a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army Virtue-Tweet Backfires: 1000s Expose "Heartbreaking" Horrors Of War

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Everybody has to deal with stuff in their own way, the internet along with social media have given people another way of sharing their negative experiences war is not a nice place or working in areas of conflict some people have the metal to deal with it others don’t!
We now have a problem with reality TV in the UK where people are unfortunately taking their life (suicide) after working for over 12 years for the NHS. Having studied Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and working with a lot of vets it is evident that a better screening around mental health prior to joining may have lessened the amount of people taking these extreme measures or would they have taken them anyway as they have always been unwell and were just ticking away, hard to evidence base but to many ex forces hide behind the PTSD as an excuse for their behaviour and a barrier to prevent interventions from organisations offering support. The above is a personal reflection of supporting ex forces and civilians over 18 years.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So Papillon, what are you saying? Lack of Moral fibre? Used that one in WW1 mate. 🤔

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I say if the hat fits were it buddy! Don’t forget the forces are full of guys that join for the wrong reasons. Unfortunately some end up in jobs and roles they are not suited for and others are up to their neck in sh*t from day one.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes, but you mentioned better screening. Do you think it's any worse now than say 1914/1918? PTSD has always been around, hence the terms used lack of moral fibre. You said yourself it's only come more to Light because of Internet, Media. So i am not totally disagreeing with you. But I find your opinions harsh considering your experience & Qualifications. I mean do you really think people use it as an excuse PTSD? Very narrow views but on the other hand you're in some ways very liberal when it comes to races. A bit like water & oil.

Scouser

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Everybody has to deal with stuff in their own way, the internet along with social media have given people another way of sharing their negative experiences war is not a nice place or working in areas of conflict some people have the metal to deal with it others don’t!
We now have a problem with reality TV in the UK where people are unfortunately taking their life (suicide) after working for over 12 years for the NHS. Having studied Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and working with a lot of vets it is evident that a better screening around mental health prior to joining may have lessened the amount of people taking these extreme measures or would they have taken them anyway as they have always been unwell and were just ticking away, hard to evidence base but to many ex forces hide behind the PTSD as an excuse for their behaviour and a barrier to prevent interventions from organisations offering support. The above is a personal reflection of supporting ex forces and civilians over 18 years.
I am NHS too and we both know that PTSD is not unique to the military. Far from it.
Apart from all of the issues expressed by the countless respondents that post demonstrates several things: the military, ALL, are fully aware of the potential if not probable consequences of military life on the people they seek to recruit yet necessarily seek to propagate (in their tweet for example) a different narrative. In inviting respondents they got an unfiltered, authentic narrative which they were unable to control due to the nature of the medium.
The other “take-away”? The military is not your friend.
My advice is be the sovereign man.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes, but you mentioned better screening. Do you think it's any worse now than say 1914/1918? PTSD has always been around, hence the terms used lack of moral fibre. You said yourself it's only come more to Light because of Internet, Media. So i am not totally disagreeing with you. But I find your opinions harsh considering your experience & Qualifications. I mean do you really think people use it as an excuse PTSD? Very narrow views but on the other hand you're in some ways very liberal when it comes to races. A bit like water & oil.
Yes I do think some people use the PTSD as an excuse for their behaviour as for being tolerant with nationalities, yes I am. Hard to serve in the Legion if you're not. Also have been warmly welcomed around the world on my travels as I always stay off the tourist routes and go to very remote areas. Unfortunately travelling like that is harder due to present global problems but my view is the world is my oyster so why should it not be others' also!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes I do think some people use the PTSD as an excuse for their behaviour as for being tolerant with nationalities, yes I am. Hard to serve in the Legion if you're not. Also have been warmly welcomed around the world on my travels as I always stay off the tourist routes and go to very remote areas. Unfortunately travelling like that is harder due to present global problems but my view is the world is my oyster so why should it not be others' also!
some people have the metal to deal with it others don’t!
So did they teach this on your Uni course? :unsure: Do you think this is why some were shot because lack of moral fibre, shell shock? Just curious. I know what you are saying in your own words & opinion. you also never answered my question or point about screening new soldiers. surely it must be better now than say WW1/2. How can they improve it? Surely in this day and age we understand PTSD better. The OP did make a good point PTSD is not only in the military.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
so i looked up your study course. found this which is also about PTSD of a rape patient. not going to say you would mean "some have the metal do deal with it others don´t" regarding Rape as you are or were talking about the Army. However why should this be different? throws your statement out the window. A rape victim in most cases does not choose it nor do they always have control of it afterwards. Just very surprised you have such opinions as i find you to be a very Liberal guy.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Sexpert, you're pushing up too much that right-wing agenda. Not all liberal ideas are bad and not all right wing are good. I like to use my own head and not to put my self in mold of political party or current I'm supporting. Yes, I agree that this neoliberal-globalistic lobby doing many things wrongly and not in interest of many European (and other) citizens, but that doesn't mean that I would blindly follow all right wing ideas.

And yes some people faking PTSD, other use excuses for bad behavior like addictions etc. And in yes in many cases is real deal caused by traumatic event. Why you have problem wit that? I don't get why you're saying that Papillon is a liberal for saying that.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert, you're pushing up too much that right-wing agenda. Not all liberal ideas are bad and not all right wing are good. I like to use my own head and not to put my self in mold of political party or current I'm supporting. Yes, I agree that this neoliberal-globalistic lobby doing many things wrongly and not in interest of many European (and other) citizens, but that doesn't mean that I would blindly follow all right wing ideas.
What I wrote is not your concern. Have you a hangover?

And yes some people faking PTSD, other use excuses for bad behavior like addictions etc. And in yes in many cases is real deal caused by traumatic event. Why you have problem wit that? I don't get why you're saying that Papillon is a liberal for saying that.
Some of his previous comment so you didn’t understand... Go back to sleep 😁

Loosen up guys, this is not the forum for this kind of clap trap. Find another one.
Discussion & answers which you don’t need to answer or read. Think it's called democracy?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Discussion & answers which you don’t need to answer or read. Think it's called democracy?
Nope, it’s called the Cervens.net. No democracy here!

I think I’m getting one. What happened to postings about the Legion, past or present?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think I’m getting one. What happened to postings about the legion, past or present?
Papillon wrote his opinion on the OPs post mentioned PTSD, I asked him to clarify. Quite simple really. Or is there nö PTSD in the legion? Relevant to the thread. Don't see a Problem here.

Nope, it’s called the Cervens.net. No democracy here!
If it's not what some want to hear then.. No.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Papillon wrote his opinion on the OPs post mentioned PTSD, I asked him to clarify. Quite simple really. Or is there nö PTSD in the legion? Relevant to the thread. Don't see a Problem here.
No, actually, although I can only speak for myself on tha PTSD issue, along with all those former legionnaires that I have since met up with that didn’t seem tohave any mental problems. OK, as for myself, I drink alcohol regularly, as I have done since about 15. Hmm, what else? Raising a family? Getting a professional qualification?

Where does the PTSD come in? Did I see bad things in Algeria? You bet. Did I kill anyone, yes of course, the bastards were trying to kill me, and I don’t like that.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
No, actually, although I can only speak for myself on tha PTSD issue, along with all those former legionnaires that I have since met up with that didn’t seem tohave any mental problems. OK, as for myself, I drink alcohol regularly, as I have done since about 15. Hmm, what else? Raising a family? Getting a professional qualification?

Where does the PTSD come in? Did I see bad things in Algeria? You bet. Did I kill anyone, yes of course, the bastards were trying to kill me, and I don’t like that.
I am sure there were people from your time who suffered. Maybe they did not show it openly.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
I am sure there were people from your time who suffered. Maybe they did not show it openly.
Bullsh*t, the former legionnaires that I have met since then, in several countries, have been far more stable, normal and humourous than most other civilians I have met over the last 60 odd years. They all had a good grasp of life, while most civilians seemed to be a bit immature on many accounts relating to warfare. Just quoting platitudes and myths that they had read somewhere.