a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marines.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
" The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds and the low morals of any group of animals, I have ever seen. Thank God for the USMC."

Quote from Elanor Roosvelt.:D

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
" The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds and the low morals of any group of animals, I have ever seen. Thank God for the USMC."

Oh well, she obviously never met up with your average legion outfit then.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

That's right Chas. And Renaldas Magnus like we like to refer to the old Gipper, Maggie's old bud here, Some people wonder if they have made a difference in life, Marines Don't.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Oh well, she obviously never met up with your average legion outfit then.

Jonny, I am sure you guys were more than up to that standard, Said with much respect. Joe, Jonny, Pink Floyd, Mark Wake, Miam, Le Petit Caporal, and all, PLEASE do not take offense if I over looked any of you. I'd have you on my flank any day and we'd return the favor. Goes with out saying to our French and UK friends. What a damned fine lot

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Thank you Chas.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Jonny, I am sure you guys were more than up to that standard, Said with much respect. Joe, Jonny, Pink Floyd, Mark Wake, Miam, Le Petit Caporal, and all, PLEASE do not take offense if I over looked any of you. I'd have you on my flank any day and we'd return the favor. Goes with out saying to our French and UK friends. What a damned fine lot

‘I’ve been told but I don’t know/eskimo pussy is mighty cold’

Respect to the USMC as well, mate!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
A Marine Squad would wipe the floor with a US Army Squad any day of the week. Respect, Devil Dogs.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I would say this if given the chance to join the marines or the army........Its a no brainer.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
A Marine Squad would wipe the floor with a US Army Squad any day of the week. Respect, Devil Dogs.

Well, yeah. A Marine rifle squad is 3 fire teams instead of two for the Army; start with that. I'll also concede that, pound for pound, they're simply better.

But where they really eclipse us is on the service/support side; their POG's would eat our POG's' lunch.

However, our SOF are likely better than theirs, simply based on operational experience, though that may change in time. They also lack a real equivalent to our 75th; unless we count Force Recon, whose proper opposite number is more like our LRRSD's.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Crawdad,

for those of us who are not acquainted to US Military jargon such as
:oops:
:whistle: Marine
could you please explain what you are on about.:)

Avec Plaisir.

"POG" (pronounced 'Pogue') is "People Other than Grunts"; Non-infantry types. This can mean either strictly non-infantry--which includes Cavalrymen, Artillerists, Tankers, and Sappers (Genie De Combat); or loosely, rear-echelon troops; supply, signal, transportation, aviation, medical, MP's, Chaplains' Assistants, whatever. See Also: 'Fobbits' or 'REMF's'.

The Marine philosophy of 'Every Marine a rifleman' is no myth. The Army, conversely, makes no such claim and acts accordingly. Ergo, a flute player in the Marine Band receives some training as an infantryman; whereas a flute player in the Army does not. Hence, in a firefight, my money's on the Marine clarinet section.

To 'eat someones lunch' is, in Yank slang, to utterly dominate someone.

LRRSD is Long Range Reconnaissance and Surveillance Detachment. The French equivalent would be 13eme RDP.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well, yeah. A Marine rifle squad is 3 fire teams instead of two for the Army; start with that. I'll also concede that, pound for pound, they're simply better.

But where they really eclipse us is on the service/support side; their POG's would eat our POG's' lunch.

However, our SOF are likely better than theirs, simply based on operational experience, though that may change in time. They also lack a real equivalent to our 75th; unless we count Force Recon, whose proper opposite number is more like our LRRSD's.
True, certain army units have a clear technological advantage, as well as training. Truthfully though, it depends on the men in the team. You could have some extraordinary people on either team.

Both have a purpose, the Army is the giant beast that slowly walks to the enemy, the marines are the shock troops you send to deliver a broken jaw.