a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My visit to France

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Can’t watch it it says unavailable for some reason
Cooking snails.. Eats them later with his family. Moral of the Story.. When you get to France & kiss your first french chick.. Think about what was in her mouth 😲

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Often, the platoon, on a return from mission, would hire some place out of Nîmes and have a repas (meal) all together before going on leave. Some of my best memories.
And it ends up with a few songs. Seen that once when I was in Nîmes and coincidentally having dinner in the same restaurant as a group of legionnaires having a “repas cohésion”.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So frogs are like mushrooms, make sure you eat the right ones 😂

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Was in 91, I think. It closed down not long after and has since reopened, still on the same rue de la République, The Skab and La République
The restaurant with the best reputation is near Nîmes-Garons airport. Chef Michael Kayser.
Nowadays, I try to get to a resto at least once or twice a week and order only the plat du jour and a un quart de vin rouge. Was a time, up until recently, I would go every day. Budget isn't the same these days...

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
(...) Was a time, up until recently, I would go every day. Budget isn't the same these days...
Better be frugal mon ami. Europe, financially, is on the edge of a cliff. Brexit will be the trigger but there are systematic flaws in the European economy. For example, in order to change a financial regulation all member states have to agree. The US, East Asian, and OPEC countries can agree and change a regulation within hours. Europe? Four and a half years.
Hard times are coming brother.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello everyone. I'll leave the long explanation until later as I'm kn@ckered. But I can now get internet. Would anyone be good enough to re-put BBCody's video link. Thanks, I'm off for a shower and a sieste.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hello everyone. I'll leave the long explanation until later as I'm kn@ckered. But I can now get internet. Would anyone be good enough to re-put BBCody's video link. Thanks, I'm off for a shower and a sieste.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
And a good würst!
Depends on the type of würst, and the type of vin. And honestly, if it's würst, brot, and käse; I'd say skip the wine and drink beer. The Germans make excellent bread, cheese, and sausage; why not then wash them down with one of their superior brews?

I mean, Franco-Prussian fusion cuisine sounds cool as a concept; but in practice would be a disconcerted mess. Imagine a meal of Schwarzbrot, Brie triple crême, Weissewürst, and pinard. All of those things are awesome individually, but together? It just doesn't work.

Which reminds me of a story. A couple of stories, actually.