a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING Hello Everyone, Good to Be Here.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello Everyone,
Thanks for having me on your forum. I never thought I'd be interested in the legion, but man, the fever has me.
I'm 32, medically retired US Navy submariner. Now a US Navy cyber security contractor. I have it good, really good. That's the problem. My life is comfortable, too much so.
When I was a submariner, we held each other to the highest standards. If you were a sh*t bag, you got kicked out. It was that simple. Our lives depended on counting on the guy next to you. No room for hurt feelings or bullsh*t. I loved it. Until I got a herniated cervical disk in my neck, that is. That ended my submarine career. Even though I got it fixed with an artificial disk, it was too late. My fate had been sealed.
Well I'm pretty smart so I got into cyber security, make great money and live an easy life. I am surrounded by soft, lazy, albeit intelligent coworkers. I am not raising them up to my standard, I am sinking to theirs. Everyone is trying to get out of work, not get the mission done. I hate it. I feel like I have no meaning. My grandfather was Navy, my father was Navy, and I was Navy. The military runs through my veins and I just want back in a family like that again.

The thought of joining the legion has given me hope. Hope that I can be in the military again. This is the fist time in awhile that I've had that.

I've read this forum, and tried to find an answer to the following question:
"Is the artificial disk in my neck an automatic disqualifier for Legion service?"

Thank you for taking the time to give this a read.

Respectfully,

Spectrely

P.S. For the curious, here is one of the best articles ever written on submarine life.

Last edited by a moderator:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hello Everyone,
Thanks for having me on your forum. I never thought I'd be interested in the legion, but man, the fever has me.
I'm 32, medically retired US Navy submariner. Now a US Navy cyber security contractor. I have it good, really good. That's the problem. My life is comfortable, too much so.
When I was a submariner, we held each other to the highest standards. If you were a shit bag, you got kicked out. It was that simple. Our lives depended on counting on the guy next to you. No room for hurt feelings or bullshit. I loved it. Until I got a herniated cervical disk in my neck, that is. That ended my submarine career. Even though I got it fixed with an artificial disk, it was too late. My fate had been sealed.
Well I'm pretty smart so I got into cyber security, make great money and live an easy life. I am surrounded by soft, lazy, albeit intelligent coworkers. I am not raising them up to my standard, I am sinking to theirs. Everyone is trying to get out of work, not get the mission done. I hate it. I feel like I have no meaning. My grandfather was Navy, my father was Navy, and I was Navy. The military runs through my veins and I just want back in a family like that again.

The thought of joining the legion has given me hope. Hope that I can be in the military again. This is the fist time in awhile that I've had that.

"Is the artificial disk in my neck an automatic disqualifier for Legion service?"

Respectfully,

Spectrely

P.S. For the curious, here is one of the best articles ever written on submarine life.
Welcome to this forum.
Personally, I think it is unlikely to be accepted with an artificial cervical disk, but only the doctor can decide whether you are OK to serve.
Once you passed the initial medical and physical tests you might have a chance to be accepted for further tests and interviews.
Keep in mind that being 35 is not in your favor, therefore I would recommend to have a return ticket.
That is not only to get back home in case of being rejected, but also to show border officials that you are not planning on staying longer in France than the allowed 90 days without a visa.
Use the search function and read the stickies for answers to a lot of questions you may have.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Welcome to this forum.
Personally, I think it is unlikely to be accepted with an artificial cervical disk, but only the doctor can decide whether you are OK to serve.
Once you passed the initial medical and physical tests you might have a chance to be accepted for further tests and interviews.
Keep in mind that being 35 is not in your favor, therefore I would recommend to have a return ticket.
That is not only to get back home in case of being rejected, but also to show border officials that you are not planning on staying longer in France than the allowed 90 days without a visa.
Use the search function and read the stickies for answers to a lot of questions you may have.

Voltigeur,
Thanks for your quick reply. It has me feeling like this guy:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,
When I was a submariner, we held each other to the highest standards. If you were a shit bag, you got kicked out. It was that simple. Our lives depended on counting on the guy next to you. No room for hurt feelings or bullshit. I loved it. Until I got a herniated cervical disk in my neck, that is. That ended my submarine career. Even though I got it fixed with an artificial disk, it was too late. My fate had been sealed.

Respectfully,

Spectrely

I had a C6/C7 never did an OP. Now i can train nö problem. I spoke to a woman who had the OP. You can't See a scare it's so fine. She can do everything like she could before. You might be ok. But as mentioned only The doctors will say. If you can't See the scar or it Looks like a wrinkle on the neck i would not say anything. I swear i could not tell looking at the woman she had, had the OP.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I had a C6/C7 never did an OP. Now i can train nö problem. I spoke to a woman who had the OP. You can't See a scare it's so fine. She can do everything like she could before. You might be ok. But as mentioned only The doctors will say. If you can't See the scar or it Looks like a wrinkle on the neck i would not say anything. I swear i could not tell looking at the woman she had, had the OP.
Yeah, mine was pinching a nerve and hurt like hell. I was walking around feeling great the day after OP. Funny thing about not telling people, is one time I had a routine Xray for something, and the tech rushes in and is like "WTF is up with your neck, are you ok?!?!"
Apparently He thought I was a robot.

I'm going to continue training, and in a few years, around 35 I'm going to go and give it a try. I should be insanely fit in 2-3 years, and financially ready to make close to $0 for half a decade.

The fact that there is a slim chance just makes me want to have all my ducks in a row and go for the shot. If I don't make it, I don't make it, but it won't be because I wasn't ready.

Thank you all again for taking the time to offer your help.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yeah.. My tricep right arm & Fingers were Hit by it. The disc went back and the nerves are free now. Had to start slowly again. The surgeon said after a new disc you'll be able to train again after 4months. I never wanted the OP. Mind you you'll be older too when/if you go. Definetly speak to the surgeon about your Plans. If he says forget it.. I would forget it 😉

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank god it fixed itself. Isn't it wild how far we can push our bodies and how they can adapt?
Military docs play it safe, I'll train how I expect to get beat, and I'll know if I've pushed too far. If my body can't take it, it can't take it. I'll practice being a "sexpert" instead with the girl's around here. My newly learned shitty French should earn me some college girls.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Spectrely and welcome to the forum.
You will have a medical questionnaire to fill in, in English or your native language, about you medical history.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, Spectrely and welcome
Perso, i would say,"am no Doctor and an artificielle disc is a no - go"
And your age dosen't play in your favours
Post Shitum :
Do not make rejection an obsession

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi, Spectrely and welcome
Perso, i would say,"am no Doctor and an artificielle disc is a no - go"
And your age dosen't play in your favours
Post Shitum :
Do not make rejection an obsession

Thank you for the reply, but I do not understand your advice.

What do you mean by: "Do not make rejection an obsession?"

Are you saying that if I am rejected, I should let go and move on with things?
Thanks

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you for the reply, but I do not understand your advice.

What do you mean by: "Do not make rejection an obsession?"

Are you saying that if I am rejected, I should let go and move on with things?
Thanks
To piggy back on Le petition caporals statement...fix your mind on being selected, not on being rejected.