a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Specific Questions / My Background

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Specific Questions | Have Read Hundreds of Posts
renderTimingPixel.png

Apologies for my format, I can’t seem to have it spaced how I intended via the phone app.
Age 25 American, Have tattoos that cover up scars from when I was 16. Attempting to join the FFL because the US denied me for life from “self-harm”.
Just finished my last year of Collegiate Gymnastics. Previous injuries 2 Knee surgeries Meniscus removal from when I was 17. Scars are hardly noticeable but noticeable if you’re looking for them. I’m going for 2REP GCP after all my research. Obviously lie I’ve never cut myself (from when I was 16 was only top of arms never suicidal). Lie I’ve never had knee surgeries (As they have zero effect on me)
Current Athletic Times :
Pull ups : 22,
Push-Ups 70,
Sit Ups 100,
2 mile Run 12 minutes,
11mins 30 seconds 500m Swim Combat Side Stroke (CSS)
I’ve practiced the Luc Leger got to level 11 (Not sure if I have the right sound files or not)
Average Ruck Time on hilly terrain / 14 mins a mile with 50lbs
Furthest Ruck 8 miles (2 hours w/ 50lbs)
Furthest Run 5 miles (50 mins)
Training for a minimum of 3 more months before I head out
I understand some French and Speak a little equivalent of 1 years worth of college recently learned/learning past year.
I’m currently training the PAST (Air Force PJ selection training) and am training with Airmen / PJ and the Airforce buddies I have. Scored an 80 on the ASVAB so I’m not worried about the IQ tests.
What are my chances of rejection if scars are noticed through tattoos ? When lying and not breaking. Same with my knees which are not tattooed. Do I get more tattoos that flow with my current to make them non visible? Insights, opinions? Partially concerned about the why not join your own military question but that’s about it. I am also missing my right pectoral muscle (born without it) It obviously doesn’t hold me back from anything athletic, it’s more of a look / if I take a bullet there it’s straight rib cage. Our military had no issue with it. Only if it’s con-caved would they.
Would love any feed back / criticism potential things I should work on etc.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Of course the doctor will look for them.
It was more of the chances with a reasonable story of how they occurred injuries outside / active liftestyle and having tattoos that cover them up. & the missing pectoral was not an issue with the US military.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What's up man. When youre in aubagne they really look hard at your knee for scares so if you lie get some good ink to cover that up as much as you can. They never found my hip surgery scar but never did I get naked to the point where they'd see it. Or you can bring a doctor's note saying that you had surgery and it's now a complete recovery. With a copy of an x ray.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What's up man. When youre in aubagne they really look hard at your knee for scares so if you lie get some good ink to cover that up as much as you can. They never found my hip surgery scar but never did I get naked to the point where they'd see it. Or you can bring a doctor's note saying that you had surgery and it's now a complete recovery. With a copy of an x ray.
I could post a picture of what the scars look like, the surgery was arthroscopic so its very diffcullt to tell, but a doctor would catch it I'm sure, I read somewhere if you've had an knee surgery regard meniscus 2REP is out of the equation regardless of you being 100% or not.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I could post a picture of what the scars look like, the surgery was arthroscopic so its very diffcullt to tell, but a doctor would catch it I'm sure, I read somewhere if you've had an knee surgery regard meniscus 2REP is out of the equation regardless of you being 100% or not.
You are correct sir. You would be inapt for the REP. But that's for good reason your falling from an airplane at 8 meteres per second, the ground comes up fast and hard. Trust me you don't want to mess your leg up just cause you want to be the REP. There are many good infantry units in the legion. I heard my chef say that 2REI is coming out with a commando unit, you could go there. Or join dinops or the jaguars in 3rei. There's a job here for you don't mess up your leg permanently just to come to the REP.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You are correct sir. You would be inapt for the REP. But that's for good reason your falling from an airplane at 8 meteres per second, the ground comes up fast and hard. Trust me you don't want to mess your leg up just cause you want to be the REP. There are many good infantry units in the legion. I heard my chef say that 2REI is coming out with a commando unit, you could go there. Or join dinops or the jaguars in 3rei. There's a job here for you don't mess up your leg permanently just to come to the REP.

What type of parachutes are used in 2REP? Are they still rounded or are they square chutes? I only ask because I already jump out of planes, but we use square chutes. & plus the gymnastics background I have the amount of force we pull on some landings are intense and if you have weak legs you’d blow up your knees, but I’ve been in the sport for years.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
What type of parachutes are used in 2REP? Are they still rounded or are they square chutes? I only ask because I already jump out of planes, but we use square chutes. & plus the gymnastics background I have the amount of force we pull on some landings are intense and if you have weak legs you’d blow up your knees, but I’ve been in the sport for years.
Calvi

Attachments

• 834F456F-014E-467D-9EBD-DA2EFD19C405.jpeg
    834F456F-014E-467D-9EBD-DA2EFD19C405.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6
  • F4000D41-B963-437B-8051-39DE1DBBF4F8.jpeg
    F4000D41-B963-437B-8051-39DE1DBBF4F8.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 6638C347-A679-476F-8191-534D16F14AFF.jpeg
    6638C347-A679-476F-8191-534D16F14AFF.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
They changed chutes the old tp511 is terrible compared to the new one which I can't renege the name for the life of me right now. But both are circular. The new one is wonderful and you don't hit that hard. The old one ko'd me on my second jump. This isn't like parachuting in the civilian world. The object is to get you to the ground as fast as possible without killing you. So you drop at 300 meters or even 250meters and fall at 8 meters per second. It's really fun but you can get hurt real fast. I'm in the infirmary right now and everyone here has a broken leg.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
They changed chutes the old tp511 is terrible compared to the new one which I can't renege the name for the life of me right now. But both are circular. The new one is wonderful and you don't hit that hard. The old one ko'd me on my second jump. This isn't like parachuting in the civilian world. The object is to get you to the ground as fast as possible without killing you. So you drop at 300 meters or even 250meters and fall at 8 meters per second. It's really fun but you can get hurt real fast. I'm in the infirmary right now and everyone here has a broken leg.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah there’s a place in Florida that allows you to do HALO and HAHO drops I wonder if I can snag a chute that’s the same as what y’all use and go practice them before I head over because I’m sure those r the drops y’all are doing and that’s the reason for injury , HALO I’m guessing

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you could / are allowed to post the exact parachute that they currently use I’ll do my best to get my hands on one for practice at 250m which is roughly 800ft still 400feet higher than some military training here as well

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Photo...DZ Calvi 1990. I only ever had one bad jump in the Legion. Grand Bara, (Djibouti), there was a hell of gale blowing. They let us jump because it’s all flat desert.

Attachments

• 4E0409BB-2B13-4844-B74F-EA73ABA39B9D.jpeg
    4E0409BB-2B13-4844-B74F-EA73ABA39B9D.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Photo...DZ Calvi 1990. I only ever had one bad jump in the Legion. Grand Bara, (Djibouti), there was a hell of gale blowing. They let us jump because it’s all flat desert.
Oh I can’t find anyone sorry I thought Buffalo said they recently changed the chute, ty for the info I appreciate it

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you could / are allowed to post the exact parachute that they currently use I’ll do my best to get my hands on one for practice at 250m which is roughly 800ft still 400feet higher than some military training here as well
If you can get your hands on the army t11 chute or the French army tp511 you should be fine for training. Do you have the ability to do static line jumps?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The jump base out here always has former military and military training so I believe they have an aircraft that was that capability I’d have to check with them but I think that’s something they do with the right personnel on site

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
5273Perfect the training course here in my state offers military training with the T11 & I assume they’ll let me purchase my own

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The jump base out here always has former military and military training so I believe they have an aircraft that was that capability I’d have to check with them but I think that’s something they do with the right personnel on site
How much does that cost to do out there?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Probably 1k for 10 jumps of that type it’s like 3.3k for your cert license A. Depends how far you go how many times etc if you’re already certified it’s like 20$ a jump or 16$ if you’re military or student