionnaires were in fits, because I spoke pretty good French at the time.
She winced and thanked me for my time
I said in pretty fluent in French
It was my pleasure young lady, it is a rarity that men such as us are allowed to spend 5 minutes with a lady as beautiful an as charming as you.
As we say Hilarity ensued.
Almost as good as the party in the Menelik Hotel with Ethiopias Royal Family, LOL, but that can wait for another day unless Thommo wants to fill you in.
Great memories.