a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Guys, I'm a bit confused about some post talking about guys over 35 years of age having small chances of getting selected, I thought it was about passing both physical and psychological test. I am 37 years old, and a former rugby player, but till now I never had any injuries, what are my chances and what do I expect when getting to selection center? Some other guys are talking about BMI so I calculated my BMI and it was 21, so many stories out there on the internet and some are confusing.
If I am eventually selected, which is the best regiment that will involve me going to Africa for peace keeping most of the time??

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If I am eventually selected, which is the best regiment that will involve me going to Africa for peace keeping most of the time??
Peace keeping? :oops: Let's not confuse the Legion with the Salvation army.
It isn't just about the physical tests or the psychological tests or the “gestapo”, a lot of it has to do with your attitude. You will be watched all the time. If you have got a chip on your shoulder for any reason and cannot get along with others, it's a no go. If you cannot take orders from a 20 year old Pole who can hardly string two words of French -between 4 words of 'curva' together, it's a no go.
There are ten people who will have the right amount of pull-ups and the right amount of correct answers, but there are only two places. Work it out for yourself.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In a Legion documentary, there was a grandad like you, but 39, who was selected and went civil later due to an injury. Assuming you aren't broken, it is possible. Try anyways.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Peace keeping? :oops: Let's not confuse the legion with the Salvation army.
I watch some videos about legionnaires in some French speaking African countries, and they are from one of the Legion's regiments, that's why I am asking.

In a Legion documentary, there was a grandad like you, but 39, who was selected and went civil later due to an injury. Assuming you aren't broken, it is possible. Try anyways.
Well going civil due to injuries is far more better than the young guys that deserted all the time, what do you think?

It isn't just about the physical tests or the psychological tests or the “gestapo”, a lot of it has to do with your attitude. You will be watched all the time. If you have got a chip on your shoulder for any reason and cannot get along with others, it's a no go. If you cannot take orders from a 20 year old Pole who can hardly string two words of French -between 4 words of 'curva' together, it's a no go.
There are ten people who will have the right amount of pull-ups and the right amount of correct answers, but there are only two places. Work it out for yourself.
Taking orders from a 20 year old guy is normal, in my current job my supervisor is a 25 year old guy, and I take orders from him, so I can say I am used to it. And thanks a lot for the advice.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Of course they are legionnaires in French speaking countries there to keep the peace. But take my word for it, they are just waiting for it to kick off.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Legion (and France) did its peacekeeping job well at Kosovo and Metohija. I just recently heard some testimonies of Kosovo Serbs. So, after withdrawal of Serbian forces from Kosovo there was threat of Albanians take advantage of situation and attacking Serbian people.
KFOR - Kosovo peacekeeping force was made by NATO and organized in 5 zones under jurisdiction of France, Italy, Germany, UK and US. Story goes that people in zones under French and Italian jurisdiction were safe and those under German and UK not so much. Yanks also probably did job well, but no one would say that because they (Clinton's administration) were totally on Albanian side in this conflict. :)

Taking orders from a 20 year old guy is normal, in my current job my supervisor is a 25 year old guy, and I take orders from him, so I can say I am used to it. And thanks a lot for the advice.
Not a problem with me either. I would maybe take orders from 10 yr younger guy, but he would had more experience than me in FFL. Also I would rather take orders from capable, intelligent young guy than older guy who is idiot. Real misfortune would be if you get young guy who is an idiot and also prick. :)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Evry order i recieved i said, in the back of my head, fk you, son of a bitch. ...
Even today. ..
When i get a random police control and they ask for my papers. ..'fk off'
It's a stale mate situation but am not conceding nowt. ..they will tire before i give up
It's all about détermination and attitude
How the hell the Legion passed on my qualités baffles the mînd

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Evry order i recieved i said, in the back of my head, fk you, son of a bitch. ...
Even today. ..
When i get a random police control and they ask for my papers. ..'fk off'
It's a stale mate situation but am not conceding nowt. ..they will tire before i give up
It's all about détermination and attitude
How the hell the Legion passed on my qualités baffles the mînd
Correct all about determination and attitude. 'Ne pas subir'.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My old squad leader was like that. 20, thought he knew everything, real asshole. I will give it to him though, he knew his shit mostly. Just thought about bashing him with my entrenching tool from time to time 😁. How to build patience and mental toughness ? Endure stupid people.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
• BMI of 21 is not an issue. It’s perfectly within the range generally considered as healthy (unlike mine, unfortunately... :))
• Peace keeping missions in Africa? At the moment the French Army is not involved in any. By peace-keeping missions, I mean operations under a UN mandate.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Legion (and France) did its peacekeeping job well at Kosovo and Metohija. I just recently heard some testimonies of Kosovo Serbs. So, after withdrawal of Serbian forces from Kosovo there was threat of Albanians take advantage of situation and attacking Serbian people.
KFOR - Kosovo peacekeeping force was made by NATO and organized in 5 zones under jurisdiction of France, Italy, Germany, UK and US. Story goes that people in zones under French and Italian jurisdiction were safe and those under German and UK not so much. Yanks also probably did job well, but no one would say that because they (Clinton's administration) were totally on Albanian side in this conflict. :)

Not a problem with me either. I would maybe take orders from 10 yr younger guy, but he would had more experience than me in FFL. Also I would rather take orders from capable, intelligent young guy than older guy who is idiot. Real misfortune would be if you get young guy who is an idiot and also prick. :)
You are very correct, let's see how it goes,it will be another life experience

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well going civil due to injuries is far more better than the young guys that deserted all the time, what do you think?
I think that the Legion will chose the right man, so that they may earn the right to wear le Képi Blanc, quelles que soient sa nationalité, sa race, ou sa religion. Et son âge. Young, old, all could be selected. Depends if you are healthy, fit, and can deal with the mental gymnastics. If you can go ASAP, go. I'd leave tonight if I could.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
(...) If you can go ASAP, go. I'd leave tonight if I could.
I'd love to go ASAP but my job haven't granted me the days off that I requested for, and I think it's not a good idea to just go like that, I am still under physical training exercise, I need to be at least 80% physically fit when I go, some guys told me to go during winter, ,they said during summer there is a lot of people going for recruitment and only few goes during the winter, the fewer candidate the more chances I have to be selected, give me your own advice.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Just go and be your best when you go. Which as everyone I have talked to who is or was a legionnaire said, leave ASAP. Go in the summer, maybe more people, maybe you stand out. Go in winter, maybe you are up against a Ukrainian or Russian stud.

Never know, the right time to go is ASAP

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Just go and be your best when you go. Which as everyone I have talked to who is or was a legionnaire said, leave ASAP. Go in the summer, maybe more people, maybe you stand out. Go in winter, maybe you are up against a Ukrainian or Russian stud.

Never know, the right time to go is ASAP
Thanks a lot let me check for air ticket and see which cities have the cheapest tickets from that city I will enlist

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Marseille, then take the road to Aubagne. Ask Joe for advice on route and where to stay.