a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My week in Aubagne 2019 candidate

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Acclimatized as to the weather conditions? Or perhaps you are talking about the sudden culture difference, food etc? I'd say it really does not matter which place you turn up at if that is the case. The south of France is obviously warmer than Paris, but otherwise there is no difference.
I don't necessarily mean to the weather, food, etc., more so to the Legion culture and just interacting with those who are Legionnaires. In my mind it may help to have that extra time of interacting before being interviewed for real...but than again, there are other risks as well.

I do not care personally as to where I'll be exited if not selected or not getting paid for work for a period of time. I have feet to walk with and a week's time is a vapor in the wind compared to all the possibilities.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
They are some times sent from Paris to Aubange by bus (saw that on a T.V. docu (bus is / was a TRACER = 52 Pax / - the driver, the Chef de detatchment and his adjoint. ..= 49 potienal recruits (?)
Summer time the trains going south are always loaded or on strike. .
Re, not paid in Paris. ..I remain doubtful
Once you enter a military base / camp. The State is responsable for you (liability, insurance, accidents and what ever)
Making you do Corvée and not get paid for it. They have severe laws for undeclared working, in France
Accidents do happen
You might slice a finger working in the kitchen. ..slip on a bar of soap cleaning the showers etc
How do you explain that to the hospital. ..a more or less serious accident for un paid work in the Legion ?
Even the Jail birds get privileges for mopping a floor
Also, no one can force a prisonnier to work against his will
We need more feed back
It's a costly trip from Paris to Aubange
I'm sure if someone slices a finger off or ends up in hospital there are procedures to take care of that. The people that I'm talking about are those that have joined, had their names changed and not taken in (without a scratch) who would they complain to if they don't get paid?

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
We need more feed back
It's a costly trip from Paris to Aubange
I was actually keeping a mental note of things when I was in Aubagne so I could bring back knowledge. My good memory is a source of pride for me.

I questioned some of the guys that arrived from Paris. Usually no more than 10 arrived at a time ever.

They all told me was sh$t in Paris. Week+ of waiting and slave labour after doing their checks.

Remember us boys in Aubagne go blue in 3 days. These lads in Paris were bumming around for a week just to get here.

And FdeN is not that great in terms of condition apparently. Same number of candidates, but it was pretty sh$t from what I was told.

Would you say there are at least some possible benefits of going to Paris first? Maybe it can help to get acclimated to handle oneself better when it really counts in Aubagne so it's not a complete shock? Just try to weight pros and cons for each route.
Aubagne in summer is hot. Very easy to be sunburnt and your luc leger performance will be different.

But the old bit of advice is still the same;
If you have money and connections go Aubagne.
If you don't have money and connections go Paris.
If you want the fastest and best chance go Aubagne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I was actually keeping a mental note of things when I was in Aubagne so I could bring back knowledge. My good memory is a source of pride for me.

I questioned some of the guys that arrived from Paris. Usually no more than 10 arrived at a time ever.

They all told me was sh$t in Paris. Week+ of waiting and slave labour after doing their checks.

Remember us boys in Aubagne go blue in 3 days. These lads in Paris were bumming around for a week just to get here.

And FdeN is not that great in terms of condition apparently. Same number of candidates, but it was pretty sh$t from what I was told.

Aubagne in summer is hot. Very easy to be sunburnt and your luc leger performance will be different.

But the old bit of advice is still the same;
If you have money and connections go Aubagne.
If you don't have money and connections go Paris.
If you want the fastest and best chance go Aubagne.

I guess the 7 pull ups is before coming to Aubagne if you go to Paris? That's the only test you do in Paris? Or by checking you mean all tests? I will go to Paris via bus most likely and then walk to the Légion étrangère, Fort de Nogent. It is 10 km from the bus station. In that case I don't need any money when I arrive to Paris and I can probably go to the Swedish embassy if something wrong happens.

Slave labour.. well at least you get paid and most likely it is a test to prove your will.

Why would you have a greater chance going to Aubange then Paris?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I guess the 7 pull ups is before coming to Aubagne if you go to Paris? That's the only test you do in Paris? Or by checking you mean all tests? I will go to Paris via bus most likely and then walk to the Légion étrangère, Fort de Nogent. It is 10 km from the bus station. In that case I don't need any money when I arrive to Paris and I can probably go to the Swedish embassy if something wrong happens.

Slave labour.. well at least you get paid and most likely it is a test to prove your will.

Why would you have a greater chance going to Aubange then Paris?
You should have money for any emergency. Not a good Plan really turning up with no dough. Can't just depend on your embassy.

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
You should have money for any emergency. Not a good Plan really turning up with no dough. Can't just depend on your embassy.

You'll make money during the selection process right? That should be enough to a ticket back to Sweden. I'm sure they can sort out a bus ticket for me in worst case scenario.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You'll make money during the selection process right? That should be enough to a ticket back to Sweden. I'm sure they can sort out a bus ticket for me in worst case scenario.
Up to you but you might not get payed in Paris or so people say on here. Should have money for a Ticket & food. But I wish you luck bro 👍

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Earlier you would get paid basically from day 1. (some small amount I think it was 15 € per day). As from what I'm hearing from guys who were in selection and coming here, now things are bit different. As I understood they only paying you after you get in rouge (red) faze. Is that correct guys? (Or some other ... maybe blue faze? I'm not sure. Someone would know.)

And no they will not "sort out" anything for you if you get rejected. You will probably get ticket from Marseille to Paris (If you join in Paris) and that's it. Yes you can probably earn enough money for ticket to Sweden if you stay long enough, but then if you stay that long you will probably get accepted so that doesn't matter. ;)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I think that they only start paying you money from the moment you get to Aubagne, with back pay when you were in Paris. Toxic, I've never met you right? I would advice you take get rid of the earrings and any body 'pins' etc. Un-dye your hair. Turn up with a smart pair of jeans which sit comfortably around the waist as opposed to half way down your backside. Appearance can make an impression.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Save enough money for one way cheap flight to Marseilles and one way cheap flight from anywhere in France to home.

Go to Aubagne unless you are absolutely poor and have zero connections or travel ability.

Why Aubagne?
Better chance of selection, 3 days to blue instead of 7+ days waiting around in Paris to be sent over.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
As far as I remember, you had to arrive at Immigration in France with a return ticket and enough money to see you through your trip just to be let in. Or am I mistaken?

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Paris or Aubagne? When you go to the butchers you talk to the butcher, not the chopping board. Turn up at big gate looking clean and respectful. Egos...and a ‘know all’ attitude will go down like a lead ballon. Have your passport in your top pocket ready to give to the Sgt, or the cantankerous, blood shot eyed C/Chef.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
As far as I remember, you had to arrive at Immigration in France with a return ticket and enough money to see you through your trip just to be let in. Or am I mistaken?
Don't think so.

There was a recruit that went to Paris, arrived in Aubagne and got his blue kit shortly after my wave.
Told me he came with one way ticket, if he was rejected he would call home and have a ticket back home booked by his parents.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don't think so.

There was a recruit that went to Paris, arrived in Aubagne and got his blue kit shortly after my wave.
Told me he came with one way ticket, if he was rejected he would call home and have a ticket back home booked by his parents.
Good mummy & daddy were there for him 😆

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
He was a fossil man.
He was older than the goddamn C-CPL by almost a decade!
Maybe mummy & daddy thought it might make him a Real Man 😄 wanted rid of him... Please Send him to the jungle. So what happened to him?

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Maybe mummy & daddy thought it might make him a Real Man 😄 wanted rid of him... Please Send him to the jungle. So what happened to him?
Alas no clue.

He was pretty skilled though (I think 37 or 38? years old). Got 10 or 11 on Luc leger, went blue.
He was unable to join the marines last second due to pneumonia when he was younger, then he worked as a coach for a few years.

Knew French, Spanish, English. He said if he became a Legionnaire, he would stay for life/retirement.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Alas no clue.

He was pretty skilled though (I think 37 or 38? years old). Got 10 or 11 on Luc leger, went blue.
He was unable to join the marines last second due to pneumonia when he was younger, then he worked as a coach for a few years.

Knew French, Spanish, English. He said if he became a Legionnaire, he would stay for life/retirement.
Sounds like he had a good Chance but How long can you seriously Serve at his age? Maybe 5 years in a combat company then in a support company.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Starting off in a combat company at that age is all well and good. However unless you are really keen and really motivated, you will be quickly drawn to the support company.
It's like any army, the combat company's are for the younger ones.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Starting off in a combat company at that age is all well and good. However unless you are really keen and really motivated, you will be quickly drawn to the support company.
It's like any army, the combat company's are for the younger ones.
I remember the fatty bloaters were sent to the Mt.. 😆 Not all were but some of them.