a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caylus

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Greetings and salutations,
Cuylus (probably spelled wrong), this was my favorite time at Castel. This is the phase where you learn to shoot or at least the basics. You also learn to throw real granades and blow up a lb of dynamite.
So you stay in a barn that looks like it was made in 1800. And cuylus is really wet and cold. But you get to bring all of your gear so you'll be well outfitted.
When you get there you are tasked with setting up everything then you get a crash course on handling all your weapons with live ammo. You do alot of marching here especially with the 50.cal but only a back pack not your ruck sack and the farthest you go is like 8k maybe. So not to bad. All though the. 50 cal is really heavy after 5k.
My section really drinks alot. Like alot. And from what I've been told my experience was not like most. But they sold us alcohol at every meal. As much as you can afford. Even when you are out shooting. Which is kinda dangerous but really fun.
On the day that we had a shooting test everyone got really really drunk and tons of us missed our targets completely. My self included. For punishment I had to Marche the. 50 back by myself. It was worth it I had so much fun.
The day we blew up tnt they made us go to bed at 8 pm and didn't let us drink anything. I suppose because it's pretty dangerous. But when we threw granades we got hammered again. The logic defys me but nothing bad happened so no harm no foul.
While there you will shoot targets at 400, 300 200 100, 50, and 25 yards mostly with the famas. Although you do shoot the hk417 a few times. You also use night vision and do some sketch night shooting at 300 yards when you can see anything.
But as I said between shooting and drinking it was the best time I had at the 4RE. Each night was a party.
The hardest night of drinking was then followed up by a 8k full battle rattle run. Full gear with your gun and helmet. People were puking while running it was exactly what I expected from the French army. People drunk but still accomplishing the task no matter what the cost.
After a week of this I saw ready to go back to base.
Cheers,
B. B. CODY

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Cuylus (probably spelled wrong), this was my favorite time at Castel. This is the phase where you learn to shoot or at least the basics. You also learn to throw real granades and blow up a lb of dynamite.
So you stay in a barn that looks like it was made in 1800. And cuylus is really wet and cold. But you get to bring all of your gear so you'll be well outfitted.
When you get there you are tasked with setting up everything then you get a crash course on handling all your weapons with live ammo. You do alot of marching here especially with the 50.cal but only a back pack not your ruck sack and the farthest you go is like 8k maybe. So not to bad. All though the. 50 cal is really heavy after 5k.
My section really drinks alot. Like alot. And from what I've been told my experience was not like most. But they sold us alcohol at every meal. As much as you can afford. Even when you are out shooting. Which is kinda dangerous but really fun.
On the day that we had a shooting test everyone got really really drunk and tons of us missed our targets completely. My self included. For punishment I had to Marche the. 50 back by myself. It was worth it I had so much fun.
The day we blew up tnt they made us go to bed at 8 pm and didn't let us drink anything. I suppose because it's pretty dangerous. But when we threw granades we got hammered again. The logic defys me but nothing bad happened so no harm no foul.
While there you will shoot targets at 400, 300 200 100, 50, and 25 yards mostly with the famas. Although you do shoot the hk417 a few times. You also use night vision and do some sketch night shooting at 300 yards when you can see anything.
But as I said between shooting and drinking it was the best time I had at the 4RE. Each night was a party.
The hardest night of drinking was then followed up by a 8k full battle rattle run. Full gear with your gun and helmet. People were puking while running it was exactly what I expected from the French army. People drunk but still accomplishing the task no matter what the cost.
Cheers,
B. B. CODY
Ha Ha ...no wonder Paps loved the Legion :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Cheers,
B. B. CODY

Forgive me for my question, any older candidates in your section? I am 33 myself and giving it a go in three months.

Hope you enjoy it all. Take care of yourself.

Regards,

Anthony

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It does not reflect from my memories of the early days of selection/ training, yes their is guys that like a drink but from my memory we also did the job just don’t think it reflects a good image of the Legion it’s more! It’s far better than a section of drunks! Be good to hear the angle of response from others regardless.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Get pished when the occasion happens. ..
Sacrifised my best years for honore et fidélité bull
Should of haved a dozen grand weans running around my ankles by now
Officiers have

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It does not reflect from my memories of the early days of selection/ training, yes their is guys that like a drink but from my memory we also did the job just don’t think it reflects a good image of the Legion it’s more! It’s far better than a section of drunks! Be good to hear the angle of response from others regardless.
Don’t think the OP Meant it bad. Just funny times. Happens as you know in every army. I knew some argylls who were bams 😆

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Sounds like the legion has relaxed a lot from my days in Algeria. I only returned to basic training camp in Mascara after our first evening in town, 4 months into training, was a bit drunk, was spending the night in jail and cleaning out the toilets the next day. Sounds like the legion is going a bit soft to me all right. Certainly no alcohol at training or shooting. That would have been a no-no indeed.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sounds like the legion has relaxed a lot from my days in Algeria. I only returned to basic training camp in Mascara after our first evening in town, 4 months into training, was a bit drunk, was spending the night in jail and cleaning out the toilets the next day. Sounds like the legion is going a bit soft to me all right. Certainly no alcohol at training or shooting. That would have been a no-no indeed.
Yeah I'm pretty sure this was just my section that got these privileges. Most the guys I've spoken with didn't have the same experience. Although I'm not complaining, I had a blast

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Yeah guys being drunk during training isn't really a good showing (regardless of safety and discipline issues) of what's to come nor would I want to be in a fight alongside them. There is a time for getting pissed and for training, sounds very civil not very military

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Cheers,
B. B. CODY
just never have been a big drinker, I really don’t like being intoxicated that being said, do I have to participate in all the drinking? I’m not a lame or anything like that I love to hang out and shoot the sh$t with drunk people or sober people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Sounds like old-school training. I'm almost jealous. Get in bro.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like old-school training. I'm almost jealous. Get in bro.
At least you went bro maybe if you had gone a second time you would have got in. How often do they rotate the people selecting? Maybe others might have had a different opinion

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
At least you went bro maybe if you had gone a second time you would have got in. How often do they rotate the people selecting? Maybe others might have had a different opinion

I actually got in, but i squandered my shot with my stupid temper. I won't go again, the man that went there isn't around anymore. But thank you.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I actually got in, but i squandered my shot with my stupid temper. I won't go again, the man that went there isn't around anymore. But thank you.
Ah yes i think you mentioned it one time.. Never mind you can join our Hog Hunters. MC. 😆 😆

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Ah yes i think you mentioned it one time.. Never mind you can join our Hog Hunters. MC. 😆 😆
Got a mate in our local MC, or is it MCC? he tried to explain it to me once but didn't explain it all that well. :D