a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you think some EU countries should have their version of the FFL?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I had a discussion with a service member about this idea. He thinks that if other countries had their version of the FFL it would be a great fast track to citenzship and learning the culture of the country you serve. I am kind of iffy on this becasue of the stories of people going civvie in the legion. But could bolster certain armies that need and or want bodies in their services. What do you guys think?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Some, (U.K. and Germany) are considering this option...The U.K. recently expanded easier recruitment rules for the Commonwealth citizen's (has been discussed on here previously)
Germany, has serious issues in their army for recruitment (a thread about it exists) No idea if it will come to light
One thing that Europe really needs to do...is obtain a EU permanent seat at the United Nations security council

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Some, (U.K. and Germany) are considering this option...The U.K. recently expanded easier recruitment rules for the Commonwealth citizen's (has been discussed on here previously)
Germany, has serious issues in their army for recruitment (a thread about it exists) No idea if it will come to light
One thing that Europe really needs to do...is obtain a EU permanent seat at the United Nations security council
France and UK are both on the security council. Germany will never be given a seat at the council, too much history. I do believe there should be a country from South America and Africa on the council though.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The UK seriously considered a British Foreign Legion after WW2. This was to accommodate all the foreign displaced persons who had fought so bravely on our behalf during WW2

My admiration is undeniable for the magnificent Poles and Czechs who defended us during the Battle of Britain. A period where I lost my London home.

Subsequently in Italy my father as an o/r in the RASC.

I am not in favour of an EU Army. NATO is effective and it was not as so often stated the EU that protected us and won the Cold war. The Home Service Force HSF which I served with during the Cold War is worth a google. It was designed to guard major key points from sabotage and Spetsnaz incursions. Some duties still remain unmentionable under the Official Secrets Act- So you will have to kill me.:) Mind you I did not fancy a Spetsnaz hammer and nail through the knee cap.(n)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes a lot from fiji. Just look at the scottish infantry

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I believe any EU citizen can already join the army of any other EU country , however you will need to speak , read and write in their language like a native and meet their other educational standards.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'd say the US needs one, but the way they handle the military these days, probably would not amount to much.

Thoroughly agree. We're starting to have problems with recruitment/retention ourselves, that's one thing. We'd have no shortage of foreign volunteers, that's another.

But like you say, we'd completely screw it up. The powers that be would insist on treating it like any other US unit, and the end result would be a dysfunctional, second-rate outfit. If they were even as proficient as the Puerto Rican National Guard, I'd be surprised.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thoroughly agree. We're starting to have problems with recruitment/retention ourselves, that's one thing. We'd have no shortage of foreign volunteers, that's another.

But like you say, we'd completely screw it up. The powers that be would insist on treating it like any other US unit, and the end result would be a dysfunctional, second-rate outfit. If they were even as proficient as the Puerto Rican National Guard, I'd be surprised.
I look at the recruitment and retention part and I take it personal. I mean damn I am willing to put it all on the line I have no criminal record and I graduated high school and you still dont want me smh. The services need to look at themselves deep we went from marine diamond cutting comercial during the Iraq war to pansy fest 2019 real quick.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That is why many older generation soldiers just left or hurried to retire. Most of my senior NCO's had little good to say about the Army and how it is today.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
But I will also not completely rag on the uS military. A lot of great people in it. The best men I ever knew, good friends of mine, were there. Even with all the bad leaders, I had one or two sergeants who did not cut corners and did their best to train us and help us in any way they could.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
But I will also not completely rag on the uS military. A lot of great people in it. The best men I ever knew, good friends of mine, were there. Even with all the bad leaders, I had one or two sergeants who did not cut corners and did their best to train us and help us in any way they could.
I completely understand I come from a military family.But one thing I will never understand is corner cutting and playing the proverbial rusty trombone and throwing their feelings and views into military lifestyle.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I completely understand I come from a military family.But one thing I will never understand is corner cutting and playing the proverbial rusty trombone and throwing their feelings and views into military lifestyle.
A lot of people are guilty of that, including me. Just because I had a rough experience doesn't mean I should discount it for others. Any young man, or woman if you are able, fit, and have years of youth to spend, should at least give it a shot. I don't think there is a soul who ever regrets that choice completely.

Anyways, we are off topic. I'm for the idea of an American Foreign Legion, but in principle it won't work here. My country is a very, very diverse place. In the Army I had buddies from Senegal, Samoa, Vietnam, Russia, and many other places. Isn't the point of a foreign legion to be a unit or foreigners? I mean hell, all of us Americans were foreigners at some point. I don't think it has even been a century since my folks came here from Germany/Prussia.

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
The US military already takes foreigners into other ranks as long as they have a green card. Citizens of most countries can join unless you happen to be from Iran, China, Russia, North Korea etc, in which case you will be deemed too much of a security risk to be allowed through the gate.

You'll never be commissioned until you get US citizenship.

A friend's father joined the US Navy that way, and declined a commission because he didn't want to give up Thai citizenship which was a big part of his retirement plan. A friend of a friend, also from Thailand, is now in the US Army. I think he joined under the MAVNI programme, which means that he didn't even have a green card, just a valid tourist visa. Luckily for him, the Pentagon still views Thai language as a key strategic skill that should be maintained, making him eligible to join under MAVNI regulations.

Trump has since cancelled MAVNI.

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
I believe any EU citizen can already join the army of any other EU country , however you will need to speak , read and write in their language like a native and meet their other educational standards.

No, this is not the case.

You can't join the British military unless you are a British, Irish, or Commonwealth citizen, and even then it is unlikely that you will get the highest security clearances for certain jobs unless all of your grandparents were born British.

You can't join the Swedish army unless you are a Swedish citizen, the German army unless you are a German citizen, etc.

You can't join the French military as a foreigner unless you join the FFL.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

You can't join the British military unless you are a British, Irish, or Commonwealth citizen, and even then it is unlikely that you will get the highest security clearances for certain jobs unless all of your grandparents were born British.

You can't join the Swedish army unless you are a Swedish citizen, the German army unless you are a German citizen, etc.

I'll read up on it but I'm fairly certain you can once you are an official resident of that EU country, the time scale for that can vary country to country, it's all about being an EU citizen and equality, but as I said before you would have to speak the language perfectly and be educated to their required level.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Would Agree with this. Was the case in my time sure it is the same now.