a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING Introduction, my background and questions I want to clarify

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Hello, my name is Nick, 23, I just joined the forum and already enjoyed many interesting topics, thank you for that.

About my background:
I was doing random sports throughout my childhood, basketball, swimming, track and field and boxing - my family was almost poor so I'm working since I've turned 16-17, but my passion always was to join the military and as years go on, I believe that for me, military career is the right thing to choose.

After I graduated from high school, I already got into high paying job (biggest corporation in my country, salary was 4x of average and I was doing something I've learned on my own, it's rare thing - so high in demand and I've never went in university).
I can say that I've met a lot of "successful" civilians throughout my life, and I know solid portion of people who are well "established" in my country, however, more I know more I realize, how miserable they truly are and how they are wasting their life to gain material fortune - at least that is what I think and I don't want the same for myself.

As I've mentioned above, I started working at corporate jobs straight after high school, and since my family was almost poor - long story short I've ended up with huge mortgage that I have to pay for the next 20 years, so I was stuck in a treadmill, where I was unable to join the military, because the mortgage I am paying each month is higher, then the salary of a Sergeant in my country.

However, around 1 week ago I found out about FFL and I think it is a good opportunity for my to start my military career.
If FFL will accept me and if I'm not gonna die or get badly injured during my 5 year service, I will fully cover my mortgage and after 5 years, I will be able to join my national military and will aim for national SF. (I can go for it till I will turn 30)

I have to get a few things in check in my country before I will go on tests in FFL, if I will leave now and FFL will accept me, few influential guys will be very pissed for some reasons (that you are not interested in I guess), so I plan to get those things in check for January, 2020, till then I will learn as much french as possible - and I will go and try for FFL.

My physical stats are:
Height - 183 cm (6 ft)
Weight - 97 kg - 215 (lbs) (That's my "sport" shape actually, I'm not fat now and not very bulked)

100 m run - 12.3
2 mile - 11:25
10 km - 43:30
22 km - 2:20

Sit ups - 102 in 2 minutes
Push ups - 65 in 2 minutes
Pull ups - 12 without touching the ground

I don't know times for swimming, but I can swim few KM's non stop, as well as short distance - fast and 35m underwater.

I never had a problems with health, nor any criminal records.

Extra, if someone is interested - Why I want military career
Everyone that I've admired in my life was military or veteran, I strongly believe that discipline equals freedom (jocko willink quote), but there is so little discipline in civilian life and so much garbage in people that it makes me sick - I don't want to waste my life making money and living high class life with weasels and snakes. I'd rather sleep in tents with people, who are disciplined and united towards the same mission / goal, who can count and trust each other, and if i will have a chance to live and serve with people like that, I do not mind dying for them - since I will experience what I believe is truly meaningful in life.
It might sound cliche, but I mean it.

My questions are:
- Is it "ok" to tell the FFL recruiter that the reason I'm not joining my national military is that of financial problems, and that I will be joining it after if I will be alive after my 5 year contract?
- After what time will I be deployed?
- Can I volunteer for deployment?
- If I die in combat during my service time in FFL, will they pay any compensation to my family?

Thank you very much,
Regards

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Nick6,

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully a Green will answer your questions. They are the experts having completed their contracts with honour and fidelity.

Are you certain that you will be able to cover your mortgage monthly repayments if you are accepted by the Legion ?

If you do go you will have to understand that you will be right at the bottom of the food chain. Also you may become bored by repetitive mundane chores. You might not even see action. Should you go I believe that you should apply for as many courses as possible to retain your interest.

It will however be a challenge.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Nick6,

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully a Green will answer your questions. They are the experts having completed their contracts with honour and fidelity.

Are you certain that you will be able to cover your mortgage monthly repayments if you are accepted by the Legion ?

If you do go you will have to understand that you will be right at the bottom of the food chain. Also you may become bored by repetitive mundane chores. You might not even see action. Should you go I believe that you should apply for as many courses as possible to retain your interest.

It will however be a challenge.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hello Chas,
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I am sure about covering monthly repayments, I will leave 4 month balance before I will leave, just in case I won't be accepted on my first try.

I do not have any problems with being at the bottom of the food chain - as long as I will have a power to be able to complete every task given and not die out of hunger.

"Also you may become bored by repetitive mundane chores". - understood, I will try my best to go through it even if i will get bored.

The only thing I'm worrying about, is not seeing an action at all, not deploying - I want to get deployed in as many missions as possible.

Do I have a choice to volunteer by myself on different FFL courses?
I want to be as experienced as possible after 5 years.

Thank you!

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hello, my name is Nick, 23, I just joined the forum and already enjoyed many interesting topics, thank you for that.

About my background:
I was doing random sports throughout my childhood, basketball, swimming, track and field and boxing - my family was almost poor so I'm working since I've turned 16-17, but my passion always was to join the military and as years go on, I believe that for me, military career is the right thing to choose.

After I graduated from high school, I already got into high paying job (biggest corporation in my country, salary was 4x of average and I was doing something I've learned on my own, it's rare thing - so high in demand and I've never went in university).
I can say that I've met a lot of "successful" civilians throughout my life, and I know solid portion of people who are well "established" in my country, however, more I know more I realize, how miserable they truly are and how they are wasting their life to gain material fortune - at least that is what I think and I don't want the same for myself.

As I've mentioned above, I started working at corporate jobs straight after high school, and since my family was almost poor - long story short I've ended up with huge mortgage that I have to pay for the next 20 years, so I was stuck in a treadmill, where I was unable to join the military, because the mortgage I am paying each month is higher, then the salary of a Sergeant in my country.

However, around 1 week ago I found out about FFL and I think it is a good opportunity for my to start my military career.
If FFL will accept me and if I'm not gonna die or get badly injured during my 5 year service, I will fully cover my mortgage and after 5 years, I will be able to join my national military and will aim for national SF. (I can go for it till I will turn 30)

I have to get a few things in check in my country before I will go on tests in FFL, if I will leave now and FFL will accept me, few influential guys will be very pissed for some reasons (that you are not interested in I guess), so I plan to get those things in check for January, 2020, till then I will learn as much french as possible - and I will go and try for FFL.

My physical stats are:
Height - 183 cm (6 ft)
Weight - 97 kg - 215 (lbs) (That's my "sport" shape actually, I'm not fat now and not very bulked)

100 m run - 12.3
2 mile - 11:25
10 km - 43:30
22 km - 2:20

Sit ups - 102 in 2 minutes
Push ups - 65 in 2 minutes
Pull ups - 12 without touching the ground

I don't know times for swimming, but I can swim few KM's non stop, as well as short distance - fast and 35m underwater.

I never had a problems with health, nor any criminal records.

Extra, if someone is interested - Why I want military career
Everyone that I've admired in my life was military or veteran, I strongly believe that discipline equals freedom (jocko willink quote), but there is so little discipline in civilian life and so much garbage in people that it makes me sick - I don't want to waste my life making money and living high class life with weasels and snakes. I'd rather sleep in tents with people, who are disciplined and united towards the same mission / goal, who can count and trust each other, and if i will have a chance to live and serve with people like that, I do not mind dying for them - since I will experience what I believe is truly meaningful in life.
It might sound cliche, but I mean it.

My questions are:
- Is it "ok" to tell the FFL recruiter that the reason I'm not joining my national military is that of financial problems, and that I will be joining it after if I will be alive after my 5 year contract?
- After what time will I be deployed?
- Can I volunteer for deployment?
- If I die in combat during my service time in FFL, will they pay any compensation to my family?

Thank you very much,
Regards
Cheers mate,

You sound like You have the right attitude. Living in tents with the right people around you is no problem at all. And as for your question whether or not the French government will pay your family if you get killed, I don’t know the answer. But I was wounded in action in Algeria in 1961 and the French are still paying me an invadility pension of 40% every month. That’s nearly 60 years worth. So I reckon the answer to your question is Yes.

887C33BC-73E9-4771-A1C6-A86868586853.jpeg887C33BC-73E9-4771-A1C6-A86868586853.jpeg

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Cheers mate,

You sound like You have the right attitude. Living in tents with the right people around you is no problem at all. And as for your question whether or not the French government will pay your family if you get killed, I don’t know the answer. But I was wounded in action in Algeria in 1961 and the French are still paying me an invadility pension of 40% every month. That’s nearly 60 years worth. So I reckon the answer to your question is Yes.

View attachment 4976View attachment 4976

Hello Jonny,
Thank you for your time!

Understood - well, that is the one thing I'm interested in the most, because if I will die, they won't be able to repay the mortgage by themselves so I want to know for sure.
Perhaps, I will find out something about proper insurance for that case prior to joining.

Thank you!
Regards

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Welcome to the forum. I suppose the simple solution, is to not die 😁 unless they tell you to
Hello and thanks!
Well yes, but nobody thinks that they will be the guy who's going to die, right? I realize there is a very low chance of death in current situation, but you never know what will be going on in 5 years from now.
I'm not nihilistic nor depressed and surely I'm not looking for death, but I have no problem with dying in the military - however, I want to repay my parents mortgage first, so they don't have to suffer even more.

Thank you, regards!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello and thanks!
Well yes, but nobody thinks that they will be the guy who's going to die, right? I realize there is a very low chance of death in current situation, but you never know what will be going on in 5 years from now.
I'm not nihilistic nor depressed and surely I'm not looking for death, but I have no problem with dying in the military - however, I want to repay my parents mortgage first, so they don't have to suffer even more.

Thank you, regards!
I agree. There is a difference between not fearing death and not clinging onto life. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted dude

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Nick and welcome to the forum. Before each legionnaire is deployed it is obligatory to take out a life insurance, no ifs, no buts. You can make the beneficiary whoever you like, in your case your parents. Now no more talk of dying.
As for going overseas, there are regiments which go more overseas than others. Stay in a combat company as long as possible.
The REP pays about a third more than the other regiments based in France because of jump pay... just saying.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Hello Chas,
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I am sure about covering monthly repayments, I will leave 4 month balance before I will leave, just in case I won't be accepted on my first try.

I do not have any problems with being at the bottom of the food chain - as long as I will have a power to be able to complete every task given and not die out of hunger.

"Also you may become bored by repetitive mundane chores". - understood, I will try my best to go through it even if i will get bored.

The only thing I'm worrying about, is not seeing an action at all, not deploying - I want to get deployed in as many missions as possible.

Do I have a choice to volunteer by myself on different FFL courses?
I want to be as experienced as possible after 5 years.

Thank you!
You won’t be doing any courses/stages until you are well and truly established in your section (Regiment). It will be at your Chef de section’s discretion who he sends. For example, if can’t hit the side of a barn with a banjo you will not be sent on a snipers course. You’ll also be permanently overlooked if you are the section’s lazy deadbeat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Hello Nick and welcome to the forum. Before each legionnaire is deployed it is obligatory to take out a life insurance, no ifs, no buts. You can make the beneficiary whoever you like, in your case your parents. Now no more talk of dying.
As for going overseas, there are regiments which go more overseas than others. Stay in a combat company as long as possible.
The REP pays about a third more than the other regiments based in France because of jump pay... just saying.
Thank you Joseph!

Understood about insurance, happy to hear that.
What can I do to stay in a combat company? Is it up to me?

Thank you and regards!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Unless you are deemed useless by your superiors or fin de contract than yes, it's up to you.

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
You won’t be doing any courses/stages until you are well and truly established in your section (Regiment). It will be at your Chef de section’s discretion who he sends. For example, if can’t hit the side of a barn with a banjo you will not be sent to a snipers course. You’ll also be permanently overlooked if you are the section’s lazy deadbeat.
Hello and thank you!
As I understood from what you have written - I have to be better than average to get noticed by my chef de section and to send me on that particular course he will consider that I'm going to be good at.

Thank you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Just to follow up on what my esteemed colleague Pink Floyd has written. Worry about getting yourself in. Once you have done that then start worrying about getting a good place at the end of instruction (basic training). This allows you more scope in choosing which regiment you would like to go to.
Once you are in your regiment you will already have to go on a course, whether it be the 'section de marche' as in most regiments or the Promo as in the REP or stage Brousse as in 3 REI. You will be ,as you have just turned up from Castel, watched very closely.
Then you will go to your new company and do another course - probably the company's specialty and after that (sometimes before) you will go on your driving course. Even though you may have a driving license from your own country.
Then there will be other courses available such as sniper, mechanic, medic etc.

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Just to follow up on what my esteemed colleague Pink Floyd has written. Worry about getting yourself in. Once you have done that then start worrying about getting a good place at the end of instruction (basic training). This allows you more scope in choosing which regiment you would like to go to.
Once you are in your regiment you will already have to go on a course, whether it be the 'section de marche' as in most regiments or the Promo as in the REP or stage Brousse as in 3 REI. You will be ,as you have just turned up from Castel, watched very closely.
Then you will go to your new company and do another course - probably the company's specialty and after that (sometimes before) you will go on your driving course. Even though you may have a driving license from your own country.
Then there will be other courses available such as sniper, mechanic, medic etc.
Very clear, thank you!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Leave more than just 4 months to cover your parents mortgage, just in case you do get in. ..
If you get in, blah blah. ..it's going to take time for you to set up a regular payment system .In the mean time use the post office or western union.
With the money you have left and as Joe has stated, you must take out a extra health insurance (it's for medical reasons but it covers death and serious injuries too). Nothing stopping you to take out extra life and death insuranes
Far too many money and death questions imo
Personally, am a care free kind of dude

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Leave more than just 4 months to cover your parents mortgage, just in case you do get in. ..
If you get in, blah blah. ..it's going to take time for you to set up a regular payment system .In the mean time use the post office or western union.
With the money you have left and as Joe has stated, you must take out a extra health insurance (it's for medical reasons but it covers death and serious injuries too). Nothing stopping you to take out extra life and death insuranes
Far too many money and death questions imo
Personally, am a care free kind of dude
Hello and thank you.
"Far too many money and death questions" - well, everything else is more or less covered in other threads, so I just read it there.
"Personally, am a care free kind of dude" - I wish I could, my parents can repay mortgage without me - so I have to take responsibility.

Regards!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Save your money and place it in life insurance and if you get run over by a bus, your next to kin will recieve what ever