a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Visa

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So I have already purchased my flight to Paris. Leaving in few months. My question is how important is the visa? I've read info from multiple sources that yes you need one and no that you don't need one. It's kind of hard for me to get the visa paperwork accomplished due to fire season being in full force.

I'm a wild land fire fighter and I'm waiting for the season to end to leave for France but as I stated I've already purchased my plane ticket one way to Paris. I'm coming from the United States. So I'm just planning on traveling there and I suppose worry bout the visa when I get to the recruiting station.

I'm also a US Army veteran (Infantryman), (OIF V), should I bring a copy of my DD-214? I'll assume yes, also any other military documents needed?

I just want to earn my way into the Legion and earn the honor to serve with the Legion. So I want to make sure my paperwork and what not is all good to go. This means everything to me right now.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
If you have American passport you need visa in order to enter France.

It's not hard to get one , but yes you need.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yankee passport / Visa or Master card. ..do not give a turd dude
7 pull ups and level 7 on the Luc Léger test at least. ..
Previously Infantery, might just help
Nowt guarented

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yankee passport / Visa or Master card. ..do not give a turd dude
7 pull ups and level 7 on the Luc Léger test at least. ..
Previously Infantery, might just help
Nowt guarented

Thank you for your reply. I fully understand it's not guaranteed. Just wanted to know if I need to bring anything else besides my discharge paperwork from the US Army that proves I was indeed an infantryman. And of course the visa info. From the research I've done I know I don't need one for up to 90 days but if I do have the opportunity to actually earn the title, will I be given the opportunity to apply for a visa?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Any document that confirms your compétences. ..be it scholar or professionnal (even better, military)is all good. ..photo copies only. Leave the McCoy at home
just in case
Your budget will not permit you to extend the 90 days
If you haven't joined the Legion with in that time. .
You, me and the Legion, do not give a toss

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Any document that confirms your compétences. ..be it scholar or professionnal (even better, military)is all good. ..photo copies only. Leave the McCoy at home
just in case
Your budget will not permit you to extend the 90 days
If you haven't joined the Legion with in that time. .
You, me and the Legion, do not give a toss
Yeah Roger that, I definitely didn't plan on bringing my actual paperwork but copies. Any advice for me as far as selection process goes and training I should be doing right now as far as PT goes? Been doing trail runs and hikes, weight training. I stay in pretty decent shape due to my job now. Been on hotshot crew for the last 6 years, I've hiked in about every worst possible terrain America has to offer so that isn't going to be an issue. But I know that doesn't matter to the legion, just any advice you have for me I'd gladly take. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Keep up on the running
Legion likes dudes who can run
March as often as you can (when not running)
Légion likes dudes who can march
Carry and as heavy as you can
Légion loves dudes who can carry
Speak french
Legion likes dudes who speak french
But do not ever run your mouth off
Le Petit Caporal dosen't like Yankees running their gobs off
Stay alert
Be aware
Achtung
In coming kick in the the testicules if not
No worries
Lt aint looking
Talk less
Listen more
You might have hope

You was Infantery ?
Speciality ? Might help known wich branch and the advice i can give
Jeeze, fk
I was a grunt before you suckled titty

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Mali kaplare. You having a good evening? :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Keep up on the running
Legion likes dudes who can run
March as often as you can (when not running)
Légion likes dudes who can march
Carry and as heavy as you can
Légion loves dudes who can carry
Speak french
Legion likes dudes who speak french
But do not ever run your mouth off
Le Petit Caporal dosen't like Yankees running their gobs off
Stay alert
Be aware
Achtung
In coming kick in the the testicules if not
No worries
Lt aint looking
Talk less
Listen more
You might have hope

You was Infantery ?
Speciality ? Might help known wich branch and the advice i can give
Jeeze, fk
I was a grunt before you suckled titty

I was a machine gunner (US Army Infantry) when I was in. Spent four years as a SAW Gunner. Just a regular ground pounder. Spent time in a mech unit and also a light infantry unit. Deployed to Iraq with a mech unit 07-08 (4th Brigade 3rd Infantry Division). Built like an OX carrying heavy shit ain't no problem nor is the hiking. Prob need to work more on the running aspect though. Sounds like just shutting the f*ck up is the smart way to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Arriving at Charles de Gaulle airport (Paris) with an American passport you will automatically get a 90 day tourist visa. Make sure your passport is valid for at 3 months of arrival. The Legion processing takes anything from 2-4 weeks. If you have the funds $$$ go directly to Aubagne (east of Marseille). Dozens of young men arrive in France per week, many get cold feet at the last moment outside the big gate and return home. It’s a roll of the dice whether the Legion wants you. Everyone pays their own way to France, no cost to the French taxpayers. Le petit corporal has given you some good advice eg: get up to speed with your running, learn some basic french lingo. All the best.

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
You ask for 2 REI when you apply. We need dudes like you. Motor pool, more than likely. Our véhicules are equiped with machine gun turrets. This fits your profile. Do not be gourmand on your requests/ wants. The Legion will decide for you. Going by what you have declared and if true (bring proof)..☆You are more and likely going to be posted to one of our infantery regiments, the 13 DBLE or the big 2 REI
What ever, it's the same job and only the local attractions make a différence

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You ask for 2 REI when you apply. We need dudes like you. Motor pool, more than likely. Our véhicules are equiped with machine gun turrets. This fits your profile. Do not be gourmand on your requests/ wants. The Legion will decide for you. Going by what you have declared and if true (bring proof)..☆You are more and likely going to be posted to one of our infantery regiments, the 13 DBLE or the big 2 REI
What ever, it's the same job and only the local attractions make a différence
Local attractions aren't that big of a deal to me. I just want to be back in the infantry world. The aspect of getting deployed to Afghan, Africa or South America with a bunch of hard f*cks is what appeals to me. I'm sure there a decent local attractions at whatever base that I could possibly get sent to if indeed selected and earn the title but that's not why I'm volunteering. I'll def bring me military paperwork to prove that I was indeed a grunt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Our mob, (2 REI) are dug in the Baltic at the moment (Estonia)
Have you checked out our véhicules yet ?
Am sûre you will be in your element

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Our mob, (2 REI) are dug in the Baltic at the moment (Estonia)
Have you checked out our véhicules yet ?
Am sûre you will be in your element
I've never spent time in Europe besides landing in Germany and Ireland for all of 5 mins going to and leaving Iraq. I'll have to read up on Estonia. I looked up your newer infantry vehicles, the vbci's, they kind of resemble our styker vehicles from what I can tell a bit. I've never rolled in a wheeled APC type vehicle. The mech unit I was in rolled in Bradley's. I'm sure you've seen them or hell even worked with them if you worked with coalition forces. They're the tracked infantry vehicles with the 25mm, 7.62 coax and TOW system. I'll do some more research on the vbci vehicle that your unit uses get a better idea of them. 2REi being a mech unit def would fit my military back ground though. Is there any books you recommend reading before I leave so that I can suck up some more knowledge to prepare better mentally and physically for what boot camp life shall be like and just the overall world/mindset of the legion. I've read some articles and an officer I served with recommended a book and gave me some incite, he did some work with y'all when he was with special forces. Like I said earlier I'll take any advice that's given. Appreciate what advice you've given already.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Sure there is. ..my posts
Btw, the big 2 has the second version of the VBCI
Go to the thread, 'Operation Barkhane'(Mali Opex)...There's a few pic's and a vid if i remember correctly. ..of our mob being hit by a Kamikaze and the dislocating rear end axel
Will give you some proper in sight on what will be expected of you

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for info, have been reading up on that during the down times this morning here at work. Just wish I wasn't at a fire right now, that way I could be studying, training and working on both my mental and physical preparedness.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Carrying anything that shows you are looking for employment in the EU is highly likely to get you sent back to the US , better to scan and store certificates/qualifications on a cloud then print them off in France ,EU immigration may also insist on looking at your phone to see massages and emails , will they show you intend working in the EU? maybe better to have a burner phone with little on it .

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Carrying anything that shows you are looking for employment in the EU is highly likely to get you sent back to the US , better to scan and store certificates/qualifications on a cloud then print them off in France ,EU immigration may also insist on looking at your phone to see massages and emails , will they show you intend working in the EU? maybe better to have a burner phone with little on it .
do they have a legal right to look at his private info? not saying you are wrong but what are the legal legislations here. I know they are big on protecting personal info (EU laws). However the Burner phone sounds good.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
do they have a legal right to look at his private info? not saying you are wrong but what are the legal legislations here. I know they are big on protecting personal info (EU laws). However the Burner phone sounds good.
When you are still airside you have not entered the country technically , you have to clear immigration to enter ,customs and immigration has every right to go through your things if they believe you are intending to break the law ,technically illegal working in this case , obstructing them / not giving passwords would see you back on the plane going home.
However I dont know how French immigration would react if you tell them you intend to join the Legion, obviously the Legion is a legit employer who employ`s foreigners but non EU nationals need a work permit to work in the EU , complicated , better for the OP to say they are a back packer in my view.